Enjoy The Last Month Of The Miles Era

hhcdave

It is all so sad.  This was going to be our year.  It was not meant to be.  I grew up watching Nee's teams.  I never thought that Collier really fit in (That time he skipped the postgame after a big loss at Creighton was it for me).  Doc I like but he could never get it going.  I thought Tim would be the one.  We had flashes.  It all built up to this year.  It looked so promising.  But then it imploded.  It is time to move on.  No Sit Sunday reminds me of a quote from Dr. Hunter S. Thompson: "Our energy would simply PREVAIL. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave... So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in ... (PBA) ..and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high water mark — that place where the wave finally broke, and rolled back.”  No Sit Sunday was the high water mark.  It should have been the beginning of greatness instead it was all we got.  

I will be there to cheer at all the remaining games and wish them all the best, players and coaches.  Go Big Red!  Let's hope the next coach and players will show us what we can be.

1 hour ago, UnicamMan said:

I grew up watching Nee's teams.  I never thought that Collier really fit in (That time he skipped the postgame after a big loss at Creighton was it for me).  Doc I like but he could never get it going.  I thought Tim would be the one. 

I will be there to cheer at all the remaining games and wish them all the best, players and coaches.  Go Big Red!  Let's hope the next coach and players will show us what we can be.

Keep this in mind: we had zero winning conference seasons between 1999 (Nee) and 2014 (Miles). Miles repeated the feat in 2018, so he will finish his career with two winning conference seasons in seven years. Nee had four winning conference seasons in 14. Collier had zero. Sadler had zero. Let's do as you say and wish them all the best. What the team accomplished last year was under-appreciated at the time, so we shouldn't diminish it now that most of those players and the coaches will no longer be with us.

Go Big Red!

Edited by jayschool

15 minutes ago, royalfan said:

surprised that Nee only had 4 of 14 

Me, too (Correction from last post, our last winning conference season before Miles was in 1999, not 1998:

1987 — 7-7

1988 — 4-10

1989 — 3-11

1990 — 3-11

1991 — 9-5

1992 — 7-7

1993 — 8-6

1994 — 7-7

1995 — 4-10

1996 — 4-10

1997 — 7-9

1998 — 10-6

1999 — 10-6

2000 — 4-12

That's our #Nebrasketball Golden Era, folks, unless you were alive in the 1910s, of course.

To be fair, Cip had 7 winning conference seasons in 17, while Moe had 3 in 6 seasons.

Edited by jayschool

11 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Me, too (Correction from last post, our last winning conference season before Miles was in 1999, not 1998:

1987 — 7-7

1988 — 4-10

1989 — 3-11

1990 — 3-11

1991 — 9-5

1992 — 7-7

1993 — 8-6

1994 — 7-7

1995 — 4-10

1996 — 4-10

1997 — 7-9

1998 — 10-6

1999 — 10-6

2000 — 4-12

That's our #Nebrasketball Golden Era, folks, unless you were alive in the 1910s, of course.

To be fair, Cip had 7 winning conference seasons in 17, while Moe had 3 in 6 seasons.

Thanks for the stats/research. Damn, that is really depressing - I really thought Nee had more success than that.

Just now, demone said:

Thanks for the stats/research. Damn, that is really depressing - I really thought Nee had more success than that.

When Danny had a winning conference season, aside from 1999, we got a ticket to the Dance. 

That's what so annoying about last year's 13-5 season. In the Big Ten. NIT. Fifth Seed.

23 minutes ago, jayschool said:

When Danny had a winning conference season, aside from 1999, we got a ticket to the Dance. 

That's what so annoying about last year's 13-5 season. In the Big Ten. NIT. Fifth Seed.

We were a tourney team last year.  By the end of the year, the league was far better than the perception was and the ridiculous reliance on the RPI to develop the quadrants was devastating.  

6 minutes ago, royalfan said:

We were a tourney team last year.  By the end of the year, the league was far better than the perception was and the ridiculous reliance on the RPI to develop the quadrants was devastating.  

But even then a red flag emerges. We had a chance to prove the world wrong about us, and instead the blow took the life out of the team and they largely phoned in the effort in Starkville. PSU, in contrast, was determined to let the world know they were better than they were treated. So this whole "can't take a punch" thing goes back to last season with the same personnel. 

49 minutes ago, tcp said:

But even then a red flag emerges. We had a chance to prove the world wrong about us, and instead the blow took the life out of the team and they largely phoned in the effort in Starkville. PSU, in contrast, was determined to let the world know they were better than they were treated. So this whole "can't take a punch" thing goes back to last season with the same personnel. 

The NIT is basically like any non-playoff bowl game: most teams could give a sh*t. I don't put much, if any, stock in NIT outcomes. I don't think the B1G is that much greater this year. Teams should get better as the year progresses, yet the non-con basically seals your conference's fate for the year, which makes little sense. By the end of last year, our conference was as good as any IMO. We got screwed, no doubt.

9 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Probably the biggest failing not listed above is bungling the recruiting of the state of Nebraska. We aren't exactly swimming in talent here but that missing tenacity and buy-in to this program certainly was there.  Recruiting Deverell Biggs ended up being the start of a series of overcorrections that we didn't recover from until just recently.

