I'm not mad I'm just disappointed

jdw

1 hour ago, throwback said:

Thanks a million. Now I have an image of the Shim-Shams in various stages of undress performing around a stripper's pole at center court. As if this season hasn't been horrific enough. 

Two or three more failed six-year-rebuilding plans and I'll be old enough that the Shim-Shams might start to look appealing.

8 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I could see this.  Anyone who has followed the program since Miles got here knows that he's "that guy" when it comes to quirkyness, jokes, and fan connection.

I'm not mad about the comment from Miles, per se. I know he's quirky, I have no issue with weirdness in general. What it does come across as, though, is an "appearance" of tone deafness. That's not a good look when the team you're coaching has won 2 of its past 11. That's the general malaise of it all. I don't care about Miles' status any more, he made his own bed & he has to deal with the end result. Will be interesting to see what unfolds this next month. Can the Huskers pull a rabbit out of the hat a time or two. Who knows, and I doubt it changes what Moos does in the final analysis... nonetheless, GO BIG RED !!! GBR !!!

3 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I'm not mad about the comment from Miles, per se. I know he's quirky, I have no issue with weirdness in general. What it does come across as, though, is an "appearance" of tone deafness. That's not a good look when the team you're coaching has won 2 of its past 11. That's the general malaise of it all. I don't care about Miles' status any more, he made his own bed & he has to deal with the end result. Will be interesting to see what unfolds this next month. Can the Huskers pull a rabbit out of the hat a time or two. Who knows, and I doubt it changes what Moos does in the final analysis... nonetheless, GO BIG RED !!! GBR !!!

I think right now, it depends if Moos can get one of the top 5 on his list.  If they all have zero interest,  he sticks with Miles.

9 hours ago, brfrad said:

I think right now, it depends if Moos can get one of the top 5 on his list.  If they all have zero interest,  he sticks with Miles.

No way he "sticks with Miles" barring a miraculous late season run.   Zero chance.   Moos only extended him a year, and said he was looking for consistently successful seasons.  That he really needed to string good conference finishes together.     The challenge to Miles was crystal clear.  Moos couldn't have been more clear about the expectation, and it couldn't be more obvious that we didn't meet it.   I can't fathom that Moos would now excuse what he said had to happen, e.g. "Well, I didn't account for an injury to one guy:"  The list will be longer than 5 guys.  Whether one is a die hard Miles fan or not, the writing is more than all the wall.   It has been in a series of public statements by the athletic director.

I think you mean no "realistic way". If we sweep the last three regular season games and lose in the finals of the Big Ten tourney and still get invited to the NCAA, then it would be hard to fire him. This actually could happen in an alternative universe like the one in "Fringe" ( a show I still miss).

Edited by jimmykc

44 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I think you mean no "realistic way". If we sweep the last three regular season games and lose in the finals of the Big Ten tourney and still get invited to the NCAA, then it would be hard to fire him. This actually could happen in an alternative universe like the one in "Fringe" ( a show I still miss".

No, it wouldn't be hard to fire him even under that scenario.  Getting hot for the final games of the year won't overshadow the failures he has had over the past 7 seasons.  He has done less with more talent than any coach we have had here.

3 hours ago, HB said:

No way he "sticks with Miles" barring a miraculous late season run.   Zero chance.   Moos only extended him a year, and said he was looking for consistently successful seasons.  That he really needed to string good conference finishes together.     The challenge to Miles was crystal clear.  Moos couldn't have been more clear about the expectation, and it couldn't be more obvious that we didn't meet it.   I can't fathom that Moos would now excuse what he said had to happen, e.g. "Well, I didn't account for an injury to one guy:"  The list will be longer than 5 guys.  Whether one is a die hard Miles fan or not, the writing is more than all the wall.   It has been in a series of public statements by the athletic director.

Well, for the record there has never been any official public statement made by the Administration specifying that if TM does not make the NCAA Tourney he would not be retained.  Fans and media simply made the inference based on the 1 year extension, and not unjustly I would add.  It has also been fans and media adding the “even if there is an injury,” clause.  Again, just for the record.  

That said, 100% agree, Moos does not “stick” with Miles.  

2 hours ago, hal9000 said:

Well, for the record there has never been any official public statement made by the Administration specifying that if TM does not make the NCAA Tourney he would not be retained.  Fans and media simply made the inference based on the 1 year extension, and not unjustly I would add.  It has also been fans and media adding the “even if there is an injury,” clause.  Again, just for the record.  

That said, 100% agree, Moos does not “stick” with Miles.  

Well, my post didn't say anything about making the NCAA tournament.  Not  one word.   You might want to re-read it.   It referred to the fairly considerable number of public statements directly from the mouth of the AD, which anyone could easily look up or play from recordings from any of Jimmy's Ebays.   And I wasn't talking about "inferences", but direct statements by one Bill Moos.   So don't "for the record"  me twice, when you didn't even read the damn post. 

