Jackwagon

Dean Smith

What I don’t agree with was the way Pitino was able to act after the call on Palmer before the game was over.  He was well onto the court and some of those words were.... not nice.

I realize that it was a bad call and ole Kelly probably knew it.  But that still doesn’t give Pitino an excuse to act like that.

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

What I don’t agree with was the way Pitino was able to act after the call on Palmer before the game was over.  He was well onto the court and some of those words were.... not nice.

I realize that it was a bad call and ole Kelly probably knew it.  But that still doesn’t give Pitino an excuse to act like that.

Let's just say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree in that family!  

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

You’re right there.  It wasn’t as bad as some are making it out to be.  I shouldn’t have said “bad” call as much as it is a call that normally isn’t made.

That is also true. I love that it was Coffey would got called for it. Dude was talkin' mad smack all night. Guess that night against NU (in Dec. in MN) got to his rather bulbous head.

It is always sort of funny to me (and I do it as well) that people will focus on "one call" that turned the game.  Heck, there were a number of no-calls and questionable calls last night, and honestly every night.  There were two straight "calls" last night where the timing created the Minnesota angst.  The first was the Murphy charge.  Of course that was a charge.  No question, but the problem was that Murphy could have been called ten times last night for various other violations on his moves to the basket, and accomplished those moves without a whistle.  Then with the game on the line...the whistle blows in our favor.  There were a number of times when arms or bodies were hit on shots last night.  But with the game on the line, the whistle blows and we get a chance to win the game at the line with 1.1 seconds left on the clock...yup, I assumed the Goophers would be hot under the collar.  

Last night, Minnesota had (I haven't went back to verify) eight foul shots.  Heck, Murphy usually seems to get to the line eight times a half on his own.  So that likely pi**ed off mini-p as well.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

It is always sort of funny to me (and I do it as well) that people will focus on "one call" that turned the game.  Heck, there were a number of no-calls and questionable calls last night, and honestly every night.  There were two straight "calls" last night where the timing created the Minnesota angst.  The first was the Murphy charge.  Of course that was a charge.  No question, but the problem was that Murphy could have been called ten times last night for various other violations on his moves to the basket, and accomplished those moves without a whistle.  Then with the game on the line...the whistle blows in our favor.  There were a number of times when arms or bodies were hit on shots last night.  But with the game on the line, the whistle blows and we get a chance to win the game at the line with 1.1 seconds left on the clock...yup, I assumed the Goophers would be hot under the collar.  

Last night, Minnesota had (I haven't went back to verify) eight foul shots.  Heck, Murphy usually seems to get to the line eight times a half on his own.  So that likely pi**ed off mini-p as well.

Yep, Murphy cleared out (his normal operating procedure) Roby on their go ahead basket.  No call.  He's strong, but he's not that tall.  There's no way he can get the operating space he gets against taller defenders as often as he does without the arm or shoulder clear out.

I was really surprised they called the charge on him the next time down.  Nebraska hardly ever gets those to go their way.

So we got a couple of "homer" calls for a change. Finally "Nemesis",the goddess who is supposed to even luck out, did her job for a change. When the second-leading scorer in the league draws contact, falls, and shoots an airball on the game's final play, something has to be called. As Andy Katz pointed out on the BTN follow up show in response to Robby, the Purdue guy, who gave the pat reasoning that referees are supposed to " let the players decide the game", the ref was standing 2 feet away when he made the call. No one else, including the cameraman, was closer. If calls must not be made during the last minute of close games, then the referees should be allowed to leave early and start their showers. I don't blame Pitino, but , hey, you know what they say about Karma.

Edited by jimmykc

Here's my thing with that last call.  It wasn't just so completely egregious that I feel Minny got robbed.  It was a bang/bang play.  There was contact.  Yes, Palmer jumped forward a bit.  Yes, the Minny players arms came down and were not straight up.  It could have been a foul and could have been a no call.  At any other point in the game... if that call is made... no one has any qualms about it on either team.

53 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Here's my thing with that last call.  It wasn't just so completely egregious that I feel Minny got robbed.  It was a bang/bang play.  There was contact.  Yes, Palmer jumped forward a bit.  Yes, the Minny players arms came down and were not straight up.  It could have been a foul and could have been a no call.  At any other point in the game... if that call is made... no one has any qualms about it on either team.

...and we (Tanner) twice got called for fouls while standing straight up, but those are easily forgettable as they happened early in the game.