Nebraska vs. Northwestern Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Just now, mwm89 said:

Huge W on the road.  Luckily it didn't slip away like, well dare I remind, the UW game. 

Maddie was fantastic.  Way to go, young lady!! 

Refs were lame as almost usual.  Foul on Cain with the game almost expired exemplifies that.

Yeah as much as we have bagged on Maddie, she played lights out tonight.

One thing I know about this team is we can never be far enough ahead so I'm feeling like we'll win.  On the other hand, when we're behind quite a ways I don't feel like were out of it. We are such a streaky team on scoring.  Difficult team to watch.  I have to give props to Whitish and Simon.  Simon's best offensive game this year.  Maybe best ever.  I like Whitish hitting her 3's but dang I wish she would stop making all those silly unforced turnovers.

We still seem to get outhustled for rebounds and loose balls.  I should be used to it by now.  Good thing we shot well from outside because our inside game is almost nonexistent. 

I wish the coach would tell the players to stop lobbing the ball to Cain.  She can't jump and has bricks for hands.

2 minutes ago, longtimefan said:

One thing I know about this team is we can never be far enough ahead so I'm feeling like we'll win.  On the other hand, when we're behind quite a ways I don't feel like were out of it. We are such a streaky team on scoring.  Difficult team to watch.  I have to give props to Whitish and Simon.  Simon's best offensive game this year.  Maybe best ever.  I like Whitish hitting her 3's but dang I wish she would stop making all those silly unforced turnovers.

We still seem to get outhustled for rebounds and loose balls.  I should be used to it by now.  Good thing we shot well from outside because our inside game is almost nonexistent. 

I wish the coach would tell the players to stop lobbing the ball to Cain.  She can't jump and has bricks for hands.

That  glass is about 10% full!  ?

Two huge plays in a row by Haiby during the last couple of minutes were timely especially for a freshman..  First when Cain let #14 slip inside for what it looked like was going to be a put back off an offensive rebound Haiby slips in and steals the ball and then on the other end she has a fantastic drive to the hoop for 2 points.  Big keys in our winning the game.  

12 hours ago, longtimefan said:

From time to time, I've shared some of your concerns.  Passing to Kate, when someone is fronting her, doesn't work. She doesn't do 'vertical' well.  Passing to her, in the normal flow, can be very effective.  Turnovers, can be hair pulling, exasperating, at times. Definitely a work in progress.

I think the hustle and contending for loose balls, has improved.  I don't know if the hustle for rebounds is more an 'out of position' thing, or shows lack of quickness from some of our players. I think the effort is there.  What I fail to take into account, in the heat of the contest, our opponents are good.  We play in a very competitive conference.  Very rarely, are we not in a game.  We compete on this level. I am encouraged by that.   GBR   

Edited by 12dozen

From time to time, I've shared some of your concerns.  Passing to Kate, when someone is fronting her, doesn't work. She doesn't do 'vertical' well.  Passing to her, in the normal flow, can be very effective.  Turnovers, can be hair pulling, exasperating, at times. Definitely a work in progress.

I think the hustle and contending for loose balls, has improved.  I don't know if the hustle for rebounds is more an 'out of position' thing, or shows lack of quickness from some of our players. I think the effort is there.  What I fail to take into account, in the heat of the contest, our opponents are good.  We play in a very competitive conference.  Very rarely, are we not in a game.  We compete on this level. I am encouraged by that.   GBR   

To expand on your rebounding issue, I have seen our player's have the ball and then the opponent digs at the mall and we just let loose of the ball.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

To expand on your rebounding issue, I have seen our player's have the ball and then the opponent digs at the mall and we just let loose of the ball.

Of course this works both ways, as per probably the biggest play of the game when we were nursing a very small lead and Haiby d u g the ball away from the NW player and went coast to coast for a very important layup.

Of course this works both ways, as per probably the biggest play of the game when we were nursing a very small lead and Haiby d u g the ball away from the NW player and went coast to coast for a very important layup.
That has been a very rare occasion. Most time we just give up.

55 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

We get it ripped out of our hands often.  Probably drills that can be utilized, with this area of player development.  Hopefully, we're working on it.  Young team, lots of areas to work on.  Even Kate and Taylor, are only true sophomores.  

Edited by 12dozen

First of all I'm very happy we won.  I thought we'd win by 5 and a road victory is always sweet.  I think we are playing now at about the same level as last year at this time.  Not quite as well defensively but with substantially better depth.  I agree that we try to get the ball into Cain some times when the percentage of getting it to her and then making the shot isn't too good.  As for rebounds, it's that at times especially against athletic posts like Northwestern's 

Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpan or Wittinger from Illinois and Jenna Allen from Mich. St., Kate gives up way too many offensive rebounds.  The good news is that they are all seniors and Kate is a sophomore.  She needs to get quicker and stronger.  Northwestern had 16 more shots then us primarily from getting 11 more offensive rebounds and having 3 less turnovers.  Lucky we were hot and they weren't.

Huskers Hold On for Win Over Wildcats
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211791897
Evanston, Ill. - Hannah Whitish pumped in 19 points and Maddie Simon added 16 points on a perfect shooting night from the field, as Nebraska held on for a 71-64 women's basketball win at Northwestern on Thursday night.

Whitish, a 5-9 junior from Barneveld, Wis., led another three-point barrage by the Big Red by hitting 5-of-8 three-pointers while also dishing out five assists for the Huskers. Simon, a 6-2 senior forward from Lincoln, went a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor, including a pair of threes of her own in arguably her best all-around game of the season.

As a team, the Huskers buried 10-of-18 three-pointers (.556) on their way to improving to 8-8 in Big Ten play and 13-14 overall on the season. Nebraska slipped to 15-12 overall and 8-8 in the league as Nebraska salvaged a season series split with the Wildcats. Over the last two games, Nebraska has hit 22-of-42 threes (.524).

More at the Link:  (wink)

Here's the Official Box Score:  (as previously posted by @Bugeaters1:thumbsup:)
http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5483365.pdf

upload_2019-2-22_12-40-5.png
I'm sure that is 'Official', i.e. including players, ushers, security, consessionaires, parking attendants, etc.
That's Just Downright Embarrassing. :Redface:

upload_2019-2-22_12-38-10.png
upload_2019-2-22_12-39-8.png

Edited by Red Don

1 minute ago, Red Don said:

Here's the Official Box Score:
http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/5483365.pdf

upload_2019-2-22_12-40-5.png
I'm sure that is 'Official', i.e. including players, ushers, security, consessionaires, parking attendants, etc.
That's Just Downright Embarrassing. :Redface:

upload_2019-2-22_12-38-10.png
upload_2019-2-22_12-39-8.png

449 is bad, almost more Nebraska fans than NW fans.

4 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

i was going to post earlier: for all the "heat" maddie has taken from some of us fans at times, i was really hoping she could put it together and finish out her senior year strong. best of luck the rest of the way, maddie! i hope she can keep it up.

We have been on her pretty hard.