Jack Mitchell sounds off!!

16 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I don’t buy the “lack of resources” bit anymore and there was someone in the crowd yesterday, initials T.O. that might chime in with his 2 cents when/if it comes to a new hire...

Man I sure hope this was sarcastic.  I know that everybody worships TO, but his reign of hiring coaches is less than ideal. Pelini was fired, Miles will likely and there are some calling for Erstad to be gone too. I get that he was a tremendous football coach. But let's leave it at that.

2 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

was still way better than the 3 coaches that followed him. made the tourney 5 times in a 10 year span. got fired for having 1 bad season.

You say that our next coach needs to have a win in the NCAA tournament to be hireable.   I pointed out that Nee had won a game in the tournament,  and never won one here.  Plus, his conference record was 43 percent.  He finished in the top half of the conference twice in his 1st 7 years, and 5 times total in 14 years.

So, winning a tournament game doesn't qualify you to be the next coach.  Nor, never winning one, should automatically disqualify you.  The tournament has to do with match-ups. Most mid majors are not going to get a high seed.  In fact, Collier had 12, 13 and 14 seeds.  Doc had an 11 seed.  Miles also had an 11 seed.

19 minutes ago, brfrad said:

You say that our next coach needs to have a win in the NCAA tournament to be hireable.   I pointed out that Nee had won a game in the tournament,  and never won one here.  Plus, his conference record was 43 percent.  He finished in the top half of the conference twice in his 1st 7 years, and 5 times total in 14 years.

So, winning a tournament game doesn't qualify you to be the next coach.  Nor, never winning one, should automatically disqualify you.  The tournament has to do with match-ups. Most mid majors are not going to get a high seed.  In fact, Collier had 12, 13 and 14 seeds.  Doc had an 11 seed.  Miles also had an 11 seed.

obviously hiring a coach that has won a tourney game in the past doesn't guarantee they will win here. point i was trying to make is that we should have higher standards and hire a coach that has accompmlished more than simply taking a mid major to the tournament.

Edited by TimSmiles

15 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Maybe it should be worded that the new coach should show he could consistently make the tournament and win there - Nee won 1 tournament game before coming here - he wasn’t Coach K or Bill Self. When your goal is to win your 1st tournament game in school history, it definitely would be a good idea to get someone that’s been there and done that, preferably more than 1 time.

8 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

Man I sure hope this was sarcastic.  I know that everybody worships TO, but his reign of hiring coaches is less than ideal. Pelini was fired, Miles will likely and there are some calling for Erstad to be gone too. I get that he was a tremendous football coach. But let's leave it at that.

I was merely pointing out that T.O. is someone you might want to bounce some ideas off of or ask for an opinion. Those three Coaches you mentioned were roundly praised when they were hired and all had a certain level of success especially considering what preceded and followed...