Chris Heady (OWH) Nebrasketball Story Coming This Weekend

OK, I don't plan to read the article but to be complete the writer should have tried to talk with both Riggins and Moos to get their opinions. Did he? Even the old "no comment" can be used effectively to imply a journalistic point. On the face of it, the appearance is that the AD simply didn't want this head coach to call the shots. Did anyone think otherwise after last year's one year extension? Would Moos have tried this maneuver if the coach's name had been Pitino, Self, Izzo, or Knight? Undoubtedly, there would have been broken furniture. Any "rule" can be circumvented if the person enforcing it wants to do so badly enough. Basically this "bombshell revelation" appears to rank right up there with Moe's "newspapers- over- Mable Hall-windows" and Danny's "Jose Ramos- ate- two- steaks" revelations. Now let's roll out the ball and finish out the end of this disappointing season for better or worse.

Edited by jimmykc

This is typical of major college sports.   I am guessing if you dig deep into Duke or UNC, you'd hear/see similar things about a skewed sense of resources for basketball above all else.   

At UN it is Football . . . .any fan of UN athletics has to be objective enough to know that Football is the Milk-Cow.   I am not being critical of it, just stating a fact.

Could Miles do a better job, no doubt, however, there is an equity problem if you have a double standard for program resouces allowance, then hold the coach accountable for not "doing enough".   When he tried to do more, you disallowed it, until football wanted the same, then it's okay.

Moos and others  will "officially"  say they want every program at UN to win at the highest level.  Here is a legitimate question.   

Would is really be acceptable if Basketball made it to the Sweet 16 every year and Football went 3-9 consistently and suddenly Nebraska was a "Basketball School"?  (Don't go down the path of Volleyball and Wrestling, which are great programs, I am talking revenue sports in Major colleges).

Does a new basketball coach win with the current athletic department philosophy?    Fix the bigger picture before you throw the baby out with the bath water.  Here's a better analogy, if the engine in your car blows up, you don't change the tires.

Maybe there is a better analogy from a business perspective.   If you have a poor business process, do you simply buy a new computer to run a bad process, or do you fix the process first.  All the new hardware in the world won't fix a poor process.

Edited by HuskerND
Clarification

1 hour ago, Raidsker said:

Heady wrote this back in October.

I can't  read today's article.

This dude is a consultant. I would highly doubt he was a free consultant. This it says he was hired.

https://www.starherald.com/sports/big_red_wrap/mens_basketball/we-re-still-building-that-culture-ex-navy-seal-helps/article_7e999771-0e29-525f-9615-9b8e7fd9626c.html

For just 99 cents to read it online, you can see for yourself that, among many many other interesting insights, the article says:

Because Riggins is a Nebraska alum, he didn’t charge Pelini or Cook a fee. Payment in the consulting field, Riggins said, is often more about who you work with, rather than pay. That’s common, Stark said. After his first few years in the 1990s, Stark didn’t charge NU, either.

Cook, a volleyball coaching legend, and Frost, Moos' first hire, were both allowed to bring in consultants to help with issues they found in their team. Miles, on the hot seat this season, was not, despite feeling progress was made with a free service. Before the season, at Big Ten basketball media day in Chicago, players agreed Riggins' presence was helpful.

10 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Okay folks. Friendly Faux Mike Peltz here- with a few thoughts, after reading every post in this thread so far. In summary, I think this is why Jack Mitchell went on his mini rant during the post game show.  There is a difference between having resources and facilities, and 100% unequivocal support.  And there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Miles didn’t always get that from Eichorst and Moos, and that needs to change, like now. So here goes: 

1) Read the article.  Don’t come to a conclusion based on a cliff notes version.  The article is insightful and gives plenty of specific details regarding the use of outside consultants, and what other Husker coaches are doing as well.

2) For those asking if the seal would make the team better at X’s and O’s, or a better shooter, my honest belief is yes.  Why?  Because our mental state and lack of confidence is why we are performing the way we are.  Our players play with a fear of not winning vs. a joy of playing to dominate.  Just like anything, confidence has a major effect on performance, focus, dealing with pressure, etc. And a Coach always looks smarter when guys are shooting better...

3) For those suggesting Miles makes 2.5 mil a year and should also be a sports psychologist and shouldn’t need to bring in outside help, Dr. Tom did it, and he cites that as the biggest single factor that allowed the football team to go on the dominant run in the 90’s.  Oh yeah, Dr. Tom is a educational Psychologist, so he obviously recognizes the value in having that resource. 

4) What struck me is yes, Coach Miles didn’t specifically ask for the internal resources after Riggins was gone, but why didn’t Marc Boehm or anyone else offer it or even suggest it?  I would think Miles and Marc meet or talk at least a time or two per week, why wouldn’t this get brought up as an available resource?? This “everyone stay in your lane” and “I’ll only help if I’m asked” way of thinking is NOT a championship culture.

5) One more and then I’ll stop typing and read: I’m disappointed that a guy like Jack Stark can’t have lunch down there without feeling welcome.   

As for #2....we have been a bad to mediocre offensive team under Miles every year. Are you saying he is just a jack riggings away from developing a good offense?  If so, why did it take him so long to realize this? I don’t see it....he didn’t recruit recruit enough shooters and couldn’t find a big man to save his life, or job.  That doesn’t even begin to mention guys like Roby and Watson who will never truly reach their true potential. 

Has all of Miles teams been mentally weak and fragile?  If Miles/players saw the benefit then Moos should have kept him on.  But it wasn’t going to change the fact that Miles is better with the mic than he is with a clipboard. 

