What if...

Silverbacked1

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Are the M&Ms overly vocal on twitter questioning the ADs ability to do their job? It's just not as cut and dry as that, I don't think. I mean it could be, and I would be wrong, but we're still only hearing one side of it. 

This. I'm assuming Teddy Owens feelings were just his own and never expressed by his ex-boss. Again, this goes to the culture of blaming everyone else for your problems instead of overcoming obstacles and still succeeding. Miles has no one to blame but himself for the inconsistency in his program.

And at the end of the day Moos will hold him accountable for those inconsistencies. It's a cruel job but like Miles said at least he'll still be a millionaire. I think he will be just fine.

Since we're talking hypotheticals, let's say Jack isn't the difference between a sinking ship and Top 25...but what's the cutoff to make him worthwhile, if the coach deems it so (and it literally isn't costing the department a single penny)? What if he's the difference in winning even just two games? At this point, with the bubble looking the way it does, two games is a big difference. Two games is the difference between where we are now and being tied with Minnesota for 8th in the conference. Say we steal one in Michigan (either tonight or at Michigan State) -- suddenly we're in the top half of the conference and are basically a lock for the tournament (and even if we didn't get one on the road, we're still probably talking about Dayton at a bare minimum). Are we Top 25 material? No, probably not, but we're looking at a much different picture overall.

I get that we're hearing Jack's side but not Moos's. But on the other hand, I sincerely doubt it would have been an issue had football wanted the same resources. And if this was the only thing that ever stood out as being the department standing in the basketball program's way I'd probably give it the benefit of the doubt...but as we've seen over the years, NU has trouble getting out of its own way when it comes to basketball, so it's lost a little of its cache with me and I tend to want to ask more "why" questions now than I probably would otherwise.

20 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Since we're talking hypotheticals, let's say Jack isn't the difference between a sinking ship and Top 25...but what's the cutoff to make him worthwhile, if the coach deems it so (and it literally isn't costing the department a single penny)? What if he's the difference in winning even just two games? At this point, with the bubble looking the way it does, two games is a big difference. Two games is the difference between where we are now and being tied with Minnesota for 8th in the conference. Say we steal one in Michigan (either tonight or at Michigan State) -- suddenly we're in the top half of the conference and are basically a lock for the tournament (and even if we didn't get one on the road, we're still probably talking about Dayton at a bare minimum). Are we Top 25 material? No, probably not, but we're looking at a much different picture overall.

I get that we're hearing Jack's side but not Moos's. But on the other hand, I sincerely doubt it would have been an issue had football wanted the same resources. And if this was the only thing that ever stood out as being the department standing in the basketball program's way I'd probably give it the benefit of the doubt...but as we've seen over the years, NU has trouble getting out of its own way when it comes to basketball, so it's lost a little of its cache with me and I tend to want to ask more "why" questions now than I probably would otherwise.

Honestly what it could come down to is his social media presence. I have seen Jack post very critically on social media about the last AD, the current AD and the athletic department in gereral. Let this be a lesson to all the kids out there - You're potential employer is going to check social media, don't put anything on there that they wouldn't want to see.

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Honestly what it could come down to is his social media presence. I have seen Jack post very critically on social media about the last AD, the current AD and the athletic department in gereral. Let this be a lesson to all the kids out there - You're potential employer is going to check social media, don't put anything on there that they wouldn't want to see.

However -- as has been discussed here -- his social media criticism came AFTER he was axed, not before. 

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

This. I'm assuming Teddy Owens feelings were just his own and never expressed by his ex-boss. Again, this goes to the culture of blaming everyone else for your problems instead of overcoming obstacles and still succeeding. Miles has no one to blame but himself for the inconsistency in his program.

And at the end of the day Moos will hold him accountable for those inconsistencies. It's a cruel job but like Miles said at least he'll still be a millionaire. I think he will be just fine.

You'll need to find a new whipping boy, or you might not be so fine.    I'm sure you've always been 100% accountable and never made an excuse for anything.  

6 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

However -- as has been discussed here -- his social media criticism came AFTER he was axed, not before. 

I can find tweets of him back in 2017 calling Eichorst "pathological egotist", and being very critical of Coach Riley as well. This was before he worked with the team in 2018. Again, I think he could be beneficial to the team - but you can't be publically critical of multiple AD employees and not expect that to backfire. 

23 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I can find tweets of him back in 2017 calling Eichorst "pathological egotist", and being very critical of Coach Riley as well. This was before he worked with the team in 2018. Again, I think he could be beneficial to the team - but you can't be publically critical of multiple AD employees and not expect that to backfire. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding this had nothing to do with past tweets, present tweets or future tweets critical of anyone or anything connected with the Nebraska Athletic Department or otherwise.

1 hour ago, HoiBall said:

You are beating a dead horse.  My goodness.  Give it a rest.  We get it, you 100% don't like Miles, you 100% think we'll be playing HoiBall in 9 months, and you 100% don't think that any outside factor has had an effect on this program.  Did I get it all?

Just now, tcp said:

if you have to hire a "consultant" to hustle motivation, you have bigger problems than who is or isn't allowed to talk to your team. 

Tell that to John Cook.  If you hire a "consultant" to help motivate a team because you think it will help, and if it does, you look like a smart coach who knows your deficiencies, found a way to overcome those deficiencies, and used it.  We'll probably never get that opportunity though.

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding this had nothing to do with past tweets, present tweets or future tweets critical of anyone or anything connected with the Nebraska Athletic Department or otherwise.

It would be nice to know. I'm just speculating why he wouldn't be brought back. I would like to believe our AD isn't just withholding stuff from Miles because he doesn't like him or something. The social media thing seemed like the most obvious conclusion. 

14 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

It would be nice to know. I'm just speculating why he wouldn't be brought back. I would like to believe our AD isn't just withholding stuff from Miles because he doesn't like him or something. The social media thing seemed like the most obvious conclusion. 

Less obvious but perhaps accurate--Pat Logsden likes power.

26 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I'd agree with you, but it didn't seem to stop him from working with Volleyball for a few months. Factor in that other AD employees (particularly in football) also said some pretty rough things about Mike Riley, in much more public settings, and I have an awfully hard time believing it boils down to some tweets in 2017. Hoping someone with some insight says something sooner or later so we can quit speculating (she says speculatively).

1 hour ago, HB said:

Less obvious but perhaps accurate--Pat Logsden likes power.

I had wondered which one "within" who appears a bit power hungry ... I figured it could have been another person who's been around for quite some time.  That is an interesting observation, HB.

Edited by AuroranHusker

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Tell that to John Cook.  If you hire a "consultant" to help motivate a team because you think it will help, and if it does, you look like a smart coach who knows your deficiencies, found a way to overcome those deficiencies, and used it.  We'll probably never get that opportunity though.

I would be happy to. You have his number?