Chris Heady (OWH) Nebrasketball Story Coming This Weekend

1 hour ago, Rawesome79 said:

Like how Lee wrote this for him, trying to still blame the administration because poor Tim cannot motivate his players?

Once again, it's not an all or nothing thing.    It shouldn't be about blame or excuses.  Even if one thinks Miles is a terrible coach and has to go, that doesn't mean we can't run a better athletic department.    Even if the coach sucks and needs to go, it shouldn't mean the  Department gets a free pass.    The rawness of the Rawesome shines through--can't see beyond your Miles hatred to rationally look at the issues with the Department. 

There has been a lot going on down there for years that affects way more and goes way beyond Miles.    It's OK to multi-task. 

Edited by HB

57 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I'm not disputing that. I said if I change those two results but leave everything else the same on the bracket generator, which uses Sagarin ratings to predict outcomes and predicts us to beat Iowa. That's him, not me.

I think 8-12 gets a lot more palatable if it also comes with legitimate bubble talk -- something that Minnesota and, bizarrely, Indiana are still enjoying even with conference records that would be comparable to ours. Maybe you're still disappointed, and maybe a lot of people would be, and maybe Miles still gets fired, but we're in contention at least and I do think that's a pretty significant narrative shift.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The narrative would not shift with the administration considering the talk was all about consistency. Going 8-12 and having another dismal record against quality opponents does not scream consistent. 

Had he finished 11-9...then it’s probbaly a much different story and this article never gets printed.  I just have a hard time believing a senior laden team is so fragile. I think they have crumbled but I think our main issues belong with Miles and the Big Ten figuring guys like Palmer out

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...oh sorry, I dozed off.  Here is the deal, I have now read all the doom, gloom, hopelessness, truism, guesses, more guesses and the same guesses and sighhhh, it is getting old.  Sorry, it is.  We know the outcome, but the knife keeps turning and the horse is beaten to death.  I hope I can soon tune in and see a return of Husker optimism.  

Dead Horse GIF - Dead Horse No GIFs

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The narrative would not shift with the administration considering the talk was all about consistency. Going 8-12 and having another dismal record against quality opponents does not scream consistent. 

Had he finished 11-9...then it’s probbaly a much different story and this article never gets printed.  I just have a hard time believing a senior laden team is so fragile. I think they have crumbled but I think our main issues belong with Miles and the Big Ten figuring guys like Palmer out

Holy crap, really? If we're still talking bubbles and a shot at the dance, there's no question the narrative shifts. Have you not been paying attention to what you and virtually everyone else has been saying the last two months around here? FFS.

21 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

What difference does that make, my god.

say you owned a business where you hired a bunch of employees to deal with your customers.

your employees bring a random navy seal into the workplace to deal with the customers instead of the employees you hired.

that wouldn't bother you?

I liked the article. I thought it was well-researched and tried to present both sides. 

There is plenty of blame to go around on all sides - administration (past and present), fans, coaches AND players. To try to pin this on one person or group to the exclusion of all else doesn't make much sense to me.

I certainly don't know the inner workings of the athletic department, but from the outside, it does appear there has been a lack of support. But that doesn't let Coach Miles off the hook for the multiple years of recruiting, player development and X/O failures. It also doesn't explain how a senior-laden team can completely fall apart with no leadership and no improvement. Doesn't anyone on this team have any pride whatsoever?

The culture is broken and has been for longer than many of us would like to admit - it appears to me that last year's record served as a bandaid that covered up many of the problems already in place. We all believed the players on this team were better than this. I've said it before and I don't see how it can be argued - the players on this team are not as good as we thought. It's way past time to move on from this staff and start to build from the ground up.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Holy crap, really? If we're still talking bubbles and a shot at the dance, there's no question the narrative shifts. Have you not been paying attention to what you and virtually everyone else has been saying the last two months around here? FFS.

The narrative doesn’t shift if we go 8-12. The fanbase would still be dissapointed and Miles job status would continue to be a question mark as in her scenario we would still be on the outside looking in imo 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

No, the standard was always "make the dance." It wasn't even "win a game" though that was the hoped-for conclusion. But being in bubble contention would not only have made a difference to the narrative for the fans, it would have also provided an extra spring in the steps of the players on the team.

3 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I don't think it's a hit piece, from the way he talked on 590 this afternoon.

Yes, I was afraid of a 'hit piece' before I had a chance to listen to Mr. Heady. He seems to have tried to hear all sides. And that's all we as fans can hope for from the situation, however crappy it has become with Nebrasketball & dep't. "policy" dredges NU into new depths, it appears. That's the tragedy of liability dictating outcomes of policy-legislation.

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

No, the standard was always "make the dance." It wasn't even "win a game" though that was the hoped-for conclusion. But being in bubble contention would not only have made a difference to the narrative for the fans, it would have also provided an extra spring in the steps of the players on the team.

I tend to agree. This season flipped--in a small sense--the night Nebraska collapsed at Minnesota. The back-of-the-mind feeling of that night has crept to the fore-front ever since, it seems. But that's a layman's opinion, viewed from afar.