The Huskers' downfall began when Miles couldn't get a consultant to fix his team's psyche? I can't believe that this is even a thing.

There are seven years of evidence one way or the other of Miles' ability. I'm absolutely fine if you think things are going to be better by keeping him, and I'll support him if he stays. But I really resent the idea that he's somehow a victim in this season's collapse. 

After reading the article, my takeaways.  Moos is going to fire Miles.  This article was the nail in the coffin. I thought there was a chance he might keep Miles around.  

I have no idea why they couldn't keep Riggins, if the team was showing progress.  It does sound like Riggins left in November.  So, you really can't blame losing him as a reason for the collapse (more to do with Copeland's injury).  Especially, if you allow Frost and Cook to bring in outside consultants at a cost.

What do the sport's psychologists do if the coaches have to come to them? Why doesn't Moos assign them to teams? One gets football, golf, baseball, etc.  Another gets basketball, wrestling, track, etc.

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

After reading the article, my takeaways.  Moos is going to fire Miles.  This article was the nail in the coffin. I thought there was a chance he might keep Miles around.  

I have no idea why they couldn't keep Riggins, if the team was showing progress.  It does sound like Riggins left in November.  So, you really can't blame losing him as a reason for the collapse (more to do with Copeland's injury).  Especially, if you allow Frost and Cook to bring in outside consultants at a cost.

What do the sport's psychologists do if the coaches have to come to them? Why doesn't Moos assign them to teams? One gets football, golf, baseball, etc.  Another gets basketball, wrestling, track, etc.

Come on.   There was zero chance Moos was not firing Miles.   This article won't have a damn thing to do with it.    The criteria was established, not met, and we move on.   I've never seen such a bunch of overthinking in my life as this board.  

No one is claiming not keeping Riggins is the cause of Miles not making it.   The only issue is that the Department has been doing some strange, inconsistent, and selective shit for a few years.   It further shines light on Eichorst's banishment of anyone who ever said so much as hello to Bo Pelini.    This University is still not completely functional and working in sync at the highest levels.  Hopefully that can get improved in the future. 

4 hours ago, Raidsker said:

Heady wrote this back in October.

I can't  read today's article.

This dude is a consultant. I would highly doubt he was a free consultant. This it says he was hired.

https://www.starherald.com/sports/big_red_wrap/mens_basketball/we-re-still-building-that-culture-ex-navy-seal-helps/article_7e999771-0e29-525f-9615-9b8e7fd9626c.html

Lots of warning flags in that particular article.... yikes.

38 minutes ago, HB said:

This University is still not completely functional and working in sync at the highest levels.  Hopefully that can get improved in the future. 

Our son Seth bought us Bohemian Rhapsody and we watched it last Sunday.  Great movie!

This song seems rather appropriate.

36 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

some solid observations about what happens, but the why is still going to be speculative. I think the mistrust is valid, but not in the pernicious sense, because a lot of the players don't trust their own shots, either. James is always pulling or pushing his layups instead of trusting his muscle memory. Watson doesn't trust in the sun to rise from the east at this point. Paranoia is a bad trait for a point guard. I noticed they were much more conscious of the open roll man in the Michigan game, and probably the only reason we broke fifty in that horrid affair. But our opponents know they just don't have to guard people seriously right now and can gang up on anyone that might get hot on them. It's an enormous advantage to have over a team when you know that their heads are their toughest defenders. 

22 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This isn't a reason to keep Miles, by any means. But like @hhcmatt has preached many times, moving forward we need to make sure the basketball coach has whatever he needs to win. I'm not looking at it as a excuse for Coach Miles (It definitley didn't help his cause, but I think his bed is made), but it does raise questions about our commitment for basketball - and if (when) we hire a new coach, he better have any resource he needs, at his disposal. 

I'm beating this drum because I don't want to be here 5-7 years from now talking about whether or not we need to fire the mid-major/assistant coach we hire and whether what will probably be a new AD (Moos is up in years, they come and go) will be itching to make their name as the man who saves Nebraska basketball by hiring another mid-major coach. 

Part of the reason we need to get a well established coach is so they can weather an athletic department that seems either uninterested and/or incapable of making this a football/basketball school.  

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Part of the reason we need to get a well established coach is so they can weather an athletic department that seems either uninterested and/or incapable of making this a football/basketball school.  

Speaking of weather, mother nature is also lamenting the fact Nebraska basketball tanked in 2019.  Since the road loss to Maryland January 2nd, Lincoln has received 33 inches of snow.  Normal is 11.  She's crying, but it's so fricking cold the tears are turning into snowflakes. (And I don't mean today's youth...)

16 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I will need to relisten to the half court podcast but it sounded like Nebraska was the only power 5 school with such a restrictive policy

Jack Stark said that he works with about 40 other schools right now and he doesn't know of anyone who has a policy like Nebraska does. Apparently called it "tragic" 

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

I'm beating this drum because I don't want to be here 5-7 years from now talking about whether or not we need to fire the mid-major/assistant coach we hire and whether what will probably be a new AD (Moos is up in years, they come and go) will be itching to make their name as the man who saves Nebraska basketball by hiring another mid-major coach. 

Part of the reason we need to get a well established coach is so they can weather an athletic department that seems either uninterested and/or incapable of making this a football/basketball/baseball school.  

I agree with you. Enough half assing it. I think we finally took winning in football seriously. Wish they would do the same with basketball and baseball.