uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 25 - vs. Minnesota

uneblinstu

11 minutes ago, tcp said:

What was great about Palmer's 24 was that it was an efficient 24. It wasn't a volume result, like many of his are. He played a really good offensive game. 

I saw the last 6 minutes. I was shocked and giddy to see he had 21 on 10 shot attempts when i tuned in. I thought it was a typo. Efficient types of performance we are going to need from multiple players going forward. Team EFG is vitally important. 

2 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i just don't feel like this team can score enough points to realistically make a run. hope i'm wrong. the next 2 are very winnable. 16-11 with 4 ranked games to finish the season would at least provide some excitement.

You don’t have to score a ton of points to win. You have to be efficient. If we play a 65

possession (130 total) game and score 65 we will win.  PPG  is rubbish.  

Quality decisions and quality shots will suffice as long as we don’t shoot awful % like some of the guys have done recently.  Even from the FT line.  Get out of our own  heads. 

18 minutes ago, tcp said:

What was great about Palmer's 24 was that it was an efficient 24. It wasn't a volume result, like many of his are. He played a really good offensive game. 

Yep, I praised his overall play today. JPJ was 7-10 from the field and 8-10 from the line. Best game since Creighton. And, it was the first time NU was 50% from the field since the Creighton game, as well. Making shots sure feels awful good, both for players and for the fans, too. GBR !!!

I wasn't able to see a lot of the game but when I was watching early I thought "man, we don't want to be out here tonight." We kept fighting -- wasn't pretty but we will all take it. I know it's been a long stretch, but man someone needs to tell Watson's face we actually won. Those last two calls were very iffy ... if I'm being honest the last foul (not considering anything else that happened throughout the game) is a no call. I'm also a huge believer charge is called far too often in hoops and makes for uglier basketball, but I am glad Roby got that call. We are TECHNICALLY alive, but I just don't know if there are enough wins out there for us. Hopefully we can make a case for ourselves down the stretch and see just how important that NET rating truly is to the committee.

6 hours ago, tcp said:

Hes actually been better about this since the losing streak started.  Especially early in games. Howeve, then we either aren’t making shots that he passes or we’re down so far that he has to volume shoot.

-Stull for Minny isn't very good. He had no chance guarding Palmer and Watson. Wished he would've played more.

-Watson guarding Coffey was effective. Not sure why Slick Rick jr. didn't have him post Glynn up.

-Murphy may be considered a beast but he has great touch around the basket for such a physical player.

-Charge on Murphy was on other end of court so didn't get good look. Appeared to be good call. Not sure why Slick Rick jr. had him drive?

-Last call was definitely questionable. However, did see a still photo that showed Coffey brought his arms down about 45 degrees. And how many times have we seen Borchardt and Roby get called for that very thing. 

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The BTN guys thought they blew that last call though they didn't mention all the other ones.

Boy it feels good to win again.

Matt the funny thing is at one point in the post game chit chat they said it was a tough call but mentioned then play where Watson got tackled on the in bound pass as a no call so that the game wasn't decided on one call.  Later you're right, Hummel and the other guy were saying it was a bad call.  Did the Big 10 office call and tell them they were saying the wrong thing?

Whew...nice win, a much needed win!

A few things that jumped out at me:

- Murphy is a very good college player.  But man, does he get away with a lot sh**.  So when something does go against him, I can understand his/their angst.  

- Defensively I thought our bigs did okay, but man, statistically, it appears their bigs blew us away...

- James played well last night.  I was a bit concerned at the start of the second half with his "ole" defense, but after a few minutes, he tightened up his "d" as well.

- Good minutes from the bench last night.  I thought, offensively, Brady again showed glimpses of positivity.

- Amir's length was once again a weapon on defense.

- We shot 50% from the floor yet scored only 62 points.  That my friends is taking some air out of the ball.  Like it or not, that is how we have to play right now.

- I am very happy for Glynn.  One negative...stop being a drama queen.  Not trying to be overly critical, but that turnover on the inbound pass towards the end of the game CAN NEVER happen.

- Tanner is likely bruised and battered today.  I cannot believe his empty stat line given the work he put in last night.  I am sure he doesn't mind.

