Cryptic tweet is cryptic

I have no issue with Kent's tweet.  He has every right to be as descriptive or cryptic as his contract allows.  He has been unfairly bounced from his broadcasting position once before, so he likely understands ramifications of his actions.

People react to tough questions in unique ways.  Many people go through their entire life, not having to give a deposition, or partake in a television or print interview.  Heck, job interviews are harrowing enough.  Coach Miles seems to always use humor or sarcasm when faced with unique questions.  That is sort of what has made him a well liked interview, and what seemed to turn on many Nebraskans.  So to learn that during a podcast he answered a question in a sarcastic or humorous manner should be of no surprise.  Was it tasteful, perhaps not.  But again, why beat up on the man.   

Keep in mind, I'm someone who is livid with the results during the Miles era and think he is an awful coach (great salesman - good recruiter - but awful coach).

With that said, it's pretty dumb that he had to apologize for that comment. If you listen to the podcast, he's clearly joking about the firing thing. 

Very unfair of Sipple to post that as he did (without context). Pretty clear that was a "hit shot" on the way out the door and Steve knew that 99% of readers would have no idea the context of the quote, or he wouldn't have posted it. Not too mention the rest of the story was H-A-R-S-H.

For someone (Sipple) who got cited for a very embarrassing public indecent incident in the early 2000's, I would expect Sipple to have a little more empathy for someone in the public eye and a little more empathetic. Still surprised HE kept his job after that.

Miles' sarcasm is funny at times. "Stay in your lane" could also apply to Miles here, too--coach the team to play as 'one' maybe. And, really, that all was a pretty dumb thing to say, especially knowing a ton of his own Husker fans are never going to be millionaires. So, yeah, the "humor guy" needs to reign it in at times. Oh well, it is what it is... at the end of the day. To quote some coach-speak. ;)

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, hhcdave said:

Very unfair of Sipple to post that as he did (without context). Pretty clear that was a "hit shot" on the way out the door and Steve knew that 99% of readers would have no idea the context of the quote, or he wouldn't have posted it. Not too mention the rest of the story was H-A-R-S-H.

For someone (Sipple) who got cited for a very embarrassing public indecent incident in the early 2000's, I would expect Sipple to have a little more empathy for someone in the public eye and a little more empathetic. Still surprised HE kept his job after that.

Absolutely spot on.  Sipple has been a lap dog for UNL forever now, and his take on what Miles said was either disingenuous, or he's a complete idiot.  This was a cowardly attempt at being one of the first local writers to kick Miles while he's on his way down.  It was a cowardly piece by a garbage writer, and a total opportunist attempt to take advantage of today's words-over-intent attitude.

1 hour ago, hhcdave said:

Keep in mind, I'm someone who is livid with the results during the Miles era and think he is an awful coach (great salesman - good recruiter - but awful coach).

With that said, it's pretty dumb that he had to apologize for that comment. If you listen to the podcast, he's clearly joking about the firing thing. 

Sipp has a history of taking shots at guys when they’re down or on the way out. Never been a fan. There’s being critical and giving commentary that paints a fair picture, but he tends take the low road. Always thought our guy Rosenthal was the better journalist and writer

As the girl who once upon a time assumed that that annoying Purdue jackwagon kid had a package the size of a mini tube of lipstick, let me be the one to say that he probably looks like Ron Jeremy next to Sip. I can imagine no reason for him to run with that in the way he did other than to somehow get some jollies out of it for himself and feel like some sort of big important man. Cool, dude. You don't have to be a sycophant to the AD, but that's a grade-A d-bag move and I hope someone calls him out on it personally. 

21 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

As the girl who once upon a time assumed that that annoying Purdue jackwagon kid had a package the size of a mini tube of lipstick, let me be the one to say that he probably looks like Ron Jeremy next to Sip. I can imagine no reason for him to run with that in the way he did other than to somehow get some jollies out of it for himself and feel like some sort of big important man. Cool, dude. You don't have to be a sycophant to the AD, but that's a grade-A d-bag move and I hope someone calls him out on it personally. 

OK, even without regard for content, that's an A+ as literary prose.   ?      Well played.   

I usually like Sipple's stuff, seems to be a pretty pragmatic guy.  I haven't been listening to his morning show this week (the ticket, 93.7) but I wouldn't' be surprised if there was some clarifications made (I believe he even updated his article).

Context being such a huge part in this, I do not believe coach Miles needed to apologize.

Unfortunately, at this point, speaking to media probably isn't the best choice.  There isn't much he can say to make things better as this thing ends.

I hate to say this, as I had such high hopes for coach Miles and wish he would have been our coach for a long time, I wish him well in his next opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Huskerone said:

I usually like Sipple's stuff, seems to be a pretty pragmatic guy.  I haven't been listening to his morning show this week (the ticket, 93.7) but I wouldn't' be surprised if there was some clarifications made (I believe he even updated his article).

He said him and Coach Miles hashed things out over the phone. Miles thought it was a low blow, and Sipple agreed he took things out of context.

7 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Now we need a counter-apology by Sip to clear the air. And we shouldn't stir up any decades-old silt from the bottom of his pond, either. Better to concentrate on the rest of the remaining games and see how the year plays out. 

But, that's no fun.... better to get a reaction to an earlier reaction to an initial reaction. ;)