Chris Heady (OWH) Nebrasketball Story Coming This Weekend

3 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Speaking of weather, mother nature is also lamenting the fact Nebraska basketball tanked in 2019.  Since the road loss to Maryland January 2nd, Lincoln has received 33 inches of snow.  Normal is 11.  She's crying, but it's so fricking cold the tears are turning into snowflakes. (And I don't mean today's youth...)

Speaking of the weather, I'm a teacher. Starting with the Michigan State game, we had 4 snow/cold weather days where school got cancelled the day after we played. We lost all 4. It's as if God knew I needed a day to mourn each loss.

6 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Thanks @Bugeaters1 

(and with some good video illustrations)

Love or Hate: Real Reasons Why the Huskers are Sinking

See the Roll

Nebraska has done this thing all season long and it’s maddening. Since Isaac Copeland has gone out and Tanner Borchardt has replaced him in the starting five, it has gotten worse. 
The Huskers not only don’t dump it off to the roll man when he’s open on screen-and-roll plays, they don’t even look his direction.
Here they do it twice in one possession......
Brady Heiman runs a handoff here with Glynn Watson Jr. and is left wide open on the low block. You can literally see Carsen Edwards look in Heiman’s direction and choose to stay on his guy in the corner.
Watson never looks Heiman’s way, despite the fact Heiman’s man and Watson’s man are now both guarding him, and instead passes to Palmer, who drives into five Purdue defenders.
Other topics
Roby Isn’t Ready
What Happened to Palmer?
The Best Thing You’ll See

And don't miss the related article by Jacob Padilla
"Padding the Stats: Huskers' Issues Go Beyond a 'Player Situation"
https://hailvarsity.com/s/6318/padding-the-stats-huskers-issues-go-beyond-a-player-situation

Edited by Red Don

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

Thanks @Bugeaters1 

(and with some good video illustrations)

And don't miss the related article by Jacob Padilla
"Padding the Stats: Huskers' Issues Go Beyond a 'Player Situation"
https://hailvarsity.com/s/6318/padding-the-stats-huskers-issues-go-beyond-a-player-situation

The teams' mentality is weak because the teams' basketball IQ is weak. If you know ehat you are doing and prepared you are more confident.

One ancedote has frustrated me for years we get a 2 on 1 break and instead of making extra pass and taking easy 2 the lead guy almost always takes it.

2 or 3 years ago miles should have realized he needed a consultant or assistant for teaching offense. 

21 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The Huskers' downfall began when Miles couldn't get a consultant to fix his team's psyche? I can't believe that this is even a thing.

There are seven years of evidence one way or the other of Miles' ability. I'm absolutely fine if you think things are going to be better by keeping him, and I'll support him if he stays. But I really resent the idea that he's somehow a victim in this season's collapse. 

I don’t want to be rude, but this is a really obtuse take. I’m not even sure how to explain this because you’re missing the point at such a basic level. But let me just say this isn’t about Miles or whether he should keep his job, so all of that stuff about seven years of evidence completely misses the mark.

11 hours ago, Raidsker said:

The teams' mentality is weak because the teams' basketball IQ is weak. If you know ehat you are doing and prepared you are more confident.

One ancedote has frustrated me for years we get a 2 on 1 break and instead of making extra pass and taking easy 2 the lead guy almost always takes it.

2 or 3 years ago miles should have realized he needed a consultant or assistant for teaching offense. 

I thought I read on here within the last week Michael Lewis is that guy. So Miles followed your advice before you even suggested it.

12 hours ago, Raidsker said:

I think this more common now in college basketball.  The extra pass brings a turnover or charge more into play so if someone is backpedaling you finish over them.  I would be curious as to others thinking on this (not that it is the thread topic)

Just now, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

I think this more common now in college basketball.  The extra pass brings a turnover or charge more into play so if someone is backpedaling you finish over them.  I would be curious as to others thinking on this (not that it is the thread topic)

If open, would much rather have player 1 take it than risk the extra pass.  Player 2 will still be there to clean up the rebound if player 1 misses and it eliminates the possibility of a turnover.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

If open, would much rather have player 1 take it than risk the extra pass.  Player 2 will still be there to clean up the rebound if player 1 misses and it eliminates the possibility of a turnover.

"If open"... this was my point the first guy takes when not open. Like the link to story I quoted they don't recognize/see the open guy, too many times they don't seem to know where to go with the ball after one pass, etc. 

I don't know all the x and o details but I can tell ours looks different than other teams - passing, spacing, off ball movement... and results unfortunately kinda speak for themselves.

4 hours ago, HuskerPower #nato73 said:

statistically, I read that the odds of an "and one" increase by the lead taking it straight in if the defender fails to commit early enough, because once they do go to the ball they'll be coming from the side. 

in our case, given our bunny jitters, it's not a big deal either way. You have to make layups for this to even be interesting. 

Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry if someone already posted this, but I thought it was interesting. I can't see the current Heady article due to the paywall, but found this from late last year. 

