Chris Heady (OWH) Nebrasketball Story Coming This Weekend

12 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Can we get some cliff notes?

Basically Miles had a former Navy SEAL consult with the team for a few weeks, then Moos decided to take him away around November of last year. Heady also mentioned Jack Stark and how Stark said we might be the only university that makes the AD decide if a coach can bring in outside help or not. He also mentioned how the players loved the SEAL and thought he was really helpful. Overall, just a really interesting article.

10 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

I think it's the coaches job to do what he needs to do. If that means there's a gap in his skills or abilities and to go find someone else that can help with that, then so be it. That's actually good leadership to be able to recognize weaknesses and deficiencies and take steps to strengthen them.

Like I said in another thread, I hope there is a good reason for this. I pointed to Riggins presence on social media and his history of calling out coaches and administrators on twitter as the possible culprit. I haven't read the article, as I have to wait for the hard copy to come out - but curious to what our Athletic Department cited for the reason. They have to know it's a bad look if they don't have a good reason, for the reasons you mentioned. 

Aaaaaaand there it is. Insane policy for absolutely no reason, especially when exceptions are allowed for football to do the exact same thing.

I actually started to type up a cliff's notes version, but decided against it because it cheapens the work that went into putting this together -- and Heady did his homework for sure. Even if you only get the sports digital access version, it's like 99 cents for the first month, and very much worth it.

6 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Is this Navy Seal guy also an expert in X's and O's...more specifically, on the offensive side of the ball? How about his ability to develop his recruits shooting ability?

As much as some harp on x's and o's, our bigger issue is putting the ball in the whole when we have a chance (a lot of their issue I believe is between the ears). How many shots within 5-10 feet do we miss, how many times do we hesitate when we're open? Someone like him might've put our guys in the right frame of mind, especially around the time the tread started coming off the tires.

3 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Aaaaaaand there it is. Insane policy for absolutely no reason, especially when exceptions are allowed for football to do the exact same thing.

I actually started to type up a cliff's notes version, but decided against it because it cheapens the work that went into putting this together -- and Heady did his homework for sure. Even if you only get the sports digital access version, it's like 99 cents for the first month, and very much worth it.

I know you and I have discussed this probably more than anyone on this board. Did they get a quote from Moos or the department on why they still have the policy in place? I get the Sunday paper, but don't really want to wait to discuss!

1 minute ago, jason2486 said:

As much as some harp on x's and o's, our bigger issue is putting the ball in the whole when we have a chance (a lot of their issue I believe is between the ears). How many shots within 5-10 feet do we miss, how many times do we hesitate when we're open? Someone like him might've put our guys in the right frame of mind, especially around the time the tread started coming off the tires.

Yep, pretty much. Basketball can be a rather simple game when your team is getting buckets.

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I know you and I have discussed this probably more than anyone on this board. Did they get a quote from Moos or the department on why they still have the policy in place? I get the Sunday paper, but don't really want to wait to discuss!

They did. Basically: Moos wants coaches to use internal resources because he doesn't want "just anyone" around the department. However, he grants exceptions, including to Football last year to work with an ex-Marine. In this case, he initially approved it, but says it was only on a five-week basis (where Riggins and Miles were both under the impression it was for the whole year) and despite the players themselves attesting to the benefits they were seeing from it, he still insisted they shut it down.

8 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Perhaps, but is this Navy Seal's work enough to turn Miles into a good coach? Probably not.

History under Miles suggest it certainly wasn't just THIS team that has trouble shooting the ball.  Nor do I think our terrible spacing, and lack of fundamentals is all mental.  I didn't read the article, so I shouldn't say this guy wouldn't have helped.  If he was any help at all then Moos should have kept him on. But, I'm very certain he wasn't the difference between Miles being the guy and not being the guy.

At the end of the day, we will have our answer fairly soon as to if the athletic department cares about having a winning program.  Keeping Miles or low balling a coach will speak volumes on if we are just okay with continuing to tread water. 

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Also, it really irks me that there are some so blind with hatred of Tim Miles that they’ll dog him for his deficiencies (bad motivation) and then dog him for trying to better them (hiring a Navy Seal) to help.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t part of anything in life trying to find ways to correct your deficiencies to make things better?

On the other hand, some people will go to any lengths to not blame Tim for the product on the floor. 

