uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 28 - Purdue

uneblinstu

Based on score, effort, whatever you want to go by, NU was competitive. NU should have won the game. Some will bring up rebounds but when there’s 9 missed threes by one dude...I don’t know. There were some bad ones where all we had to do was box out (45) but most of the time I wasn’t terribly concerned about effort etc. 

Amir’s foul was clean on the sideline swipe. Purdue shot ninety whatever percent from the line. But what bugged me about flow was Roby seems like he can get hacked with no call but he gets fouls called on him. The dunk was horrible. 

Palmer is going through something that is unexplainable at this point. His shots just will not fall.

Cope plays today and we win by double digits easily.

We all know what’s coming in two weeks though.

Losing Copeland was huge.  I know we weren't playing well before, but we lost 12 PPG switching Copeland and Tanner. 

Refs were abysmal.   Touch fouls on some trips, and Roby gets hammered, no call.

Glad to see the defensive effort. Showing me they haven't quit on this staff.  After Tuesday,  I thought maybe they had.

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

Losing Copeland was huge.  I know we weren't playing well before, but we lost 12 PPG switching Copeland and Tanner. 

Refs were abysmal.   Touch fouls on some trips, and Roby gets hammered, no call.

Glad to see the defensive effort. Showing me they haven't quit on this staff.  After Tuesday,  I thought maybe they had.

Brfrad and I are not the same person. But great minds think alike. 

We're just not a smart basketball team. we don't communicate well or consistently on the court. most of the teams in this league have improved over the course of the season. we're one of the few that has gotten demonstrably worse. 

fortunately, that phase ends in a few weeks. 

I have to have a team that plays hard and plays smart, and I'll sacrifice some talent for that every time. And I'll take the Mites over this club every single time for that reason. 

16 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

There's very little else to say. They played ok at times. They didn't in significant spots. The refs missed a few calls that might have swung things. We all know what's coming, I think. And I hate that it's gone this way...

May just want to copy and paste this in the remaining postgame chatter threads...

Solid effort today.  Loved the energy Amir brought.  Thought Glynn was going to go for 30.  I hate Matt Haarms.  Fouls every play and whines after every call.

Killed on the boards 49-31 (offensive: 20-10)

Purdue got to line a lot and hit almost every one up until the end (Purdue: 23/26; 88%), (Nebraska: 14/17; 82%)

Palmer drives me crazy.  Beginning of the season he was taking it to the basket and getting a ton of foul shots.  Past 10+ games he's been settling and forcing bad shots.  Have to admit I was shocked when he was the leading the break and dumped it off to Roby for the jam.  Seems like Palmer takes that shot 99% of the time.

3 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want Miles gone, unless Moos has a proven winner lined up.  Miles > Doc > Barry

Don't see the point in bringing in another mid-major "up and coming" coach, losing half the team and a majority of the recruiting class.

If only he had an offensive coordinator.

Actually,  offense seemed better today, especially first half.  It helps when shots are falling.   Need a coach to break down players' shots, and get them to be better shooters.

-JPJ had his hand wrapped and I noticed it in the PSU game. Unsure of how much that is effecting him. 

-Glynm wanted to go right at carsen all night. Didn't back down and defended him very well I thought

-the more I watch amir, the more I like him. So smooth driving the ball. Good passer as a freshman. Had that freshman mistake in the first half with the inbounds play but he responded very well. Great defender also. Hope we can keep him

-roby I thought would have the advantage against eifert, but didn't look too take the action to him. Part of that was with haarms in the lane. He's all of 7 feet. 

1 minute ago, thrasher31 said:

- the more I watch amir, the more I like him. So smooth driving the ball. Good passer as a freshman. Had that freshman mistake in the first half with the inbounds play but he responded very well. Great defender also. Hope we can keep him

If he can develop some sort of offensive weapon beyond driving to the rim, he'll be a starter in short order. He's gonna be a great defender before his time is done.

21 minutes ago, BjoeHusker said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't want Miles gone, unless Moos has a proven winner lined up.  Miles > Doc > Barry

Don't see the point in bringing in another mid-major "up and coming" coach, losing half the team and a majority of the recruiting class.

I think that's Michael Lewis. Losing Kenya Hunter hurt quite a lot, tho. And, obviously, that Cope injury deep-sixed the Huskers in a lot of ways. So much promise... lost. In the blink of an eye.

Edited by AuroranHusker

When we were down 2 at crunch time we:

- Forced Edwards to throw up an air ball then watched as they converted an uncontested put back.

- Had Allen throw up a desperation 3 as the shot clock expired.

- Watched Palmer commit a silly reach in foul on the following possession.

Ballgame... these are the type of plays that are the difference between winning and losing.

52 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

When we were down 2 at crunch time we:

- Forced Edwards to throw up an air ball then watched as they converted an uncontested put back.

- Had Allen throw up a desperation 3 as the shot clock expired.

- Watched Palmer commit a silly reach in foul on the following possession.

Ballgame... these are the type of plays that are the difference between winning and losing.

Yep. Horrible finishing by NU. Purdue's won 14 of 16. It showed.

1 hour ago, brfrad said:

Actually,  offense seemed better today, especially first half.  It helps when shots are falling.   Need a coach to break down players' shots, and get them to be better shooters.

Combination of playing at home and Purdue isn't an elite defense. Michigan might hold us under 50

2 hours ago, BjoeHusker said:

Miles may very well leave Nebraska with a losing record overall. I’m not sure sure he is >>>>Doc or Collier. And he does have an offensive coordinator. His name is Mike Lewis. Either Lewis has failed to live up to expectations or Miles has not given him full reign. Either way...we just don’t have enough shooters. That’s a recruiting issue. 

2 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Miles may very well leave Nebraska with a losing record overall. I’m not sure sure he is >>>>Doc or Collier. And he does have an offensive coordinator. His name is Mike Lewis. Either Lewis has failed to live up to expectations or Miles has not given him full reign. Either way...we just don’t have enough shooters. That’s a recruiting issue. 

He's not better.   He's flashed more than Sadler and Collier but he's also had more pitfalls and valleys.  So at the end of the day, the results are practically the same

It's unfortunate.   He was likeable.   He was a good face to the program.  He was a good marketer for the program.  But it's time.  If he's back...things will get real ugly.   

Edited by nustudent