PENN STATE GAME THREAD 3 -2-19

redsteve

18 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

hannah always had a knack for getting her pocket picked, but, i thought she looked more rattled at times this season. definitely not something you want out of your pg.

She sometimes dribbles the ball right in front of herself (when not  moving)...and right in front of he defender...bingo...someone else has has the ball.

But today...every possible type of turnover was made by lots of players.  Most were caused by the defenders interference...which is what they're supposed to do...we haven't yet figured out a solution.

Rightly or wrongly...with our subbing patterns we don't always have our best ball handler in the game when they need to be.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i thought brown may be headed towards freshman of the year for the huskers, but, i think it has to go to haiby. good argument for husker mvp, also.

Some kids just have a feel for the game.  I hope Sam's tenacity on the boards, and knack for being in the right place, rubs off on the rest of the team.  She carried us down 

the stretch (this game).  Seems like most players on the roster, have carried us at some time or another.  My MVP for the year, would be Nicea.  On an inconsistent team, she seemed to 'bring it', every game.    

Edited by 12dozen

1 hour ago, mwm89 said:

What bothers/concerns me is when they do pass over or up court, the next player holds onto the ball too long and allows the press to get right up on them.  Have also seen too many players dribble close to the out of bounds line and that works as an extra defender.  Can't say I know the answer, but things players and staff need to look at. :huh:

This is not to deny, however, that a great ball handler is in need- just expanding on your point.

Agree.   Many of the better teams, turn this type of pressure, into easy buckets.  Upgrading ball handlers, and athleticism, should help.  If not, might need to look at the coach.

That was one hell of a block that Nicea had on Page's 3 pt attempt near the end of the game.  Big, Big play.

On another topic Husker.com says we will either be a 6 or 7 seed.  

Does anyone know what has to happen for us to be the 6 ?  I would like us to get a win and then play Rutgers.  We need at least 2 wins.

15 minutes ago, HUD said:

That was one hell of a block that Nicea had on Page's 3 pt attempt near the end of the game.  Big, Big play.

On another topic Husker.com says we will either be a 6 or 7 seed.  

Does anyone know what has to happen for us to be the 6 ?  I would like us to get a win and then play Rutgers.  We need at least 2 wins.

I don't know how it will shake out, but Minnesota and MSU play tomorrow if Minny wins they each end 9-9. and we hold the tie breakers with both. If MSU wins they finish 10-8 and would be ahead of us. Purdue plays Indiana, if Purdue wins they finish 9-9, and we hold the tie breaker with them. If Indiana wins purdue finishes 8-10. If NorthWestern beats Iowa, NW finishes 10-8, if Iowa beats NW then NW finishes 9-9. we split head to head with them so it would come down to who beat and lost to, and who they beat and lost to. all of this is based on head to head with the teams listed. if all of the top plays out we could be the 6 seed.

Edited by Bugeaters1

12 hours ago, HB said:

Big game for the program.   Keeps a flicker of flame alive for some level of postseason play.   I don't have time to figure out what it does for the Big 10 tournament, but I assume a win would matter a couple of places at least for the regular season standings.   

I believe that after today's win, the Huskers need to win 2 in the BTT in order to be considered for the WNIT, unless the rule about a minimum .500 overall record no longer applies. 

But if we can win two in the BTT, we might as well try to win four!

It may be a bit late...but we're 4-2 in last 6 games...losing only to Maryland (reg season B1G champs  ), and Iowa...2nd in B1G champs.

Another win in tourney will be a big help...but alas is it too late??.... by only a couple of wins. 

Turnovers and an occasional poor shooting game.....will probably be on Coaches winter list to improve.

The three (so far) newbie 2019 recruits coming in will have a tough act to follow...the current fabulous four freshmen ......have been the most outstanding NU class ever?

Edited by redsteve

13 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Another win in tourney will be a big help...but alas is it too late??.... by only a couple of wins.

At the time we lost at Wisc. I thought it may come back to haunt us but boy did it turn out to be a huge loss possibly keeping us out of the WNIT.  I still think there is no way to pull off that .7 second last shot with an accurate time keeper.

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

It may be a bit late...but we're 4-2 in last 6 games...losing only to Maryland (reg season B1G champs  ), and Iowa...2nd in B1G champs.

Turnovers and an occasional poor shooting game.....will probably be on Coaches winter list to improve.

The three (so far) newbie 2019 recruits coming in will have a tough act to follow...the current fabulous four freshmen ......have been the most outstanding NU class ever?

Most outstanding freshman class ever. Maybe, maybe not.  Vonnie Turner, Corey Montgomery, Tiny Neals and Kayla Kuhlman were pretty good.  Two of them are still playing pro ball with Vonnie in the WNBA

Edited by Fastbreaker