Edited by HB

1 hour ago, HB said:

Well, my post didn't say anything about making the NCAA tournament.  Not  one word.   You might want to re-read it.   It referred to the fairly considerable number of public statements directly from the mouth of the AD, which anyone could easily look up or play from recordings from any of Jimmy's Ebays.   And I wasn't talking about "inferences", but direct statements by one Bill Moos.   So don't "for the record"  me twice, when you didn't even read the damn post. 

I RE-read your post, and you're right, you did not say anything about making the tournament.  Over the course of the season, and particularly recently I hear a lot of people make a statement to the effect of, "Miles knows Moos expects him to make the tournament or he's out of a job," or some variance of it.    I've heard it so much that it's become part of the narrative, but it is not factually true.  So perhaps I was putting that sentiment on you as well, and I was wrong to do so. 

4 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

I RE-read your post, and you're right, you did not say anything about making the tournament.  Over the course of the season, and particularly recently I hear a lot of people make a statement to the effect of, "Miles knows Moos expects him to make the tournament or he's out of a job," or some variance of it.    I've heard it so much that it's become part of the narrative, but it is not factually true.  So perhaps I was putting that sentiment on you as well, and I was wrong to do so. 

No worries; thanks. 

3 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Wow, kldm64, you really have your mind made up. Ok, using your reasoning, and still dealing with the alternative universe, lets say the team gets hot at the end of the year, wins all of its final games, and becomes NCAA champion. Would you still let him go because of the "failures" he has had over the past 7 seasons?? 

Of course you don't fire him, don't be ridiculous!  You obviously give him a one year extension to make sure it wasn't a fluke! ?

6 hours ago, jimmykc said:

I think you mean no "realistic way". If we sweep the last three regular season games and lose in the finals of the Big Ten tourney and still get invited to the NCAA, then it would be hard to fire him. This actually could happen in an alternative universe like the one in "Fringe" ( a show I still miss).

Fringe was a great show.

6 hours ago, kldm64 said:

No, it wouldn't be hard to fire him even under that scenario.  Getting hot for the final games of the year won't overshadow the failures he has had over the past 7 seasons.  He has done less with more talent than any coach we have had here.

One could argue Nee was close. Exhibit A: NIT championship team. Exhibit B: 0-5 in the tourney. Both underachieved with the talent they have/had.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:31 AM, hskr4life said:

Theres a whole thread about this, but once again... that comment was blown wayyyyy out of proportion.  It was simply Miles being Miles.  Bad timing?  Maybe.  Shot at the fans and school?  Not a chance.

The only reason he had to issue the Twitter response was because of reactions like this.  

It's not wayyyy out of proportion at all.  He spoke his mind, and it is a childish, but worse, a disrespectful thing to say to any fan, like myself, that has shelled out of his funds to support the program.  In about 3 weeks, he will have ripped all of us off (no better or worse than Riley did) for being overpaid and underperforming.  Sorry, but you deserve no pass to wiggle off of the hook if you let it slip during an interview.  The truth from his own statement is that the money grab reduces the hot seat to not be so hot.  Wish I would have known that before I bought my 13th consecutive season tickets.  It's just damn maddening and disappointing to believe in this anymore.

Edited by JeffsBBall
sentence

9 hours ago, JeffsBBall said:

It's not wayyyy out of proportion at all.  He spoke his mind, and it is a childish, but worse, a disrespectful thing to say to any fan, like myself, that has shelled out of his funds to support the program.  In about 3 weeks, he will have ripped all of us off (no better or worse than Riley did) for being overpaid and underperforming.  Sorry, but you deserve no pass to wiggle off of the hook if you let it slip during an interview.  The truth from his own statement is that the money grab reduces the hot seat to not be so hot.  Wish I would have known that before I bought my 13th consecutive season tickets.  It's just damn maddening and disappointing to believe in this anymore.

I got you by 28 consecutive years so don't make too much too much of your misery.   

Edited by HB

1 hour ago, JeffsBBall said:

Did you actually listen to this podcast or did you just read this line somewhere. If you read it, where did you read it first? 

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Did you actually listen to this podcast or did you just read this line somewhere. If you read it, where did you read it first? 

Totally agree.  You have to listen to the podcast.  If you did, you would know it's just Tim Miles being Tim Miles.  He uses humor for tough questions.  He wasn't "slapping" Husker fans in the face.  This guy has been/is a great ambassador for NU hoops.  I wanted it to work.  It hasn't.   

You want to feel "slapped in the face" as a fan?  Try being a football season ticket holder when Pelini basically told the fans to "f off" after the Ohio State game.  Then you can feel disrespected by a head coach.

1 hour ago, Klas3131 said:

Totally agree.  You have to listen to the podcast.  If you did, you would know it's just Tim Miles being Tim Miles.  He uses humor for tough questions.  He wasn't "slapping" Husker fans in the face.  This guy has been/is a great ambassador for NU hoops.  I wanted it to work.  It hasn't.   

You want to feel "slapped in the face" as a fan?  Try being a football season ticket holder when Pelini basically told the fans to "f off" after the Ohio State game.  Then you can feel disrespected by a head coach.

Yep. Agreed. B1G-time.