Questions for Sunday

jimmykc

I don't have much on the first question.

But something to ponder: Tom Crran's final year at Indiana, they accepted an NIT bid, rejected the home court offer, then played down at Georgia Tech and lost in the first round. That seemed rather worthless to do in the first place. But you could also argue that it's a travesty for the seniors to end a season short if there's still an opportunity to play more basketball. I'd leave the decision up to them.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

I'm ready to start layering for church and am tired of coach speculation so here are a couple of questions before leaving: Has anyone heard anything about our injury situation on Nana and Thomas? Does anyone think we should accept an NIT bid if one is extended? Now into the vortex!

I don't think we will be over .500 so I don't think we will get an NIT invite. 

I don't believe you have to be a .500 team any longer.  If Wikipedia is to be believed, the following is new starting last season. 

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2017 tournament. The main highlights are:

• Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records[clarification needed] to receive bids.
  • Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

In addition, the selection process was changed. ESPN no longer had a hand in the selection of the teams. Instead, a committee of former NCAA head coaches, chaired by Newton, and including Gene Keady (Purdue), Don DeVoe (Tennessee), Rudy Davalos, Les Robinson (NC State), Reggie Minton (Air Force), John Powers, and Carroll Williams among others, prepared a list of potential teams in advance.[50]

Beginning with the 2016 NIT, the committee makeup was restructured; committee members will serve a maximum four-year term, and the committee will feature a mix of current athletics administrators who are actively working at NCAA schools or conferences and former head college basketball coaches. Previously, the NIT Committee had eight members, all of whom had been former head college basketball coaches or athletics directors. The previous structure had no term limits or succession plan.[51]

Just now, 89Husker said:

If you are firing Miles, you don’t go to the NIT.  You get started on new coach. If we go to NIT, should be signal he is not firing Miles. 

They could still go to the NIT and simply turn it over to the assistants, similar to when Bo was fired and Barney coached the football team in a bowl game.  It would be unusual, but the players should not be penalized (then again perhaps they should) if their coach is removed.  

3 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don't believe you have to be a .500 team any longer.  If Wikipedia is to be believed, the following is new starting last season. 

The NCAA announced a revamped selection process starting with the 2017 tournament. The main highlights are:

• Teams are no longer required to have .500 or greater records[clarification needed] to receive bids.
  • Similar to the automatic bids the NCAA Tournament grants for all conference tournament champions, all teams that won regular-season conference championships but failed to earn NCAA tournament bids are guaranteed places in the NIT.

In addition, the selection process was changed. ESPN no longer had a hand in the selection of the teams. Instead, a committee of former NCAA head coaches, chaired by Newton, and including Gene Keady (Purdue), Don DeVoe (Tennessee), Rudy Davalos, Les Robinson (NC State), Reggie Minton (Air Force), John Powers, and Carroll Williams among others, prepared a list of potential teams in advance.[50]

Beginning with the 2016 NIT, the committee makeup was restructured; committee members will serve a maximum four-year term, and the committee will feature a mix of current athletics administrators who are actively working at NCAA schools or conferences and former head college basketball coaches. Previously, the NIT Committee had eight members, all of whom had been former head college basketball coaches or athletics directors. The previous structure had no term limits or succession plan.[51]

I get that its no longer a requirement - but their tournament is already the ugly stepchild compared to the NCAAs, I don't think they want to start inviting sub .500 teams. Looks like the last 2 years they didn't invite any sub .500 teams either, despite the new rule. 

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

They could still go to the NIT and simply turn it over to the assistants, similar to when Bo was fired and Barney coached the football team in a bowl game.  It would be unusual, but the players should not be penalized (then again perhaps they should) if their coach is removed.  

Yes, could be done. But conTrary to what the internets tell us, these players like Miles. Can’t see them playing really motivated w/o him.  Also, is their example in basketball where that has happened? I know in football not uncommon. 

3 minutes ago, 89Husker said:

Yes, could be done. But conTrary to what the internets tell us, these players like Miles. Can’t see them playing really motivated w/o him.  Also, is their example in basketball where that has happened? I know in football not uncommon. 

Georgia declined it last year, noting that it was due to a coaching change. LSU turned it down in 2016, noting it was due to missed expectations and wanting to move on to focusing on the next year.

And, although a side note, here's a fun fact for you. Georgia Tech (20-8) turned down an NCAA bid in favor of the NIT in 1971 because they said they didn't feel like they had a shot against UCLA and reminisced about how much fun they had in the NIT the year prior.

58 minutes ago, 89Husker said:

With all due respect, this made me chuckle just a tad.  My mind wandered back to the recent Penn State and Michigan games.  I will not argue that the players like Coach Miles.  I simply do not know, but I have been told they do like him.  Yet even with him in the aforementioned games, they did not play motivated basketball in my minds eye.  So if they did choose to play in the NIT with the assistant coaches leading them, could they be any less motivated?

Just now, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

If the players get invited and want to play then play.

This.

Also, question number three that kind of but doesn't necessarily have to do with us... 

Since the NIT is all about trying out new things and since the NIT doesn't really matter, I think it would be cool to let teams experiment with Redshirts and/or transfers without losing a year of eligibility.  Thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

With all due respect, this made me chuckle just a tad.  My mind wandered back to the recent Penn State and Michigan games.  I will not argue that the players like Coach Miles.  I simply do not know, but I have been told they do like him.  Yet even with him in the aforementioned games, they did not play motivated basketball in my minds eye.  So if they did choose to play in the NIT with the assistant coaches leading them, could they be any less motivated?

Funny how things get twisted to apply a narrative. Ohio St got plowed at Purdue by 35, and discussion is about their seeding in the Tourney.  NE gets beat by UM by 28 and it’s a reflection of the coach. Penn st wins 6 of 8 but our loss is Horrible, yet it’s another quad 1 loss. 

My original answer was get moving toward next year if you are firing him. If you go to NIT, them that’s a signal you are not firing him. 

2 hours ago, 89Husker said:

But contrary to what the internets tell us, these players like Miles. 

This is something I’d like an answer to or hear from some inside sources on. I’ve heard such different things. People I trust have shared their observation that they don’t think they like him or respect him. And I see that. But then I see certain interactions that seem contrary to that. Of course, I also see instances where I feel those interactions are fake and forced. I honestly can’t tell. 

I’d be willing to engage with this issue in another thread - but I’d hate for the thread police to come after me. ? (totally kidding)

the NITs getting to be a tough bid thanks to all the mid major conf champs that lose their tournaments. If we lose out, though, it won't matter. We're not going anywhere, nor should we. Really, this season just needs to be done.