Iowa-Minnesota

jayschool

Thus far, Gophers doing to Hawkeyes what they did to Huskers.

14-2 at 15:00 mark.

Turned into a great game 61-59 Gophers with 4.1 left.  Gopher at the line. 

Gessell with two Freshman mistakes that may cost Iowa a win.  Got beat badly on defense than tried to make something happen at the other end and lost the ball.  Then misses a three at the end.  Guessing he would like the last 13 seconds of this game back.

Fran will not get this program to the next level.

I am not impressed with him as a coach.....

They're still trending upward but that weak preseason conference schedule means they need to go at least .500 in the conference if they want a chance at the tourney.  That means they need to sweep Nebraska.

They're still trending upward but that weak preseason conference schedule means they need to go at least .500 in the conference if they want a chance at the tourney.  That means they need to sweep Nebraska.

As much as it pains me I think this happens dimes.  Please talk me out of that thought.

As much as it pains me I think this happens dimes.  Please talk me out of that thought.

Unlike the last two years, this is an uptempo team that actually plays defense.

They're essentially as bad at 3pt shooting and overall not a great shooting team.

Given they have one of the best assist to FGA ratios in the country, they're one of the best passing teams in the nation.

They generate a lot of scoring via

• Free Throws
  • Fast Breaks
  • Second chance points via offensive rebound

We're quite good at limiting fast break points.

We're so-so about fouling the other team.

We give up a lot of offensive rebounds.

Iowa doesn't have a main guy or so when it comes to rebounding...almost everyone on the team rebounds.

They can play 10 deep and along with Indiana and Illinois are one of the fastest paced teams in the B1G whereas the majority of the teams like ourselves are a bit slower paced.  Much like their rebounding, their scoring is also spread out.

The most disturbing stat?  Iowa's only three wins in the conference have come against the 3 of the 4 teams with the lowest adjusted tempo in the conference.  (Northwestern, Penn St, Wisconsin).  The other team they haven't played yet: Nebraska.

The winner of these games will be whichever team can will their style on the other team.  We can certainly sweep Iowa but their ability to get to the line and rebounding edge make them the favorites in both games. While they won away last year and we won away last year, we'd better win that home game if we don't want to be swept.  That last game of the year very well might be for the NCAA tourney for them and pride for us.

BTW, this is a very young team.  

They bring back everyone who matters next year.

FWIW they also sucked McCaffrey's first year while installing his system/getting better players.