What if...

khoock

19 hours ago, khoock said:

Now just bare with me, because this is an extrememly unlikely scenario I am about to throw at all of you but....

WHAT IF Nebraska finishes with 14 to 16 regular season wins (Ex: 15-16 overall) and somehow miraculously goes on a run and wins the BTT to go dancing? Do we keep Miles because he made the NCAAs (which is the ultimate goal)? Or do we base it off of his overall body of work (7 seasons) and specifically how much of a let down the "Most Talented Nebrasketball Team Ever Assembled" had been?

Just an extremely out there scenario a couple of buddies and I were talking about this weekend.

Miles will not be retained regards of how the season finishes.  AD is looking for consistency in the program and it has been anything but that the past 7 years.  So even if we get hot down the stretch and still make The Dance, we will have a new coach next year.  Miles overall resume after 7 years doesn't warrant him getting an 8th season.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, khoock said:

Now just bare with me, because this is an extrememly unlikely scenario I am about to throw at all of you but....

WHAT IF Nebraska finishes with 14 to 16 regular season wins (Ex: 15-16 overall) and somehow miraculously goes on a run and wins the BTT to go dancing? Do we keep Miles because he made the NCAAs (which is the ultimate goal)? Or do we base it off of his overall body of work (7 seasons) and specifically how much of a let down the "Most Talented Nebrasketball Team Ever Assembled" had been?

Just an extremely out there scenario a couple of buddies and I were talking about this weekend.

Maybe someone has mentioned it but I didn’t see it. Somehow our NET rank is still 40. There is something seriously wrong with that statistic and I assume the selection committee is smart enough to figure that out. But an RPI of 40 for a power 5 has basically been an automatic bid for almost at least the last decade. Just throwing that out there. 

1 hour ago, cjbowbros said:

Maybe someone has mentioned it but I didn’t see it. Somehow our NET rank is still 40. There is something seriously wrong with that statistic and I assume the selection committee is smart enough to figure that out. But an RPI of 40 for a power 5 has basically been an automatic bid for almost at least the last decade. Just throwing that out there. 

Oklahoma finished the season 2-8 and had a losing conference record but had an RPI of 23.

4 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Oklahoma finished the season 2-8 and had a losing conference record but had an RPI of 23.

Oklahoma last year is the obvious comparison if we were to go on a run. 

Oklahoma last year was 8-10 in conf and 6-10 against quad 1.

Nebraska this year is......3-10 in conf and 2-8 against quad 1.

We have a lot of work to do to even get into 2018 Oklahoma territory. 

2 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

because schedule strength is still rearing it's ugly head. we're technically not losing to bad teams, even though we're losing constantly. this really is almost the same as the rpi situation. but remember, last year, there was no precedent for leaving a top 4 program in teh B1G ten with a winning record out of the tourney, either. And we barely made the NIT. 

So these rankings aren't the be all end all. And we till have games left, and barring a miracle, we have a bit more room to drop still.  But if Nebraka does get in with, like, a 14 game losing streak because some list said so? Then I'd have no problem with the peasants kicking in  the doors of the NCAA and demanding a new system. I don't want my school to be remembered as "can you believe that let that Nebraska team in?"  

Edited by tcp

2 minutes ago, tcp said:

But if Nebraka does get in with, like, a 14 game losing streak because some list said so? Then I'd have no problem with the peasants kicking in  the doors of the NCAA and demanding a new system. I don't want my school to be remembered as "can you believe that let that Nebraska team in?"

And yet we'd still buy tickets to go to the first round :D

If that ever did happen, then hopefully we'd be the "can you believe that they let that Nebraska team in...and they actually won a game?"

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

And yet we'd still buy tickets to go to the first round :D

If that ever did happen, then hopefully we'd be the "can you believe that they let that Nebraska team in...and they actually won a game?"

I was trying to be all cool by not appearing hugely desperate for a tourney appearance and win. But yeah, I'd be watching, too...:)