Enjoy The Last Month Of The Miles Era

hhcdave

7 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

Because Tim Miles

You mean the only coach to take us to the NCAA tournament in the last 20 years?  That guy?  

You just said that some are so "blindly loyal" that they can't see what is in front of them.  Yet you turn right around and are so blind with hatred for the guy that you can't see all the good that he has done for Nebraska basketball.

15 minutes ago, SkerBall said:
42 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

There's a couple of things at play here:

1) The sentiment I hear from the majority of people on this board is "Hey, maybe it's time for a change? But we still have `20% of a season left and we're 15-11; how about we chill out and see how this plays out?"

2) Why don't you write the AD then if you're the expert in hiring coaches? Because I guarantee our past ADs didn't get their first pick, or second, or third, etc. when trying to lure a coach to come to Lincoln. Not to speak for @Norm Peterson, but I think this is where some of his caution comes into play. Who's to say Moos is starting to look at Page 2 of his list?

So this is reason to just stick with a mediocre results? Because someone before wasn't able to get it right? That's how we should go forward? 

"Well we haven't been able to get it right in the past so since there's no guarantee Moos gets it right this time let's not even try." (I'm actually hearing good things on this front.)

My eyeballs tell me Tim is an average coach. I said this a few years ago, and nothing I have seen since the 2014 disaster has shown me otherwise. He might be a likable guy. Mike Riley was really nice. But eyeballs tell you the product they are putting out is average.

We have ONE quality win over a real legit basketball team in the last two years. That's it. Otherwise we've beaten average to below average teams. This year's team was supposed to contend for a conference title. They are so far from that it's laughable. Either Miles can't coach a talented team, or they aren't as talented as everyone thought. Either way that's on Tim.

If programs like Iowa and Iowa State can be above average, making the tournament more than they are not, then we shouldn't settle for being below.

It appears reading comprehension is difficult for some people. Nobody said that you shouldn't go after a new coach because the ADs before didn't do it right.

I am saying that we're not a program that can just go out there and hire the pick of the litter. Moos has a much better read on this than I do, so there's nothing more than I can do to put my faith in his hands that he's competent enough to know whether our best option is to go after a new coach or keep the one we have. But if your solution is to just get rid of a guy just to pick up someone new, then you should probably read up more on situations in Nebraska basketball history on past candidates who have turned us down. Moos doesn't have an easy job on the basketball front.

52 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

It's actually kind of scary how similar this feels to the end of the Bo Pelini era. You have people so blindly loyal that they can't even see what's right in front of them, and that is garbage basketball. It's actually a little unfair to Bo because he was a 70% winner. Miles is 50%. I don't know how much more mediocre you can get.

And if people are fine with being mediocre I guess that's on them. As a fan myself, I'd like to watch something much more competitive.

Can't stand the people that say just because something hasn't happened in the past, it can't happen in the future. All it takes is the right hire, the right guy. You don't get that right guy unless you make the change.

Not saying that. Never did.  What I have said recently and continue to say is that you don't blow up that 2017 roster and make a coaching change then, like some people are arguing now.  And the trajectory of this season is not a justification for making a different call than what was made at the time.

There were enough reasons to think the next two years could be pretty good to leave that situation alone and not make a coaching change at the end of the '16-'17 season.  We were better positioned at that point than we'd been in three decades, and if we'd made a coaching change then, we would never have seen the team enter the AP rankings this year.

I will say to the end of time that it was worth leaving things in place to see what would happen.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Not saying that. Never did.  What I have said recently and continue to say is that you don't blow up that 2017 roster and make a coaching change then, like some people are arguing now.  And the trajectory of this season is not a justification for making a different call than what was made at the time.

There were enough reasons to think the next two years could be pretty good to leave that situation alone and not make a coaching change at the end of the '16-'17 season.  We were better positioned at that point than we'd been in three decades, and if we'd made a coaching change then, we would never have seen the team enter the AP rankings this year.

