What if...

khoock

Now just bare with me, because this is an extrememly unlikely scenario I am about to throw at all of you but....

WHAT IF Nebraska finishes with 14 to 16 regular season wins (Ex: 15-16 overall) and somehow miraculously goes on a run and wins the BTT to go dancing? Do we keep Miles because he made the NCAAs (which is the ultimate goal)? Or do we base it off of his overall body of work (7 seasons) and specifically how much of a let down the "Most Talented Nebrasketball Team Ever Assembled" had been?

Just an extremely out there scenario a couple of buddies and I were talking about this weekend.

17 minutes ago, khoock said:

Now just bare with me, because this is an extrememly unlikely scenario I am about to throw at all of you but....

WHAT IF Nebraska finishes with 14 to 16 regular season wins (Ex: 15-16 overall) and somehow miraculously goes on a run and wins the BTT to go dancing? Do we keep Miles because he made the NCAAs (which is the ultimate goal)? Or do we base it off of his overall body of work (7 seasons) and specifically how much of a let down the "Most Talented Nebrasketball Team Ever Assembled" had been?

Just an extremely out there scenario a couple of buddies and I were talking about this weekend.

As long as we're fantasizing:   Do we then win a game in the Dance?    That might just be important in giving a fantasy answer.......

2 minutes ago, HB said:

As long as we're fantasizing:   Do we then win a game in the Dance?    That might just be important in giving a fantasy answer.......

Of course we win a game.  Kate Upton also divorces Justin Verlander and she is sitting next to you while you watch.  Duh....How can you not see this playing out this way?

21 minutes ago, khoock said:

Honestly think it's more likely that we win 4 more in the regular season, 2-3 in the BTT and go dancing.  

Either way, my goal was a to make the dance.  An overall body of work would show that Miles has been able to do that twice in 7 years.  The question would then become... is that enough for you?

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Honestly think it's more likely that we win 4 more in the regular season, 2-3 in the BTT and go dancing.  

Much more likely scenario.

But the point of my scenario was to create a season where we had what would unanimously be considered an under achieving season but somehow, by the grace of the basketball Gods, we still achieved the ultimate goal.

What do we value more, the process or result?

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Much more likely scenario.

But the point of my scenario was to create a season where we had what would unanimously be considered an under achieving season but somehow, by the grace of the basketball Gods, we still achieved the ultimate goal.

What do we value more, the process or result?

Wish you asked the last question the first time around. In any event, I think they're largely inseparable, which is why I detest the corporate lingo of "process". And it's the problem with your scenario and why it's unrealistic. If your "process" is deeply flawed, your results are going to be flawed by definition. The inverse is equally true. The whole point of even using the term is to say, "if we do x it will usually lead us to y". You should rarely, if ever, be in a position to be choosing between the two. 

You don't just win the B1G tourney, especially this year, unless you have a good team and/or a good coach so doing what should be impossible for this team and/or this coach that isn't good enough seems like it would be enough. Losing in the bunny bracket seems more likely at this point.

5 minutes ago, tcp said:

Wish you asked the last question the first time around. In any event, I think they're largely inseparable, which is why I detest the corporate lingo of "process". And it's the problem with your scenario and why it's unrealistic. If your "process" is deeply flawed, your results are going to be flawed by definition. The inverse is equally true. The whole point of even using the term is to say, "if we do x it will usually lead us to y". You should rarely, if ever, be in a position to be choosing between the two. 

You are 100% correct, in most cases the process and results are inseparable. However, the case I presented is not like most cases. It is an anomaly that is very unlikely to happen to us or any other team that plays in an ultra competitive conference like the Big Ten. 

But we do not need to over complicate or over analyze the topic. Im simply asking, if the rest of the regular season unfolds like this (we only win a couple more games) and then the BTT goes like this (we miraculously win and go dancing), how would you feel about Tim Miles and the direction of the program?  Better or worse? The same? Etc

The beautiful thing about sports is that things seem completely impossible until someone or some team does it.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

You don't just win the B1G tourney, especially this year, unless you have a good team and/or a good coach so doing what should be impossible for this team and/or this coach that isn't good enough seems like it would be enough. Losing in the bunny bracket seems more likely at this point.

This is a good point.  Winning the Big 10 tourney this year trumps winning it last year and we all know what happened then.

So I see it as we catch lightning in a bottle again. Can a person live with every 3-4 years we go dancing by catching lightning in a bottle? The rest of the years were going to finish 9-14 in the standings. I’d be happy dancing every 3-4 years, but it would be nice to finish better than 9th most years. Get to the nit regularly, but I think most years we’ll be lucky to finish .500. 

If we dance this year keep him. That was my goal for the team. 

The only way we’re winning the btt is by shooting 60+%. Would be sweet and a person can dream. 

If we lose the next game, and I think there's a really good chance of that, this question is going to get inverted: is there a point at which you start tearing out parts to find out exactly where the system error was? This is actually a more realistic conversation anyway, since even local journalists are typing this stuff out loud. 

Do you relieve duties in season and try an assistant caretaker to see how the team does? If anything major changes? 

If so, who gets the reins? 

It' a depresing conversation, but it's a lot more interesting to me. Kidna fits here as the flipside to the OPs scenario. 

24 minutes ago, tcp said:

If we lose the next game, and I think there's a really good chance of that, this question is going to get inverted: is there a point at which you start tearing out parts to find out exactly where the system error was? This is actually a more realistic conversation anyway, since even local journalists are typing this stuff out loud. 

Do you relieve duties in season and try an assistant caretaker to see how the team does? If anything major changes? 

If so, who gets the reins? 

It' a depresing conversation, but it's a lot more interesting to me. Kidna fits here as the flipside to the OPs scenario. 

If Miles is let go before the season ends you're basically giving our current recruits and players head starts to get out of their LOIs/transfer. Assuming we're hiring a new coach we'd want to give him every opportunity to retain the guys we have. You're also sending a message to any new coach that you're willing to cut bait when the going gets tough and you're willing to do so with a coach that is well liked by the guys in the industry in this place where it's hard to win.

Let this thing play out and we'll go from there.

18 minutes ago, unl said:

People at work said sharp and benning quoted a projection that Nebraska is Firat Four Out. I mean if a seven game skid still keeps you on the discussion, it doesn’t take a huge winning streak. 

But they haven’t been able to compete. If NU wins both this week, we’ll have so many optimistic posts to read ?

I'm sure NU is still in the conversation on some brackets - losing streaks aren't part of the team sheet, so that's not something the committee will consider.

As of now, NU is still #40 in the NET and has 2 Q1 wins and 4 Q2 wins. Taken alone, that's a bubble team.

At this point, we're going to have 23-24 Q1/Q2 games before the B1G tournament. That's a crazy high number. 

So I can see why people who haven't seen us play much the past month would look at the team sheet and see we still have 5 Q1 and 2 Q2 games left, plus a conference tournament, and think there's still a chance.

Those who've actually seen what's been going on on the floor, though, would have a vastly different opinion.