Kalynn Meyer

Bugeaters1

When coach Cook recruited her making her an offer he said he liked projects like she would be.  He said she was very athletic and since she hadn't played that much club volleyball she would likely be a redshirt candidate her first year.  Since she committed to VB we have picked up several top notch outside hitters so you never know about her changing sports or doing both.  If Cook thinks she continues to have a big VB future I don't see a dual sport for her.  Anyway I would like to see her play BB and spread the wealth around a bit.  

Edited by HUD

I think she was near the state discus record as a sophomore.....Over 150 ft...and holds the state meet discus record...set last year, or something lie that...

Her dad still holds the Nebraska HS boys discus record. Over 200 ft

Volleyball, basketball, track....name a sport. She's almost freakish...and has the family heritage  to boot.

Coach Cook will make her a premier player ....with her athletic abilities

Edited by redsteve

She throws discus over 175 feet, which I believe puts her in second place on the all time HS top 10 in Nebraska.  I would think she’s more of a lock for VB and then track and field, but not basketball.  Her discus talent is enough to take her to the NCAA track and field championships now - so I suspect Pepin will bend over backwards to make it possible for her to throw for outdoor track.

Another local athlete, that has already committed to Cook.....

.... is Rylee Gray...Elkhorn  She dominated yesterday in state basketball...may of had close to a triple double.   6-4 sophomore that can take over a game almost single handed.

She could easily play for the women's basketball team......basketball is/was her first love of sports. The big if...if the NU BBall was in the top 10 year and year out...then maybe play BBall.

Edited by redsteve

On 2/24/2019 at 12:44 PM, huskerchode said:

She throws discus over 175 feet, which I believe puts her in second place on the all time HS top 10 in Nebraska.  I would think she’s more of a lock for VB and then track and field, but not basketball.  Her discus talent is enough to take her to the NCAA track and field championships now - so I suspect Pepin will bend over backwards to make it possible for her to throw for outdoor track.

The women's college discus is the same weight as the high school's so yes her high school discus distances are pretty impressive when compared to college.  On the other hand I'm sure Coach Cook wouldn't want to see her having an injury doing it.

14 minutes ago, HUD said:

The women's college discus is the same weight as the high school's so yes her high school discus distances are pretty impressive when compared to college.  On the other hand I'm sure Coach Cook wouldn't want to see her having an injury doing it.

And her 175 mark came as a sophomore in HS, which is a sick number to have as a sophomore.  I was talking to a former Olympian who is a throws coach at a D1 school and he was salivating at the thought of recruiting her, right up until I told him she was committed to NU VB.  I still think she throws disc for NU in the spring - she can wear a belt to help her back if she needs to.

I will be interested to see her progression in this track season.  If she keeps improving like she has been, she has a shot at making Olympic trials in 2020.