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/we-re-still-building-that-culture-ex-navy-seal-helps/article_0243dbf2-e2c3-572b-8be1-3905f9f419f7.html

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don’t want to be rude, but this is a really obtuse take. I’m not even sure how to explain this because you’re missing the point at such a basic level. But let me just say this isn’t about Miles or whether he should keep his job, so all of that stuff about seven years of evidence completely misses the mark.

I’m sorry your Twitter account with your anonymous message board poster identity didn’t provide your psyche with the satisfaction you sought, so you had to come back here and read my obtuse post. Have a nice day. 

7 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

I’m sorry your Twitter account with your anonymous message board poster identity didn’t provide your psyche with the satisfaction you sought, so you had to come back here and read my obtuse post. Have a nice day. 

Wow. That's rude. Here I was trying not to be rude.

Anyway, I like my Twitter account. You're welcome to ignore it. But I made clear it was intended to be in addition to rather than instead of being here. So it's not really like I "came back" here. You missed the point on that one, too.

36 minutes ago, Meltor1 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. Sorry if someone already posted this, but I thought it was interesting. I can't see the current Heady article due to the paywall, but found this from late last year. 

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/we-re-still-building-that-culture-ex-navy-seal-helps/article_0243dbf2-e2c3-572b-8be1-3905f9f419f7.html

Welome

On 3/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, HB said:

Come on.   There was zero chance Moos was not firing Miles.   This article won't have a damn thing to do with it.    The criteria was established, not met, and we move on.   I've never seen such a bunch of overthinking in my life as this board.  

No one is claiming not keeping Riggins is the cause of Miles not making it.   The only issue is that the Department has been doing some strange, inconsistent, and selective shit for a few years.   It further shines light on Eichorst's banishment of anyone who ever said so much as hello to Bo Pelini.    This University is still not completely functional and working in sync at the highest levels.  Hopefully that can get improved in the future. 

DING DING DING

On 3/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Anyway, I like my Twitter account. You're welcome to ignore it. But I made clear it was intended to be in addition to rather than instead of being here. So it's not really like I "came back" here. You missed the point on that one, too.

You must not be too fond of it.  Most people on twitter are who they are.  Yet you remain Norm Peterson on twitter.  Quite telling.  

On 3/3/2019 at 3:43 PM, Raidsker said:

"If open"... this was my point the first guy takes when not open. Like the link to story I quoted they don't recognize/see the open guy, too many times they don't seem to know where to go with the ball after one pass, etc. 

I don't know all the x and o details but I can tell ours looks different than other teams - passing, spacing, off ball movement... and results unfortunately kinda speak for themselves.

What I see on fast breaks is that players seem to make the decision way to early instead of letting the play develop and make the decision in the moment...

To me it is like watching an option QB that makes the decision at the snap rather than making the decision to pitch the ball after reading the defense.

4 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

What I see on fast breaks is that players seem to make the decision way to early instead of letting the play develop and make the decision in the moment...

To me it is like watching an option QB that makes the decision at the snap rather than making the decision to pitch the ball after reading the defense.

Have to make the defender commit before making a decision. Also needs to be proper spacing so that 1 defender can't guard 2 guys. One problem is players are so freakish athletic  nowadays that they can cover lots of ground so things need to be done quick and precise. Especially with how much contact is allowed around the basket. 

Edited by rr52

On 3/3/2019 at 9:59 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Was speaking to someone else about this article and his concern was somewhat tied to this article. The article seems to show that Moos may not have given full support to the basketball program. Will a prospective candidate say no because there may not be total support from the athletic department? And maybe this possible lack of support is the reason Nebraska hasn't been able to bring in a top notch coach and had to settle with lesser choices.

1 hour ago, rr52 said:

Was speaking to someone else about this article and his concern was somewhat tied to this article. The article seems to show that Moos may not have given full support to the basketball program. Will a prospective candidate say no because there may not be total support from the athletic department? And maybe this possible lack of support is the reason Nebraska hasn't been able to bring in a top notch coach and had to settle with lesser choices.

Just posted something similar in another thread, and then read this -- but I'm right there with you, and didn't mean to poach your comments (just a Great Minds moment?). This isn't some new thing either -- we're STILL talking about the Shim-Sham debacle, and the nonsense of the Roburt Sallie mess -- and although things may be different going forward, history sure isn't on our side.

2 hours ago, rr52 said:

We had a sales staff of 3-4 people down in the southeastern part of the U.S.  They were constantly asking for new products to sell.  We met several of their requests, but the sales never increased (or should I say, appeared.)  After multiple months of trying to give them enough rope to hang themselves, I mean, all the things they wanted, we said "Start selling what you have and let's see some results."  Needless to say, they no longer are working for us.

I have no inside info on Moos/Miles.  Sometimes, you just need to sell with the tools you have been provided.

In light of some scrutiny directed at his athletic director in recent weeks, Scott Frost said today that “I’m as big a Bill Moos fan as you’ll find.” Frost said he “possibly wouldn’t be here” if not for Moos, who has hired at Nebraska less than two months ahead of Frost in 2017.

————

The Moos not lending full support to Miles has merit, but I also think Moos ability to connect with coaches will be an asset to us during a coaching search. This article speaks to one side, but I’m willing to bet there is a number of well respected  coaches across the nation that will speak highly of Moos No BS, down to earth style.

• 6 months later...