uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 28 - Purdue

uneblinstu

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Ahh, but for rebounding and free throws, we coulda, shoulda, but didn't win. 

Also sort of sad to see the body language of Coach Miles and then listening to the post game interview.  

Miles has never been defeated to this extent before in his career. He's met his match in P5, as so many other midmajor coaches before him have. This is all new to him. I still think if he's smart, he changes his trajectory and starts doing some bench time as an asst to a higher end P5 program and learning the missing skills he's never needed until now. He's too young and talented to just retreat back down. But he's going to have to eat his pride and accept that he has some learning to do that he can't do as the boss. 

Edited by tcp

6 hours ago, tcp said:

Miles has never been defeated to this extent before in his career. He's met his match in P5, as so many other midmajor coaches before him have. This is all new to him. I still think if he's smart, he changes his trajectory and starts doing some bench time as an asst to a higher end P5 program and learning the missing skills he's never needed until now. He's too young and talented to just retreat back down. But he's going to have to eat his pride and accept that he has some learning to do that he can't do as the boss. 

I don't know if he needs to go the assistant route.  He is a good coach and recruiter.  The problem for him is that the Big 10 has 13 others like him.  Even, Chambers is a good recruiter.   This league is unforgiving.   Our next coach is going to struggle.   Underwood took Okie State to the dance in 1 year.  Illinois hasn't came close.  It sucks for Miles that his best year came when the Big 10 was down, and the quad system came into effect. 

Idk
Its frustrating too be close so many times and then have some hero ball not go the right way in the end
How many times can Palmer keep doing this but Ohhh but hes averaging blah blah those averages are useless cosmetic stats
it's like he's trying too hard for the nba

It appears his bball iq is very low and it blew my mind when he passed it on the break for the roby dunk I literally almost fell outta my chair

And then near the end he wants to be yelling out commands and whatever
No 1 wants too hear that crap
hell
you blew the damn game
But anyway
Glynn welcome back I think
Tanner did Tanner stuff
Allen idk had some head scratchers
Roby idk guess he did Roby stuff those fouls were meh but that haarms 1 smh
Amir idk I like amir a lot

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, brfrad said:

I don't know if he needs to go the assistant route.  He is a good coach and recruiter.  The problem for him is that the Big 10 has 13 others like him.  Even, Chambers is a good recruiter.   This league is unforgiving.   Our next coach is going to struggle.   Underwood took Okie State to the dance in 1 year.  Illinois hasn't came close.  It sucks for Miles that his best year came when the Big 10 was down, and the quad system came into effect. 

And think about the recruiting hotbed that Underwood is in now, especially in comparison to where he was at in Stillwater.  If Underwood can maintain his cool and keep players AND establish pipelines in Chicago, he is going to have a lot of success.

Notes and quotes

Nebraska Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska committed only five turnovers against Purdue, tying for its fewest turnovers in a game this season.
*-Nebraska held Purdue to 37.7 percent, making the ninth time NU held an opponent under 40 percent. NU is 7-2 in those games.
*-Glynn Watson Jr. finished with a season-high 25 points, topping his season high set against Western Illinois on Nov. 24. It was his 13th career 20-point game and the first time he has scored 20 points in a Big Ten Conference game since a 21-point effort at Penn State on Jan. 12, 2018.
*-With five 3-pointers against Purdue, Watson tied Ray Gallegos for seventh place on Nebraska’s 3-point chart with 158.
*- Today’s game marked the fourth time this season that Glynn Watson Jr. connected on at least four 3-pointers in a game and the first time since Dec. 29, against Southwest Minnesota State. He also had five 3-pointers against Mississippi Valley State and four against Missouri State. 
*-James Palmer Jr. had 15 points – his 24th consecutive game in double figures – and a season-high eight assists. Palmer’s eight assists ties were one shy of his career high of nine assists at Minnesota on Feb. 6, 2018.
*-Palmer went 10-of-10 at the free throw line, marking the second time this season Palmer has been perfect at the line in at least 10 attempts (11-for-11 vs. Michigan State on Jan. 17). With his 10 free throws, he moved past Terran Petteway (167 in 2013-14) and into second place on Nebraska’s season chart with 175 free throws this season. Palmer is just nine away from tying Jack Moore’s school record of 184 free throws in the 1979-80 season.
*-Amir Harris tied his career high with six points, which he also had against Mississippi Valley State in the season opener. 
*-Tanner Borchardt’s seven rebounds marked the seventh time this season he has grabbed seven or more rebounds in a game this season. Borchardt also made a career-high four free throws, hitting 4-of-5 from the charity stripe.

