It's about time for some off-topic

I bought a gallon -- that's right, a gallon -- of Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple barbecue sauce the other day.  I have tasted a crap ton of different barbecue sauces in my time, and this is easily the best I've ever had. Period. Absolutely fantastic on smoked brisket. If you make some burnt ends, this is the sauce I'd go with.

It has a complexity and depth of flavor that goes incredibly well with smoked beef or pork.

I have had sauces in the past where they tried to be a little different, and it never really sailed with me.  Habanero this or mango that or Carolina mustardish whatever else. Too different from "normal" barbecue sauce.  But the Rufus Teague has a certain je ne sais quoi that just really hits a sweet spot.

They don't share their recipe, so I don't quite know what they've done different, but I'd suggest picking up a $5.00 bottle at Hy-Vee or Scheels or wherever and give it a try.

Just a culinary suggestion from your buddy Norm.

Edited by Norm Peterson

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I bought a gallon -- that's right, a gallon -- of Rufus Teague Whiskey

I'm all about the barbecue sauces. Definitely will have to check it out.

But you had me worried for a second when I read the first 12 words of your post. I mean, I know this season has taken a major turns, but yeesh!

Since it's too cold to go outside yet and I am bored, I looked up Rufus Teague and discovered he is a figment of some marketer's imagination. This pulled me down society's current worm-hole of contention about what constitutes "racism". It seems nothing can escape looking through this prism on any subject which may be broached. It doesn't have any relevance to Norm's assessment of its taste, but I found it an interesting point about how almost anything is viewed now. By the way, my own taste buds are pretty well shot, but I like Famous Dave's "Sweet and Zesty".

Edited by jimmykc

8 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Since this thread has already headed way off-road, those Cub fans who may want some reading matter while they eat should check out the new Ernie Banks book reviewed in tomorrow's LJS. Just be sure not to get sauce on the pages.

Thanks for the heads up jimmy, I will have to check it out.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, Bill Self's Toupee said:

I am partial to Sweet Baby Rays... Sweet N' Spicy on my smoked Brisket and St. Louie Ribs.

Oh, and I really like using my grill and/or smokers in the winter!

At first I thought this was "dirty" talk lingo!!  LOL  I love Cookies Bar be cue sauce its awesome

On 3/1/2019 at 9:41 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I bought a gallon -- that's right, a gallon -- of Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple barbecue sauce the other day.  I have tasted a crap ton of different barbecue sauces in my time, and this is easily the best I've ever had. Period. Absolutely fantastic on smoked brisket. If you make some burnt ends, this is the sauce I'd go with.

It has a complexity and depth of flavor that goes incredibly well with smoked beef or pork.

I have had sauces in the past where they tried to be a little different, and it never really sailed with me.  Habanero this or mango that or Carolina mustardish whatever else. Too different from "normal" barbecue sauce.  But the Rufus Teague has a certain je ne sais quoi that just really hits a sweet spot.

They don't share their recipe, so I don't quite know what they've done different, but I'd suggest picking up a $5.00 bottle at Hy-Vee or Scheels or wherever and give it a try.

Just a culinary suggestion from your buddy Norm.

Building on your theme, were are your favorite BBQ places to eat in Lincoln/Omaha.

I'm partial to my own BBQ but with the weather being what it is I just don't have the desire to fight the cold and light up my smoker.

My favorite is Hog Wild in Omaha, thus far. On Fridays they have burnt ends. 

To answer you question I don't have a favorite BBQ sauce but i'm going to give Rufus Teague a try.

I've had success eating at Parker's Smokehouse - the one by the Ashland Golf course on the way to the SAC Museum (which is AWESOME, by the way).
This -- the one in Lincoln has consistently terrible service, but it's good in Ashland.

I'm a cretin but I actually didn't mind Dickey's... there used to be one decently close to my house but not anymore. But that was an "oh crap I don't feel like cooking tonight" staple. Most of all, though, I miss Skeeter Barnes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, ladyhusker said:

This -- the one in Lincoln has consistently terrible service, but it's good in Ashland.

I'm a cretin but I actually didn't mind Dickey's... there used to be one decently close to my house but not anymore. But that was an "oh crap I don't feel like cooking tonight" staple. Most of all, though, I miss Skeeter Barnes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The McD's of BBQ eateries.

8 hours ago, Bill Self's Toupee said:

I've had success eating at Parker's Smokehouse - the one by the Ashland Golf course on the way to the SAC Museum (which is AWESOME, by the way).

+1.

Parkers is good.  There's Phat Jack's on West O.  Ain't bad. I had pork belly burnt ends there once, which were pretty good.  I've since made them a couple of times at home.  Mine were more tender, but they're really fatty.  Taste great, but really fatty.

But you gotta love that Maillard reaction.