Chris Heady (OWH) Nebrasketball Story Coming This Weekend

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

how much does a navy seal charge to give a couple motivational speeches every week? i feel like miles could have covered it with his 2.5 mil if it was that important to the success of the team. it's a lame excuse that one of the coaches probably fed to the OWH.

He didn't charge anything to work with NU programs.

Edited by uneblinstu

1 minute ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't really care about whether Miles is or isn't the guy in this discussion. I feel like we were robbed of what could have been something pretty special. It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication as to what internal resources were available, or maybe just some stubbornness, but either way, something went array around the holidays and the plan that was working wasn't allowed to be continues. And that frustrates me to no end.

Yep. Miles failed this season. But if I'm an AD, I would want to make sure the coach I fire, failed given every chance to succeed. 

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

I just hope there aren't any of those faux "bombshells" which oft-times seem to pass as real news items now. And a tad skeptical when it is hyped by the guy who wrote it. 

Like how Lee wrote this for him, trying to still blame the administration because poor Tim cannot motivate his players?

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Yep. Miles failed this season. But if I'm an AD, I would want to make sure the coach I fire, failed given every chance to succeed. 

I think this sums up everyone’s feelings in one way or another.  I think we all wish that the administration would have put in as much as us fans did.

Just now, TimSmiles said:

then why does it say he was fired? can't get fired if you aren't getting paid.

It never said he was fired. It said Moos didn't want him to use someone who wasn't an NU employee, so he was told he couldn't use him. It also says this is not common among high major programs. Most athletic departments allow use of consultants like Riggins.

Just now, uneblinstu said:

It never said he was fired. It said Moos didn't want him to use someone who wasn't an NU employee, so he was told he couldn't use him. It also says this is not common among high major programs. Most athletic departments allow use of consultants like Riggins.

"Tim Miles brought in an ex-Navy SEAL to help with his team’s mentality problems. 3 months later NU administrators forced Miles to fire him."

It doesn't take much of an arm chair psychologist to sense some passive-aggressive animosity between AD and coaching staff. I'm sure players are sensitive enough to pick up on this and use this to scapegoat someone for failures. doubt the seal would have made a whole lot of difference unless he was teaching players to land on two feet after dunking though. 

1 minute ago, TimSmiles said:

yes. this article is a joke. a volunteer navy seal is not why we suck this year.

I don't think thats the argument. Not for me at least. I don't think Miles is the guy to get us to where we need to be, but I think the next guy deserves every resource he wants at his disposal (I think everyone can agree on that). And its a shame that Tim didn't. It doesn't excuse how terrible this season has gone, but it definitely sucks that the Administration took something away that the basketball coach thought was helpful. 

6 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I'm forgetting how to embed tweets, but Heady's got an addendum up that the article is a result of his own curiosity, not leaked by a coach or anything, along with a link to the podcast where he and Jon Nyatawa talk more about the article. I'm listening to it now.

29 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

I keep coming back to this: in a season like this one, maybe he doesn't change EVERYTHING -- but for giggles, I left everything alone in the bracket generator except flipping the results of the Rutgers and Penn State games. Or Rutgers and Ohio State. Or Rutgers and Illinois. Any of those combos jumps us from 13th to 9th, and if everything else holds steady, we're playing Minnesota and then Michigan State in Chicago with a trip to the NCAA on the line potentially by winning even just ONE game there. Could Jack Riggins have reasonably helped our mentality in two games? I think so, and that changes the trajectory and narrative of this whole season.

Is Miles The Guy? I don't know, maybe not. But it's absolute crap for the AD to make abstract rules that are occasionally enforced, even to the detriment of the student-athletes you claim to be serving. As student-athletes, those players were robbed of a service they had started to receive that was doing them some good -- not just on the court, but life lessons. And as fans, I feel like we got robbed too.

Two games doesn’t change the narrative. In your what if scenario you also have us beating Iowa. Lose that game and we finish 11th in the Big Ten with a 7-13 record. Even with a win we finish 8-12 and people would still be disappointed. 

8-12 on the wrong side of the bubble and people would still be talking about firing Miles heading into chicago. 

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Two games doesn’t change the narrative. In your what if scenario you also have us beating Iowa. Lose that game and we finish 11th in the Big Ten with a 7-13 record. Even with a win we finish 8-12 and people would still be disappointed. 

8-12 on the wrong side of the bubble and people would still be talking about firing Miles heading into chicago. 

I'm not disputing that. I said if I change those two results but leave everything else the same on the bracket generator, which uses Sagarin ratings to predict outcomes and predicts us to beat Iowa. That's him, not me.

I think 8-12 gets a lot more palatable if it also comes with legitimate bubble talk -- something that Minnesota and, bizarrely, Indiana are still enjoying even with conference records that would be comparable to ours. Maybe you're still disappointed, and maybe a lot of people would be, and maybe Miles still gets fired, but we're in contention at least and I do think that's a pretty significant narrative shift.

skulduggery afoot! or ahand. I forget which limb. 

While I dislike motivational hustles--especially from my former colleagues in arms--I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to the suits. 

Some vet who wants to tell war stories can't be all that culturally threatening, certainly not in a place like Nebraska. I can only think there might have been lawyers involved or something. The paranoid worms of liability crawling into the ears of a suit in some way. Or maybe some arcane personnel rules someone puked into a piece of legislature some years ago. 

One thing I trust is that you fine folks will be all over this one and I can read all about it when it actually happens! We still have a couple of weeks before the really big news hits.