44 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

say you owned a business where you hired a bunch of employees to deal with your customers.

your employees bring a random navy seal into the workplace to deal with the customers instead of the employees you hired.

Am I paying the Seal?  Are my customers happy?  Is my business profiting?  Those are all important questions to ask.

If my business is making a profit, what’s he difference whether it’s my employees or the Seal doing it?

1 hour ago, TimSmiles said:

So it's okay for Cook and Frost to hire outside but not Miles. 

Edited by Bugeaters1

Just finished reading the article which left the following impressions. To be clear, I am just reacting to the article. I have NO insight beyond what I've read and what I've read may not be a good reflection of reality. That said:

- This news story strikes me as a poor bit of reporting. It relies heavily on just a few sources with axes to grind. Since the policy of using outside sources was a key element, shouldn't the writer have addressed whether other school have similar policies? Or he could have explored more thoroughly how the staff psychologists have or have not proved helpful. There was plenty of info on how the outside resources have been useful but almost nothing about what the staff people were doing. The article left the impression the only ones who COULD help without asking what the staff was doing. If the writer wasn't willing do work in those two areas, I am left wondering what else was left undone or unmentioned.

- Like it or not, Moos is the A.D. If he has a policy to use staff personnel and that policy is understood by the coaches, then the coaches need to follow it. Speaking as an employer working in the psychology field and who has had to develop just such policies, I can readily understand why Moos would want to use in house staff or require approval from his office to use an outside resource. Not having policies in place is a good way to get your business in a lot of trouble. And not following policies is a real good way to get terminated. Neither of those things make someone a bad boss. My caveat: the article states Moos thought Riggins was supposed to be in place for 5 weeks and that Miles seemed to think it covered the whole season. This is stunning to me! In our office we send out memos and require responses ALL THE TIME! There ought to be a paper trail somewhere that could bring clarity to this.

- Finally, the most striking thing in the article to me was that Miles hasn't asked for help from the very people whose job it is to provide it. Presumably, the staff people have good skills. Use them. And if the policy is they don't get involved unless asked, then ASK! I cannot imagine a good reason not to.

Take these FWIW.

6 minutes ago, KZRider said:

Since the policy of using outside sources was a key element, shouldn't the writer have addressed whether other school have similar policies?

I will need to relisten to the half court podcast but it sounded like Nebraska was the only power 5 school with such a restrictive policy

7 hours ago, HoiBall said:

I don't disagree.

However, I don't think its wise to group Tim and John Cook in the same paragraph when talking about Riggins outside help. Call me crazy, but I would be very surprised if the volleyball team would go in the absolute tank if Riggins got pulled from them midseason.

There's a pretty obvious difference between Cook and Miles. One has done it before. The other hasn't gotten close.

May want to read the article if you don’t think Coach Cook wasn’t concerned about the mental state of his team.  He referred to today’s generation as being soft and unable to work through adversity. He wanted Riggins to travel to another country with the team, which the University denied, due to security clearance reasons....for a former Navy Seal.

3 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

did the seal have any affiliation with the university?

if not, i could see why the administration wouldn't want someone with no affiliation working with student athletes on a regular basis.

Jack Stark didn’t really have any affiliation with the university either- but Tom saw the value, and Tom was a psychologist himself and still saw the need to bring in someone else...

Okay folks. Friendly Faux Mike Peltz here- with a few thoughts, after reading every post in this thread so far. In summary, I think this is why Jack Mitchell went on his mini rant during the post game show.  There is a difference between having resources and facilities, and 100% unequivocal support.  And there is no doubt in my mind that Coach Miles didn’t always get that from Eichorst and Moos, and that needs to change, like now. So here goes: 

1) Read the article.  Don’t come to a conclusion based on a cliff notes version.  The article is insightful and gives plenty of specific details regarding the use of outside consultants, and what other Husker coaches are doing as well.

2) For those asking if the seal would make the team better at X’s and O’s, or a better shooter, my honest belief is yes.  Why?  Because our mental state and lack of confidence is why we are performing the way we are.  Our players play with a fear of not winning vs. a joy of playing to dominate.  Just like anything, confidence has a major effect on performance, focus, dealing with pressure, etc. And a Coach always looks smarter when guys are shooting better...

3) For those suggesting Miles makes 2.5 mil a year and should also be a sports psychologist and shouldn’t need to bring in outside help, Dr. Tom did it, and he cites that as the biggest single factor that allowed the football team to go on the dominant run in the 90’s.  Oh yeah, Dr. Tom is a educational Psychologist, so he obviously recognizes the value in having that resource. 

4) What struck me is yes, Coach Miles didn’t specifically ask for the internal resources after Riggins was gone, but why didn’t Marc Boehm or anyone else offer it or even suggest it?  I would think Miles and Marc meet or talk at least a time or two per week, why wouldn’t this get brought up as an available resource?? This “everyone stay in your lane” and “I’ll only help if I’m asked” way of thinking is NOT a championship culture.

5) One more and then I’ll stop typing and read: I’m disappointed that a guy like Jack Stark can’t have lunch down there without feeling welcome.