Northwestern (12-12) vs. Nebraska (14-11) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Dare I say there was actually quite a few offensive sets/plays ran tonight compared to most nights. Helps that we are force feeding roby in the post at times. I will never understand our use of the bench however especially since they all gave good minutes in the first half 

Agreed on all accounts.

9 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Dare I say there was actually quite a few offensive sets/plays ran tonight compared to most nights. Helps that we are force feeding roby in the post at times. I will never understand our use of the bench however especially since they all gave good minutes in the first half 

I think a lot of it was the weave action that we ran some of, which gives the appearance that it is a set or a play at least, as there is some action at least.  We need to run even more of it IMO.  It gives James and others a chance to find an angle to attack.  

19 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I think a lot of it was the weave action that we ran some of, which gives the appearance that it is a set or a play at least, as there is some action at least.  We need to run even more of it IMO.  It gives James and others a chance to find an angle to attack.  

I hate the weave action for what it’s worth. Would much rather see the down screens for Allen or pick and pops w roby but it’s really about mixing it up and keeping the defense on its toes. We finally got some run outs and transition baskets last night for the first time in what seems like a months worth of games.  We need to somehow manufacture about 8 more points a game. 60-62 points isn’t going to get the wins we need but 68-70 sure has a chance to w the way we are playing defense

37 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I hate the weave action for what it’s worth. Would much rather see the down screens for Allen or pick and pops w roby but it’s really about mixing it up and keeping the defense on its toes. We finally got some run outs and transition baskets last night for the first time in what seems like a months worth of games.  We need to somehow manufacture about 8 more points a game. 60-62 points isn’t going to get the wins we need but 68-70 sure has a chance to w the way we are playing defense

Actually... I like both... in the same possession.  Start with the weave which gives us opportunity to get a few drives and open threes at the top of the key.  Then move into the down screen and pick and pop with about 12 seconds left to give us what’s usually an open three.

I am a proponent of what works and for me the weave action has worked better than anything else I have seen of late.   What you describe is more of a play, not an offense.  You can easily work that in, and should.  

We miss so many open looks where the ball is in, and then out.  The offense and ultimate score will be in the high 60's or low 70's by simply making some of those bunnies and/or open looks.  I may have my issues with some of our offense/spacing/standing around at times, but the bottom line is more often than not, we are getting open looks and we end up shooting 35% of our shots.  Yet the other night against Minnesota we shot 50% and just scored 62; so heck, I don't know.

40 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

We miss so many open looks where the ball is in, and then out.  The offense and ultimate score will be in the high 60's or low 70's by simply making some of those bunnies and/or open looks.  I may have my issues with some of our offense/spacing/standing around at times, but the bottom line is more often than not, we are getting open looks and we end up shooting 35% of our shots.  Yet the other night against Minnesota we shot 50% and just scored 62; so heck, I don't know.

Nebraska only took 48 shots against Minnesota to make 24. Last night Nebraska took 64 shots yet only made 21. Making shots makes a team look a whole lot better. And getting more shots helps a team to have "opportunities" to score more. Nebraska's just not in a real flow offensively. Not having Cope threw a huge wrench in Miles' plans in 2019. Hopefully JPJ can become efficient in the next outing, he had a stinker the last time NU played at PSU...

16 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I hope someone gets that Northwestern player that took the Roby block off the head some Tylenol!  

Holy cow, what a game for Roby.  He is good when he is uber aggressive, now can he bring it on consecutive nights!

You Mean This!   :Lol: