Talent lacking in the state of Nebraska has been greatly exaggerated

AuroranHusker

Well-rounded recruiting/roster management article for Hail Varsity by @Jacob Padilla:

https://hailvarsity.com/s/6270/padding-the-stats-theres-basketball-talent-in-nebraska

Nebraska could grab 2 dudes in a lot of classes that would provide depth, either as shooters, skilled PG technicians, or even just bangers down low. The state of Nebraska has a whole lot of serviceable players who have starred at a lot of mid-major programs in the past decade. Why not take a flyer on a home-grown kid when a bunch of kids have left a year without contributing much. It's worth a discussion, especially in regards to the future as Akol Arop, Donovan Williams, Chucky Hepburn, Hunter Sallis et al seem to be primed for potential Husker roles in the next half-decade (in addition to NU's Brady Heiman and solid contribution.from Tanner Borchardt this year).

2 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

"There are no players in Nebraska every year and you need that, especially at a place like Nebraska."
--

Narrator: "Omaha had produced a top 40 NBA draft pick the last two NBA drafts."

Jacob pretty much dispels the common lazy narrative fairly quickly. A lot of good ballers from the state. Now, there aren't a ton of 4-star worthy players, but that isn't the whole story when it comes to basketball roster management. And I'm not referring to sticking a few walk-ons on the end of the bench; I think NU could have 4 to 6 in-state kids on the team (potentially) that are even highly recruited in the few seasons. The state of Nebraska has seemed to develop a lot of kids who are coachable at the next level, and by most accounts, the kids have been generally well-liked players who work their tails off with some talent, to boot! 

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Jacob pretty much dispels the common lazy narrative fairly quickly. A lot of good ballers from the state. Now, there aren't a ton of 4-star worthy players, but that isn't the whole story when it comes to basketball roster management. And I'm not referring to sticking a few walk-ons on the end of the bench; I think NU could have 4 to 6 in-state kids on the team (potentially) that are even highly recruited in the few seasons. The state of Nebraska has seemed to develop a lot of kids who are coachable at the next level, and by most accounts, the kids have been generally well-liked players who work their tails off with some talent, to boot! 

I thought it was a great article. Wish Goodman would have brought it up with Miles - Seems like Miles would have straightened him out.

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

I thought it was a great article. Wish Goodman would have brought it up with Miles - Seems like Miles would have straightened him out.

It's such a lame, national excuse. I've heard it for football, even. Which is even more preposterous. Nebraska has always recruited nationally, yet always supplemented the makeup of the roster with home-grown kids. A lot of programs do it, namely Wisconsin as far as B1G programs--gridiron and hardwood, in fact.

there was enough talent from nebraska to win the 2016-17 ncaa championship.

Tra-Deon Hollins/mike gesell (if he redshirted)/Malik Hluchoweckyj

Khyri Thomas/Nick Billingsley/Triston Simpson

Tre'Shawn Thurman/mitch hahn

Mike Daum/Tyler Hagedorn

Justin Patton/akoy agau/borchardt

Edited by TimSmiles

I have been attempting to remember the native Nebraskans who have played in the NBA.  I could remember about five, so I looked it up...I assume this is accurate:

1. Wally Anderzunas - Creighton Prep/Cincinnati Royals
  2. Ron Boone - Omaha Tech/Various
  3. Bob Boozer - Omaha Tech/Various
  4. Dave Hoppen - Omaha Benson/Various
  5. Lee Johnson - Omaha South/Houston Rockets
  6. Rich King - Omaha Burke/Seattle Super Sonics
  7. Bart Kofoed - Omaha Westside/Various
  8. Tom Kropp - Aurora/Washington Bullets
  9. Mike McGee - Omaha North/ LA Lakers
  10. Justin Patton - Omaha North/played one game for Minnesota Timberwolves 
  11. Alex Stivrens - Lincoln East/Seattle Super Sonics
  12. Erick Strickland - Bellevue West/Dallas Mavericks
  13. Cedric Hunter - Omaha South/Charlotte Hornets

A number of players (such as Chuck Jura, Ron Kellogg, Steve Bartek and Bus Whitehead) were drafted but did not play in the NBA.

Another group of players were born, but not raised in Nebraska that played in the NBA included:  Fred Hoiberg, Mike Higgins, Rex Walters, Mark Pope, Kenny Sailors and Chuck Gardner.

Just a handful of these players played at UNL.

21 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Interesting that there are some individuals that are becoming big time prospects in the state, but as far as teams go, I think this is a down year, in class A at least.

My hometown team is getting things done in Class B. The Aurora Huskies are 24-1, with its only loss being to Class A Gretna at Gretna's holiday tourney. Huskies have also defeated defending Class B champ York three times, including a 63-42 win earlier in York; then went back to York to beat the Dukes and win a 4th consecutive Central 10 Conference tournament (which had never been done before now).

15 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

My hometown team is getting things done in Class B. The Aurora Huskies are 24-1, with its only loss being to Class A Gretna at Gretna's holiday tourney. Huskies have also defeated defending Class B champ York three times, including a 63-42 win earlier in York; then went back to York to beat the Dukes and win a 4th consecutive Central 10 Conference tournament (which had never been done before now).

Yeah and it's best player is going north to play.

I'm watching the Penn St - Illinois game right now.  Every body on both teams are quicker than S*** and very athletic.  I have a had time believing that there are any Nebraska high school BBall players who can compete at this level, and these teams are at the bottom of the Big 10. Maybe if Nebraska could get 10 to15 to walk on, we could get 1 or 2 roll players!

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

But how would we recruit Iceland then?

Im all for getting the best players regardless of where they are from. But considering the questionable bench players Miles has recruited and the fact that he leaves his team empty handed every year.....yep, we could have used some of the Nebraskans that went else where. 

Bingo.

Passing on the guys in this state is one thing.   Who we ended up with at times in lieu of them is what's frustrating

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

Bingo.

Passing on the guys in this state is one thing.   Who we ended up with at times in lieu of them is what's frustrating

Exactly where I'm at... at least recruit the in-state guy, to fill a roster of dudes who want to compete, and don't eventually transfer away every stinkin' year!