uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 26 - Northwestern

uneblinstu

8 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

“I mean (Isaiah Roby) took 19 shots to get 19 points. He made shots and he played well. He’s 7 for 19, if you play against a good player and your point to shot ratio is 1-to-1, I feel like you’ve done a pretty good job to hold him for 7-for-19.

Roby had such a dominant night I didn't realize how many shots he missed

A couple observations through the use of photos:

It is easy to question Isaiah's hands or handles given his propensity to dribble into a turnover (at times).  This photo is sort of cool from one perspective.  His hand on this basketball is comparable to my hand on a softball...okay, a volleyball>>>

5c68d4d5cb2bc.image.jpg?resize=750%2C616

I am not sure what the issue is, but it is never good to have your thumb on your shooting hand taped up.  Your grip on the ball could be compromised and depending on the injury, your shot release could be compromised.  Makes me kind of go hmmm.

5c68e455014cf.image.jpg?resize=750%2C109

image.png

image.png

Edited by Huskerpapa

I was at the arena, and I have not watched the replay of the game yet, so I have a question.  Tanner was called for a flagrant 1 foul.  The replay at the stadium appears to have shown that Tanner hooked the arm of Parson.  Is that the reason he received the call, or was there something I missed?  Thanks.

Ahemmmm, I guess diving directly on top of a player who has possession of the ball does not only qualify as a flagrant, or as a foul whatsoever.

Edited by Huskerpapa

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I was at the arena, and I have not watched the replay of the game yet, so I have a question.  Tanner was called for a flagrant 1 foul.  The replay at the stadium appears to have shown that Tanner hooked the arm of Parson.  Is that the reason he received the call, or was there something I missed?  Thanks.

Ahemmmm, I guess diving directly on top of a player who has possession of the ball does not only qualify as a flagrant, or as a foul whatsoever.

First one, yep. Silly call, in my book; that wasn't a "hold" of the hook & hold rule.

Second, of course that should've been a foul. Vic Law had already gotten away with a chicken wing hook on offense yet the D was called for the foul (on the immediate prior play), then the bogus tie-up was whistled.

That was a B1G joke, the second one.

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

My understanding is a "hook and hold" is deemed a flagrant.  

42 minutes ago, HB said:

It was close, so I didn't go nuts on that one.  I did sorta go nuts when Law jumped on Thor and rolled around on him and they called a tie up.  

And not sure how they got a tie up out of that? Law didn't get possession of the ball until the whistle had blown.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

This understates how good this conference is. The difference between NW and Mich/Mich St is nowhere near as large as a team like Wake Forest or West Virginia and the top teams in their leagues.

I can maybe go along with the Wake Forest comparison but West Virginia I cant quite get on board with. They beat KU. Wake Forest would never come close to even being in a game like that.

And the Big Ten is obviously not what everyone made it up to be in the non-con. I think college basketball in general has very similar parity and there are no real elite teams outside of maybe Duke, Virginia, and Gonzaga. Even Tennessee and Kentucky seem like good but not great teams.

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

A-freakin-men.

Can you people acknowledge it might take a game or two to figure out how to win without Copeland?

How we managed to win two games without him is an amazing thing to me. And some of you act like, if we had a good coach, we'd be undefeated or something. Unbelievable.

How ironic if losing Cope for the season proved to be the 'catalyst' that got Roby going. :Drool:

31 minutes ago, Red Don said:

How ironic if losing Cope for the season proved to be the 'catalyst' that got Roby going. :Drool:

Yeah, I mentioned at the time of Cope's injury that Roby needed to be the one dude on the team to catapult NU back to "good basketball" and Isaiah did that last night.

Palmer's thumb being bandaged isn't a great sign for his shooting prowess, as evidenced by his 3 of 17, with all 3 made shots being layups!

5 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, I mentioned at the time of Cope's injury that Roby needed to be the one dude on the team to catapult NU back to "good basketball" and Isaiah did that last night.

Palmer's thumb being bandaged isn't a great sign for his shooting prowess, as evidenced by his 3 of 17, with all 3 made shots being layups!

Think it's something the coach might have added to keep him from shooting so many treys?   (like 'blinders' i.e. 'get thee to the rim, man!  :cool:)

Just now, Red Don said:

Think it's something the coach might have added to keep him from shooting so many treys?   (like 'blinders' i.e. 'get thee to the rim, man!  :cool:)

Yeah, I wish it were the case; fortunately (or would that be unfortunately?), it does explain JPJ's horrendous 37% shooting this season. ((gulp))

6 hours ago, SkerBall said:

I can maybe go along with the Wake Forest comparison but West Virginia I cant quite get on board with. They beat KU. Wake Forest would never come close to even being in a game like that.

And the Big Ten is obviously not what everyone made it up to be in the non-con. I think college basketball in general has very similar parity and there are no real elite teams outside of maybe Duke, Virginia, and Gonzaga. Even Tennessee and Kentucky seem like good but not great teams.

Please explain.

6 hours ago, SkerBall said:

If true, then we should have made the dance last year...

1 hour ago, Ron Mexico said:

Please explain.

Well the Big Ten went from getting 10 teams into the dance when conference play started to probably realistically getting 7 in. Teams like Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Ohio State are not what they were perceived to be earlier on in the year.

7 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

Well the Big Ten went from getting 10 teams into the dance when conference play started to probably realistically getting 7 in. Teams like Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Ohio State are not what they were perceived to be earlier on in the year.

Disagree.  Just because the Big 10 beats each other up doesn’t mean that we aren’t good.  8 teams minimum with 9 possible.

52 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Disagree.  Just because the Big 10 beats each other up doesn’t mean that we aren’t good.  8 teams minimum with 9 possible.

Right now, Bart Torvik has 8 Big 10 teams in, and NU is the first team out. Win at PSU, and take care of our home games, I think we get one of the last four byes.

Offensively its been like trying to start my car during that polar vortex.

Just kinda slushy and not doing much trying and not turning over

But

As it warmed up outside

ie palmer learning to trust his teammates and not forcing so much
along with some1 actually shooting now it appears

My car after a couple days in that vortex
Actually started
I always knew it was a good car and ran fine just had some record lows
Its not over till its over
I'm almost willing to bet
If I did anyway
that