Michigan St. vs. Nebraska Game Thread

Bugeaters1

32 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Any team that doesn’t press this team is making a mistake.  Silly turnovers.

I wish the coaches would scheme up something different to get it out of the backcourt.  Not only causes turnovers but it takes up time for offensive execution.  Or else show the players how to execute that better.  But I'm glad for how we played overall to create a big lead and give us a cushion. 

Good win.  Glad to see Maddie play better.  Cain continues to shake off the early season slump.   Start of the 4th was the classic case of everyone trying to get theres with a big lead.  I would have called a time out sooner to admonish them to knock off the selfish stuff.  But we played thru it finally, and sealed a nice victory.  

Edited by HB

A nice team win today despite the turnovers and a coach who does not know when to call time out.  Meanwhile, 3 pages of comments on the game with 19 by Bugeaters1; 8 by Cazzie22; 8 by RedStee; and 18 by Red Don!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Why don't the 4 of you have your own message board for just the 4 of you so serious Husker fans do not have to put up with your many nonsensical posts!!!

9 minutes ago, HUD said:

Brown barring injury will continue to start.  She had a lot better +/_ rating today and stats as well.  She is a more complete player, tougher and works harder then Taylor at least in my mind.

Would agree, Brown is a much harder player to guard. she can take it to the hole, has a pull up jumper. and can hit from beyond the arc.

12 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Would agree, Brown is a much harder player to guard. she can take it to the hole, has a pull up jumper. and can hit from beyond the arc.

It was apparent today that Brown starting has a big impact on the game. In fact she should have played a lot more...sat a lot.  She's easily our most effective offensive player.  Gave MSU big frowns all over their coaches face.

Our shooting stats were the best can remember. 50% overall and 50% threes, 90% free throws.  That will win lots of games...lots of games.

Maybe we looked the most versatile offensively of all year

Won the assists stat 20-8.... which watching the game...seemed to be one of MSU big problems...don't share the ball and make assists. 

And...for the second recent game, our starters were very effective controlling the game...the bench again was a super supporting cast. Winning combination. 

Down side...rebounds, and turnovers. 

Overall....will take that kind of performance any day of the week. ?

Edited by redsteve

I'm sorry but I don't understand Coach William's use of Brown.  She is finally starting and that's good. She hits two 3's and has a great assist and at the 6 minute mark of the first quarter she pulls her out. I know she can't be tired already.  What I do know is that when you have a player that's feeling it, you don't take them out for the rest of the quarter.  Good grief, she didn't even get 19 minutes for the entire game. Also she had more rebounds than anyone else who had a lot more playing minutes.  She is one of the few players that can actually create a decent shot or get fouled doing it.  I'm not saying it will happen but it wouldn't surprise me if Brown decided to transfer next year to get more playing time.  With having basically every back next year she may decide that she doesn't want to go through another year like this with her limited playing time.

Speaking of playing time, I'm not sure why Mershon gets as many minutes as she does considering she gives you basically nothing on the offensive end.  I would also prefer her not taking 3 point shots. I'm surprised Coach gives her the green light.  Her stat line is pretty weak every game.  Some people will say her defense is her strong suit but I'm not sure it's worth the loss of her offense.

It's great to get the win and thank god the other team made as many dumb turnovers as we did and didn't shoot well.

6 hours ago, longtimefan said:

I'm sorry but I don't understand Coach William's use of Brown.  She is finally starting and that's good. She hits two 3's and has a great assist and at the 6 minute mark of the first quarter she pulls her out. I know she can't be tired already.  What I do know is that when you have a player that's feeling it, you don't take them out for the rest of the quarter.  Good grief, she didn't even get 19 minutes for the entire game. Also she had more rebounds than anyone else who had a lot more playing minutes.  She is one of the few players that can actually create a decent shot or get fouled doing it.  I'm not saying it will happen but it wouldn't surprise me if Brown decided to transfer next year to get more playing time.  With having basically every back next year she may decide that she doesn't want to go through another year like this with her limited playing time.

Speaking of playing time, I'm not sure why Mershon gets as many minutes as she does considering she gives you basically nothing on the offensive end.  I would also prefer her not taking 3 point shots. I'm surprised Coach gives her the green light.  Her stat line is pretty weak every game.  Some people will say her defense is her strong suit but I'm not sure it's worth the loss of her offense.

It's great to get the win and thank god the other team made as many dumb turnovers as we did and didn't shoot well.

To answer your whole rant, defense.  Mershon plays great defense, Brown not so well.

7 hours ago, longtimefan said:

She actually doesn't get that many minutes.   She played 16 minutes yesterday, which is about her average.   I noticed that in a few of the games she has started, she ends up with only 12 minutes.    So why does she start?  I'm sure coach has her reasons, but as the posters above suggest, I'm pretty sure defense and consistency have a lot to do with it.