I will say to the end of time that it was worth leaving things in place to see what would happen.

But what have we accomplished since then? I get what you're saying, two years ago you had to give him a chance to see it through. Sure, but now it is clear based on what has happened that he's had his chance with the shiny new toys and couldn't produce. Time for someone else. And I believe that Bill Moos is going to get someone who can win with what we have. That's my read on the situation. 

And since we've accomplished jack squat, and were "positioned better than we had been in three decades" and still haven't accomplished anything scream that Tim Miles is not the right guy?

4 minutes ago, HoiBall said:

But what have we accomplished since then? I get what you're saying, two years ago you had to give him a chance to see it through. Sure, but now it is clear based on what has happened that he's had his chance with the shiny new toys and couldn't produce. Time for someone else. And I believe that Bill Moos is going to get someone who can win with what we have. That's my read on the situation. 

And since we've accomplished jack squat, and were "positioned better than we had been in three decades" and still haven't accomplished anything scream that Tim Miles is not the right guy?

You seem very confident that we are going to get Freddy H?  Changing the name to HoiBall and whatnot.  Just make sure not to disappear if that hire doesn't come to fruition.

2 minutes ago, SkerBall said:

I don't know but perhaps we should just let the rest of the season play out.  You're drawing grand, definitive conclusions on this season when it's still not over.  The fact of the matter is that you can guess that we will go 0-5 or 1-4 down the stretch and you may be right but we could easily go 3-2, win a game in the Big Tournament, get in the NCAA tourney and who knows, maybe win a game there and then how do your arguments look today?  The absolute definitive nature of your statements feels a little trollish to me.

7 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I don't know but perhaps we should just let the rest of the season play out.  You're drawing grand, definitive conclusions on this season when it's still not over.  The fact of the matter is that you can guess that we will go 0-5 or 1-4 down the stretch and you may be right but we could easily go 3-2, win a game in the Big Tournament, get in the NCAA tourney and who knows, maybe win a game there and then how do your arguments look today?  The absolute definitive nature of your statements feels a little trollish to me.

Sure, everyone can have their opinion. Do I want us to fail? Absolutely not. Do my eyes tell me we are failing and have further to go. That's what I see.

Just because I don't subscribe to the fandom perspective of blindly believing the best possible outcome will come to fruition doesn't make me a troll. But to each their own.

2 hours ago, HoiBall said:

It's actually kind of scary how similar this feels to the end of the Bo Pelini era. You have people so blindly loyal that they can't even see what's right in front of them, and that is garbage basketball. It's actually a little unfair to Bo because he was a 70% winner. Miles is 50%. I don't know how much more mediocre you can get.

And if people are fine with being mediocre I guess that's on them. As a fan myself, I'd like to watch something much more competitive.

Can't stand the people that say just because something hasn't happened in the past, it can't happen in the future. All it takes is the right hire, the right guy. You don't get that right guy unless you make the change.

Perhaps many of us have not explained ourselves effectively.  Am I blindly loyal!?  Yes, but I am loyal to the university, and to Husker basketball.  Coach Miles currently leads his team, and this university.  I will loyally support him and this team.  If and when Coach Miles moves on, I will then be loyal to the same university and team; it will just be led by a different individual.  You and some others seem focused on quitting on this team and this coach prior to the end of the season.  Others tend to believe that we can still be relevant despite the seven game losing streak and the absence of one of our top four players. 

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And I will agree with you,  Norm.  I just wish it had been handled better beyond the decision not to fire.   

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Perhaps many of us have not explained ourselves effectively.  Am I blindly loyal!?  Yes, but I am loyal to the university, and to Husker basketball.  Coach Miles currently leads his team, and this university.  I will loyally support him and this team.  If and when Coach Miles moves on, I will then be loyal to the same university and team; it will just be led by a different individual.  You and some others seem focused on quitting on this team and this coach prior to the end of the season.  Others tend to believe that we can still be relevant despite the seven game losing streak and the absence of one of our top four players.