That being said Miles made this program relevant locally and nationally again.  While the new facilities certainly helped, the guy still hasn't stop selling this program. 

Exactly, great point. We need our instate "rough and tumble" "take it for the team" kids, just like how Wisconsin has always had their "take a charge" buzzcut kids. Need a base of sold out team passion that the talented recruits and transfers can latch onto. 

5 hours ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Exactly, great point. We need our instate "rough and tumble" "take it for the team" kids, just like how Wisconsin has always had their "take a charge" buzzcut kids. Need a base of sold out team passion that the talented recruits and transfers can latch onto. 

Of Iowa's nine rotation players, five are in-state kids: Baer, Bohannon, Wieskamp, Kriener and McCaffery. Pemsl is also an Iowan, but is out for the year. Moss is from Chicago, of which Iowa City is an unofficial suburb.

I believe Moe Iba's Last year was the first year the tournament expanded to 64 teams...I do think we may overrate nee because he made the Dance and Underrate Iba and Cip because they didn't make the dance (except the last year of Iba).  

I believe we had 17 straight winning seasons from Cip through Iba and it ended the second year of Nee.

It’s sad for me thinking about Miles  being fired. I liked the guy a bunch. I used to always make sure to listen to sports nightly when he was on in the railyard. He has a heck of a personality. 

I remember watching some games during colliers years, and I paid attention during Docs years as well. I am 28 so still fairly young and I don’t even remember the Nee years. What really got me to where I love watching nebrasketball is being able to watch every single game. You could see we had potential.  I’d catch a game if it was in tv or radio once in awhile back in the day if I could.  Thanks BTN and the B1G for making me a huge fan of  Nebrasketball. It also helps when you have expectations to be good!!

1 hour ago, Blindcheck said:

I believe Moe Iba's Last year was the first year the tournament expanded to 64 teams...I do think we may overrate nee because he made the Dance and Underrate Iba and Cip because they didn't make the dance (except the last year of Iba).  

I believe we had 17 straight winning seasons from Cip through Iba and it ended the second year of Nee.

Not quite, but we had a pretty good run 73-74 through 86-87. That's 14 straight winning seasons overall, and the only losing conference season was 84-85. At least a few of those teams would have made a 64-team NCAA field, and one or two may actually have won a game, particularly that NIT FInal Four squad of 1983.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 9.16.55 AM.png

Edited by jayschool

10 hours ago, jason2486 said:

The NIT is basically like any non-playoff bowl game: most teams could give a sh*t. I don't put much, if any, stock in NIT outcomes. I don't think the B1G is that much greater this year. Teams should get better as the year progresses, yet the non-con basically seals your conference's fate for the year, which makes little sense. By the end of last year, our conference was as good as any IMO. We got screwed, no doubt.

Especially when your league has as good or better coaching than any other league.  The teams in our league certainly get better for the most part.  

20 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sorry, I am confused.  What do you mean?

I thought it was ironic that you called out Dave for being redundant when you posted two crazy off-topic threads having zero to do with Husker Hoops, which is what this section is for. High School Hoops, for example, usually is in recruiting or other off topic category. Super Bowl probably should be in the offseason category. That's all. And I was just teasing you for not noticing that. 

Edited by tcp

3 hours ago, tcp said:

I thought it was ironic that you called out Dave for being redundant when you posted two crazy off-topic threads having zero to do with Husker Hoops, which is what this section is for. High School Hoops, for example, usually is in recruiting or other off topic category. Super Bowl probably should be in the offseason category. That's all. And I was just teasing you for not noticing that. 

Yeah, that is why I deleted my post soon thereafter.  I was just a bit frustrated by my perception of inundation of the Miles departure threads.  I realized my error in judgment.  All is well.

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

Yeah, that is why I deleted my post soon thereafter.  I was just a bit frustrated by my perception of inundation of the Miles departure threads.  I realized my error in judgment.  All is well.

It's always well, mon frere...:) Just don't ever post a mariah carey video again or I'll have to hire assassins.....?

Truth moment: I actually threatened a couple of my tutored pupils once with forcing them to watch 'Glitter' if they didn't work harder to prepare for their LSATs. I think I milked an additional few points in verbals from that. 

ESPN's take on "Reverse Hot Seat":

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

Reverse hot seat -- why these embattled coaches should stay

Tim Miles, Nebraska Cornhuskers (110-108 in seventh season)

What his detractors would say: He has gone from the fun coach who used to tweet at halftime to the coach whose team has experienced high turnover and won more than 20 games only once. Nebraska, which has reached the NCAA tournament only once under Miles, has lost seven in a row. Plus, Nebraska can shred the final year of his deal by paying him a $2.5 million buyout this offseason. The school would owe Miles nearly $4 million total if it made the move after next season.

Why his firing would be unjust: Nebraska has opened a great arena and practice facility within the past five years. The school has invested millions to rebrand itself as a viable basketball program. That's not easy to do for a program that's never won an NCAA tournament game. Firing Miles could erase the momentum the program has built during his time in Lincoln.