Brackets

unl

Sports Illustrated has us as the last team in, as of today. If I was a fan of any other team, I would be somewhat offended a team sitting at 4-10 in their conf was an at large. 

It will all even out in the end, I think we need at the very least 4 wins to close out the season to stay in the at large hunt, and if we do that, then we will have beaten a couple damn good teams. 

Most brackets either have us in or listed as "first 4 out".  At this point, we don't need any more quality wins (although it would help) but we just need more wins on our resume.  We have 6 games left.  If we can go 4-2 in that stretch, I think it might be enough to get in.  if we go 3-3, we'd need to win a few games in Big 10 tournament.  If we go 2-4, we need to win the Big 10 tournament to get in.

46 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Sports Illustrated has us as the last team in, as of today. If I was a fan of any other team, I would be somewhat offended a team sitting at 4-10 in their conf was an at large. 

It will all even out in the end, I think we need at the very least 4 wins to close out the season to stay in the at large hunt, and if we do that, then we will have beaten a couple damn good teams. 

All I know is if it were any other team but ours we'd all be howling that such a thing were even possible. 

It tells you how good our non-conference run was that we had that much extra wood to burn for the fire. But if we got in today, it would be a profound injustice. Because that's what I would think if it were any other team. 

31 minutes ago, tcp said:

All I know is if it were any other team but ours we'd all be howling that such a thing were even possible. 

It tells you how good our non-conference run was that we had that much extra wood to burn for the fire. But if we got in today, it would be a profound injustice. Because that's what I would think if it were any other team. 

Why should we care what others think? Serious question. What does it matter if other teams are mad that we got in and they didn't?

30 minutes ago, tcp said:

Like I said in another thread, it's the NET ranking that's keeping us on the brink. They're going to have to adjust something in the algorithm next year, because it puts way too much weight on win differential no matter who the team is you beat. If that didn't exist, we'd be pretty much done already with our awful RPI and non-con SOS.

Our current #38 NET ranking isn't all margin of victory.

We're on track to play 23-25 Quad 1 and 2 games before the B1G tourney - that's a crazy high number. Only Kansas, N Carolina, Vanderbilt and Kentucky had played 24+ Q1/Q2 games last year on Selection Sunday (after their conference tournaments).  Only 9 teams total had played 23+ Q1/Q2 games last year by Selection Sunday. 3 of the 9 didn't make the tournament.

Our schedule has been/will finish among the toughest in the country based on the criteria the committee emphasized last year. That doesn't get us in and we certainly don't deserve to be in the way we've been playing, but it's why we're still in the conversation and still have a shot in the final month.

4 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Why should we care what others think? Serious question. What does it matter if other teams are mad that we got in and they didn't?

It doesn't in the sense that you're intending. It's hypocritical to have one standard for your team, another for everyone else. I can't make it simpler than this. Now if hypocrisy doesn't bother you--and you'd be in huge company here--then no big deal. But if it does...

Edited by tcp