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles
On what he takes from the last two games
“I don’t take much from the Penn State game. It was extremely disappointing, right? Tonight is disappointing in its own way, but obviously I’m proud of our guys. I thought they were just a couple plays away from winning. I think that things you look at, like Purdue really [made] a couple hustle plays at the end of the clock out of Grady [Eifert]. He gets the cut (on the inbounds play with one second on the shot clock). We’re zoned up to try and take away the lob or cut, and he ends up scoring. Then he catches the air ball and puts it in. Those are two big plays. Their sprint-and-slip thing, they got us at the end of the first half. Those are, what, seven points, if I do the math. We miss a couple bunnies inside that are point blank. It just doesn’t take much. Your margin of error is not great.”

On the disappointment from key plays
“I threw my water bottle. You know, I look at it overall and I’m like, ‘Okay, did we follow the game plan?’ Yes, I thought we did. We did a good job harassing their perimeter guys. We did a very good job on Carsen Edwards. His efficiency was not great. You know that when you’ve committed two to the ball on all those DHO’s that you might be weak rebounding. We knew we were going to play [Matt] Haarms and [Trevion] Williams straight up in the post, but two at a time. So you put yourself in a position, and it comes down to a couple extra effort plays or whatever it might be, and that’s why Purdue is Purdue. Matt Painter is one of the best coaches in the country, there’s no doubt about it, but I thought our kids really did a great job.”

On how close the team is to overcoming the costly errors
“First of all, I think you just credit Purdue and Grady Eifert. Those are very good plays. Credit the victor, right? Second of all, I don’t think we made a mistake. I don’t think we’re out anything. It was a scramble situation defensively. Sometimes the game breaks you. The locker room… well you could see how Glynn [Watson Jr.] was. They’re a disappointed bunch of guys.”

Senior Guard Glynn Watson Jr.
On his hot start today
“Just playing hard, just playing within the offense.”

On defending Carsen Edwards and holding him to 3-of-16 shooting
“I’m just going to step up to the challenge no matter what. Try to bring it on defense, just trying to play with energy and confidence on defense.”

On if he felt they played a full 40 minutes
“I’d say 35. We had a couple breakdowns at the end that cost us rebounds and stuff like that. I thought we played hard the whole game.”

On if he felt the team was in sync
“I think we were on the same page. We’ve just got to communicate more on the floor and execute.”

Purdue Coach Matt Painter
On Purdue’s offensive rebounding
“Our effort was really good. I thought when our shots went up, our guys were very active on the glass, keeping balls alive, getting some kick-out threes, getting some put backs. Grady (Eifert) has been huge for us all year with his effort with kind of those 50/50 plays. It’s something that when we were struggling to score right there at the end a little bit. Him getting those put backs made the difference.”

On Purdue’s changes in the second half of the Big Ten season 
“Obviously, our defense has gotten better. I’ve said this, it’s not like we’ve arrived defensively, as we’re a great defensive team. We’re just a lot better than we used to be. But you can’t gauge your efficiency on missed shots, especially when you shoot a lot of threes. You have to be able to make good decisions, pass the ball, move the basketball and when your shots aren’t going down, it’s a hard thing to move past that. Especially for us, with all the threes that we take, but you find a way to win. A lot of people will dig at how you win as you progress, but you find a way to win. We went to Indiana, we were fortunate, but we found a way to win. When we came here today, we were fortunate again, but we still found a way. I think this is what good teams do. And to be able to hang in here, make our free throws, not turn the basketball over, and out-rebound them by 17 and have 19 offensive rebounds, you’ll take that. Obviously we have a lot of misses in there, but as long as your effort is good and your energy is good, normally things are going to work out for you.”

On how tough it is to play on the road in the Big Ten
“For Nebraska, they have great fans. Indiana has great fans. You know you’re going to go into a hostile environment. To be able to come here in blizzard-like conditions and see all these fans, it’s pretty cool. It shows the loyalty and support they get here at Nebraska. Just hostile environments in the Big Ten. I think our attendance has been the No. 1 in the country as a conference for 43 years. It speaks for itself, but we have great venues. If you got to go on the road and play, you know it’s going to be difficult. It doesn’t matter if that team is ranked first in your league or 14th in your league, it does not matter. You know it’s going to be difficult.”

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

Nebraska's going to "average" a record crowd this season?!  Even with 9k, it's hard to contend 'apathy' is involved...... in a blizzard....... In a 2 of 11 stretch for NU.

Yup. Goes by tickets sold and we were selling a ton of tickets to Christmas break games this year.