5 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

They did. Basically: Moos wants coaches to use internal resources because he doesn't want "just anyone" around the department. However, he grants exceptions, including to Football last year to work with an ex-Marine. In this case, he initially approved it, but says it was only on a five-week basis (where Riggins and Miles were both under the impression it was for the whole year) and despite the players themselves attesting to the benefits they were seeing from it, he still insisted they shut it down.

Well you we're right on this one. Poor communication. Thought they would have a better reason for nixing that relationship. 

6 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Also, it really irks me that there are some so blind with hatred of Tim Miles that they’ll dog him for his deficiencies (bad motivation) and then dog him for trying to better them (hiring a Navy Seal) to help.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn’t part of anything in life trying to find ways to correct your deficiencies to make things better?

Who is doing that in this thread?

If it were to put it all back on Miles one should probably ask why it took him 7 years at Nebraska to realize he is a bad motivator?  BTW, I don't think he is a bad motivator or that's the main issue. 

Just now, huskerbaseball13 said:

Who is doing that in this thread?

If it were to put it all back on Miles one should probably ask why it took him 7 years at Nebraska to realize he is a bad motivator?  BTW, I don't think he is a bad motivator or that's the main issue. 

No one in this thread that I’ve seen.  I wasn’t even referring to this thread and didn’t even say anyone on this board.  Social media is another thing though...

8 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I don't disagree.

However, I don't think its wise to group Tim and John Cook in the same paragraph when talking about Riggins outside help. Call me crazy, but I would be very surprised if the volleyball team would go in the absolute tank if Riggins got pulled from them midseason.

There's a pretty obvious difference between Cook and Miles. One has done it before. The other hasn't gotten close.

This isn't a reason to keep Miles, by any means. But like @hhcmatt has preached many times, moving forward we need to make sure the basketball coach has whatever he needs to win. I'm not looking at it as a excuse for Coach Miles (It definitley didn't help his cause, but I think his bed is made), but it does raise questions about our commitment for basketball - and if (when) we hire a new coach, he better have any resource he needs, at his disposal. 

8 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Perhaps, but is this Navy Seal's work enough to turn Miles into a good coach? Probably not.

History under Miles suggest it certainly wasn't just THIS team that has trouble shooting the ball.  Nor do I think our terrible spacing, and lack of fundamentals is all mental.  I didn't read the article, so I shouldn't say this guy wouldn't have helped.  If he was any help at all then Moos should have kept him on. But, I'm very certain he wasn't the difference between Miles being the guy and not being the guy.

At the end of the day, we will have our answer fairly soon as to if the athletic department cares about having a winning program.  Keeping Miles or low balling a coach will speak volumes on if we are just okay with continuing to tread water. 

I mean, they were off to one of the best starts in school history. Obliterating teams. Doing exactly what you'd expect a team like we thought we had to do. According to everyone on the team, the question isn't "would he have helped", he was helping!

I'm guessing there's more to the story of the season than just Jack Riggins, because the team we see now doesn't resemble the team we saw in November and December. Having a guy like Riggins available to help stem whatever mental tides were shifting might have drastically altered the course of the season. I don't really care about whether Miles is or isn't the guy in this discussion. I feel like we were robbed of what could have been something pretty special. It sounds like there may have been some miscommunication as to what internal resources were available, or maybe just some stubbornness, but either way, something went array around the holidays and the plan that was working wasn't allowed to be continues. And that frustrates me to no end.

3 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

I don't disagree.

However, I don't think its wise to group Tim and John Cook in the same paragraph when talking about Riggins outside help. Call me crazy, but I would be very surprised if the volleyball team would go in the absolute tank if Riggins got pulled from them midseason.

There's a pretty obvious difference between Cook and Miles. One has done it before. The other hasn't gotten close.

I don’t disagree with that.  The problem is that we will never truly know because one got the opportunity to do it and one did not.

3 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

I don't disagree.

This feels like a double standard to me. No one's claiming Miles is as good a coach as Cook. But if Cook advocates for the guy and found him beneficial in, ya know, winning a championship and the same guy is involved and the basketball gets off to one of the best starts in school history, why isn't that allowed to continue. Moos referenced to now allowing "just anybody" around the program. I don't disagree, but I'd argue that Riggins isn't that. Heck, Jack Stark got that treatment as well, and that makes even less sense.