- Isaiah, Isaiah, Isaiah...trust your shot my man.  Dribbling into turnovers after giving up an open look has got to stop.  That said, he gave one heck of an effort on the defensive end trying to contain Murphy one-on-one. 

- Player of the game in my mind was Tom.  Heck of an effort last night.  I only wish he would have gotten a few more shots.  

Again, this was a much needed win, and such a relief to get it.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Just really happy for the players. Hopefully they can play a little looser now. A big win Saturday would at least make those final 4 games intriguing. I don't think they have enough offense without Cope, but they'd still be in the conversation with a win vs NW.

I thought the last call was a good one - as rr52 said, he had his arms at an angle, inside Palmer's "cylinder" - Coffey threw his arms up and flew backward when he felt the contact, tried to sell Palmer jumping into him, but I thought it was a foul because of his arm angle when Palmer started his shot. Palmer did come forward just a bit, but Coffey's arms were in his cylinder, so Palmer's vertical plane shouldn't matter.

“Really, really, really, really disappointed in the way that game ended,” a frustrated Pitino said postgame, scanning the press room for questions he was ready to combat. “That one stings the most of any of the games I’ve been a part of. Because we deserved to win the game.

Uhhhh, you just let a team that has not been able to make 1/3 of its FGs the last month make 1/2 of its FGs against you. You didn't deserve to win. If you deserved to win, it wouldn't have come down to a last shot/referee call.

This quote, among many other reasons, is why he'll always be Mr. Jackwagon.

8 hours ago, The Bouncer said:

It was great to see Palmer step up and hit 2 free throws when we NEEDED them tonight. Clutch level was shades of Toney McCray vs. USC in 2011.

Nice 1st post. Good content. Great profile pic: Andre Almeida. And pretty great screen name, "The Bouncer." All in all, a 'win.' GBR !!!

Happy for the team, and the coaches, to get a win and get the monkey of their back...

despite their nearly flawless impression of 6th grade girls basketball the final 3 minutes of the game.  Just brutal offensive execution when trying to hold a slim lead late.

Edited by NUtball

Obviously we need to just focus turning one win into two. But i cant help but look ahead. As a Tim Miles supporter, I am holding on by a thread. I mentioned elsewhere that this game was gonna make or break my decision on Miles. If we lost, he needs to go no doubt about it in my mind. But we won. So im still hanging in there.

What do we think needs to be done (realistically) for Timmy to save his job?

Im gonna say win the next two for sure, split Iowa/Purdue and pull out a game in Chicago. Thats gonna put us at 18-15 (7-13)... is that enough?

Thats the best case, realistic scenario I can see. Maybe we sweep the home games and that bumps us to 19-14 (8-12). Thats a BIG MAYBE.

But nonetheless, there is hope. GBR!

30 minutes ago, khoock said:

As a Tim Miles supporter, I am holding on by a thread. I mentioned elsewhere that this game was gonna make or break my decision on Miles. If we lost, he needs to go no doubt about it in my mind. But we won. So im still hanging in there.

I'm curious on your thoughts. Why would this last game sway your decision to keep or get rid of the coach? Shouldn't a seven year resume kind of give you an idea of whether to keep or get rid of him?

I'm not saying you're right or wrong; my position has been that you either think he's your long term solution or he needs to go. I just figured most people would have that decision made up one way or another by now.

12 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm curious on your thoughts. Why would this last game sway your decision to keep or get rid of the coach? Shouldn't a seven year resume kind of give you an idea of whether to keep or get rid of him?

I'm not saying you're right or wrong; my position has been that you either think he's your long term solution or he needs to go. I just figured most people would have that decision made up one way or another by now.

I might not have explained it the best. If we would have lost I would have been all in on a new coach bc all of my hope for this season would have been lost. Us winning doesnt make me say offer him an extension right now. But it keeps my hope alive that we can turn this season around. Theres a small chance we squeak out 18-19 wins and are on the bubble (wrong or right side idk). I am Miles fan so i have been slow to give up on him and the Minny win lets me believe that we can make something happen, atleast for another game.