You know, this post got me thinking. Fans have been labeled as "blindly loyal," but you know what... I'm appreciative that we've had coaches like Doc Sadler who was "blindly loyal" to our university as well to the very end. In an environment where coaches move around, I am very appreciative that we've had some coaches who were fully bought in to the university all the way to the very end.

Just now, HuskerFever said:

You know, this post got me thinking. Fans have been labeled as "blindly loyal," but you know what... I'm appreciative that we've had coaches like Doc Sadler who was "blindly loyal" to our university as well to the very end. In an environment where coaches move around, I am very appreciative that we've had some coaches who were fully bought in to the university all the way to the very end.

Yes. And Doc was trashed mercilessly by trolls on this very board who wanted to dance on Doc's (er Kenneth's) proverbial casket on his way out the door, because firing him wasn't enough. No, this was personal. Doc had failed to advance this program into an NCAA tournament team and for that he needed to be ridiculed, mocked, and verbally assaulted, not merely relieved of his duties and sent packing.

And for the love of all things holy, the university gave him a RAISE.  A RAISE FOR PETE'S SAKE. TO SOMETHING LESS THAN A MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR. So then his buyout was almost half of what Scott Frost gets paid in a year. How could the university possibly be expected to foot that bill? Oh, the insult to humanity that Doc Sadler got a raise to less than half of what we're paying Tim Miles for the same job.

I hope some of you people are ashamed of how you acted when Doc got fired.

And I further hope you learned something from that experience and don't repeat that assholery if and when Miles leaves.

5 hours ago, HoiBall said:

We have atleast a shot at back to back 20 wins seasons. That surely seems like something for us.

what has given you the idea that moos will get a new hire right? The home run he hit w Kent at Washington state? Or his lay up of a hire in Scott Frost?  I will say his hiring of mike leach in football at Washington state was something special. 

13 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

We have atleast a shot at back to back 20 wins seasons. That surely seems like something for us.

what has given you the idea that moos will get a new hire right? The home run he hit w Kent at Washington state? Or his lay up of a hire in Scott Frost?  I will say his hiring of mike leach in football at Washington state was something special. 

Plus, Leach had some baggage and wasn't going to get another job.  Texas Tech hiring Bob Knight would be an equal hiring.

23 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Oregon had gone to 0 NCAA tournaments before Ernie Kent was hired, and he took them to two Elite 8s. There are plenty of reasons to keep Miles in place, but one of them is not Moos incompetence.

Regardless of how one feels about whether there should be a change, Moos has made it pretty obvious what his decision-making process will be.   So it's hard to be critical of those who think or predict Miles will get fired.   I have always liked Tim and still want him to succeed here, but I'm not the AD, and I don't have to walk back what the AD has bluntly stated. 

Moos has plainly said on more than one occasion that he is looking for consistency in conference performance.  That the most important thing in his coach evaluations is how we do in conference.  And that most years we should finish in the top half.   He has been quite obvious, and about as subtle as a sledge hammer, in saying that while he was impressed with 13-5 and 4th place last year,  we need to well not just one year, but consistently.   So starting 3-10 was a big blinking neon alarm going off.   Boss set the standard.   What the expectation was.   What he was looking for.  Assuming we finish well below .500, it's pretty apparent what will happen.   

Now, if we get hot and get to the dance and win a game, he can walk it back, even if we finish in the bottom half and under .500 in league.   And he should then walk it back in my opinion.   But if we miss it by a bunch, well, it's been plainly stated what's gonna happen.  

I’m an unapologetic Miles supporter, that being said I’m also a realist when it comes to our current situation. Hopefully the next few games will make Moos decision a no-brainer but if we do have to release Tim be careful what you wish for. Hiring the “right guy” isn’t a guarantee of success and this thing could just as easily head South in a hurry...