College Basketball --- laying down the law (maybe)

AuroranHusker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

And a slap on the wrist!!

most likely, but there's been buzz on www.phog.net all day today about this...lots of rumors flying, and among those is speculation that Bill Self actually threatened to resign within the past day or so but has since been talked out of it (at least for now).  I'd keep an eye out for this potentially becoming a reality depending on what the NCAA alleges.

Also from the end of the KC Star article was this little nugget:

Third parties and/or boosters are not allowed to provide anything with monetary value to a recruit or the recruit’s family or guardian. It is possible the NCAA deems it inappropriate for Townsend to ask Gassnola to send gear to Angola.

ESPN recently reported that NCAA investigators were also working on cases at Arizona, Auburn, Creighton, Louisville, LSU and USC.

2 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

So what does all this really mean?  Will the NCAA really kill it's geese that lay the golden eggs?

I look at it as a judgement on cheating.  One of two things will (hopefully) happen with these investigations.

1).  The NCAA is actually able to drop the hammer on the programs they will be investigating, and the threat of actual meaningful penalties will finally serve to clean up the sport and we are able to play on a level field finally, or...

2).  The NCAA is one again unsuccessful pursuing any meaningful penalties against these programs who are obviously blatantly cheating and aren't even that concerned with not being sloppy about it at which point the rest of us say F it.  At that point college sports becomes the wild west and programs then simply openly bid outright for the best players.  This then puts Nebraska at an advantage for once because of their top-20 standing in AD revenue and top-10 (5?) as a profitable department.

Personally I like #1 better because I would rather enjoy watching colleges compete on a level playing field across the board but I gotta admit #2 has a certain appeal too.  😁

Edited by 49r

In my own unofficial poll of KU alums (including a few not named Jimmy who are large donors) there is a consensus that any major sanctions by the NCAA which would exceed the wrist slaps given to North Carolina and Kentucky in the past will inevitably spark a federal lawsuit by Self and KU against the NCAA. Money has already been pledged for this purpose which has the potential of destroying the archaic NCAA bureaucratic structure and its arbitrarily enforced rules. Don't know if this will ever come to pass-just passing along my feedback.

15 hours ago, jimmykc said:

In my own unofficial poll of KU alums (including a few not named Jimmy who are large donors) there is a consensus that any major sanctions by the NCAA which would exceed the wrist slaps given to North Carolina and Kentucky in the past will inevitably spark a federal lawsuit by Self and KU against the NCAA. Money has already been pledged for this purpose which has the potential of destroying the archaic NCAA bureaucratic structure and its arbitrarily enforced rules. Don't know if this will ever come to pass-just passing along my feedback.

The pomposity. Both by NCAA and KU, tbh.

Here is the deal, I would love it if college sports were completely clean, but the reality is that college sports have been "dirty" for as long as I have been alive, and likely longer.  And folks, we don't want to hear it, but we live in a glass house.  So we need to be careful when we start casting stones.  

• 1 month later...

...And joins the long list of convenient scapegoats who are offered up whenever any major investigation is initiated. Whether this sacrifice is accepted or not, the lowest rung on the ladder always seems to bear the brunt of the punishment. We should take no pleasure from this at HCC simply because we are NU fans.