Iowa vs. Nebraska Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Just a few notes

1) the ex-husker landed in the right place.  Twerking before the and taunting the crowd after the three.   They would not be allowed by a husker coach, but coach B. loves the primadonna crap.   That being said I would love in husker red she does play well.

2)  the crap the big ten officiating lets stars get away ie.  Gusty does them a total disservice to them.  The ref was watching allowed 4 clear walks that ended in buckets and at least a half dozen hooking calls.  To her credit you make refs make a call and you do not change til they do.  Q: what happens in the ncaa tourney when they actually call it.  Kate could not close on the mid cause she'd have gotten beat to the bucket.  Ashton was over matched both physically and skill wise.  Did anyone else notice Mershon shut her down reasonably well.  ( very encouraging for the future)

3)  Q2 shot selection sucked which cost us the game.  I know we got blown out in the 4th, but our margin of error is too small to have chop wood against a team that good in the 4th.  They just pressed to hard more experience would help here.

4)  we needed Liegha's shot to fall.  She got good looks her shots just didn't fall.  It happens. Keep on shooting Liegha it'll drop.

Kathleen Doyle is a great player, and she will be an even more important player for Iowa next year after their seniors graduate.  But, oddly, and maybe it is just me, I don't see her as a good fit for our Team (or coaches); maybe we were lucky when she decommitted in favor of attending Iowa.  I like our current team and can't think of anyone on our roster I'd be willing to trader her for.

Getting ahead of myself.  I know there is more season to go, but find myself thinking ahead, possibly because of the way the Iowa game went,

and because of how this season has unfolded.

It will be an interesting off season.  Will the freshmen improve strength and conditioning?  Will they enhance their basketball skills?  Will they be more

able to handle a 'Gustafson" level player?  Will all returning players, our team, be better prepared to handle 2019 Iowa level teams?     

I'm a bit concerned, based on the last off season.  Of the 5 returning starters, one could argue, 3 didn't improve (regressed?), 1 stayed about the same, 

and 1 player blossomed into a candidate for conference defensive player of the year.  Is this coaching staff, including strength and conditioning, a 

pushing, hands on, staff?  Or, are they more of a provider of tools and direction, but leave much of it up to self motivation?  I have no idea.  The past 

off season, would suggest a need for some tinkering to their approach.   

Coaches aren't out of the cross hairs either.  Plenty of areas, they could improve on.  (game preparation, and in game management are a couple that come to mind).

The off season will be interesting. 

Thanks for letting me wander a bit.  OK, back to real time.

Bring on Penn State.  Good Luck ladies.   GBR       

Edited by 12dozen

career stats for megan gustafson (so far):

Career Totals

SEASON SCHOOL PPG REB OFFR DEFR AST STL BLK TOPG FG% 3PT% FT% FGM FGA TPM TPA FTM FTA P-FOULS POINTS GP GS DOUBLE-DOUBLES TRIPLE-DOUBLES

2018-19 Iowa 27.4 13.1 3.0 10.1 1.7 0.4 1.8 1.3 70.4 100.0 78.1 305 433 1 1 128 164 60 739 27 27 25 0
2017-18 Iowa 25.7 12.8 3.8 9.0 1.4 0.6 2.1 1.9 67.1 0.0 80.6 320 477 0 0 183 227 65 823 32 32 28 0
2016-17 Iowa 18.5 10.1 3.4 6.7 0.7 0.6 1.3 1.7 64.7 0.0 78.8 260 402 0 1 108 137 76 628 34 34 18 0
2015-16 Iowa 10.7 6.8 2.6 4.2 0.8 0.3 1.8 1.7 55.4 0.0 61.5 144 260 0 0 64 104 70 352 33 14 9 0
Career   20.2 10.6 0.0 0.0 1.1 0.5 1.7 1.7 65.5 50.0 76.4 1029 1572 1 2 483 632 271 2542 126 107 80 0
SEASON

maybe someone can help, but, the only one that comes to mind at this time is freshman Shakira Austin from Maryland. however, i am not sure the Big Ten sees a gustafson type player for a long time. exceptional footwork and an unbelievable knack to get herself in a position to score around the basket. i watched a number of iowa games with gustafson the past couple of years and it just seemed rare she would get her shot blocked. had a knack to use practically any part of the backboard to score. plus, as fans saw monday night, she can score from just about anywhere. i am curious who worked with gustafson---they deserve some accolades. idk, maybe it was all gustafson the past couple of seasons. 

Austin made big strides since i watched her during the first part of the season. especially on the offensive end. Thome (um) and Allen (msu) are seniors. Hillmon (fr) from michigan will be a handful for anyone during her career. 

i still think the huskers need to find that offensive threat---one that is a consistent threat to score around 16-20+ a game every time she steps on the court---instead of "hoping" someone is gonna have a great game and drop a bunch. it makes

every one better. right now, maybe haiby? brown? potential could be there. if verbeek can limit the fouls, she is going to give coach a real good all around game, but, don't see her being a big scorer game in and game out. i can see huskers being really young at times on the court next season. have to see what the new recruits bring. at times, i can see huskers having a mix of 1st and 2nd year players during stretches.

Edited by whoopdeedoo