uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 24 - @ Purdue

uneblinstu

what really sucks is that if Copeland were healthy and we were going through this, I would still have hope we can get going.  As is, we cannot.  It is a horrible job of building depth, and developing young players.  I don't think it matters if we were to fire Miles in season.  We just are not good.  Don't recruit enough shooting, and can't coach them on improving shooting.  It is sad.  Lot of good people in this fan base.  They deserve some success.  I hope like hell we spend the necessary money to get the right guy.  I would pay a large sum of money to be able to help select it.  If only that were possible.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

what really sucks is that if Copeland were healthy and we were going through this, I would still have hope we can get going.  As is, we cannot.  It is a horrible job of building depth, and developing young players.  I don't think it matters if we were to fire Miles in season.  We just are not good.  Don't recruit enough shooting, and can't coach them on improving shooting.  It is sad.  Lot of good people in this fan base.  They deserve some success.  I hope like hell we spend the necessary money to get the right guy.  I would pay a large sum of money to be able to help select it.  If only that were possible.  

can't forget that we lost an ugly game at rutgers when copeland was still healthy. simply put miles had to produce this year injury or no injuries. the injury would have been a lot more manageable if miles had recruited another backup or kept morrow, jacobsen, or jordy. can't just blame the injury for this mess. every team goes through injuries.

Edited by TimSmiles

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

I tend to think of us as passionate.

9 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

Where was Nana the 2nd half. He shot with confidence, brought great energy, and had 5 rebounds in the 1st. I don't get why he saw 0 2nd half minutes.

I was wondering the same thing.  Nana scores 5 and grabs 5 boards in just 8 minutes (first half) and doesn't see the floor in the second half.  

Allen ties his career-high with 18 in just 26 minutes.

Watson scores 4 in 34 minutes.

I understand we have zero depth, however I don't understand how Nana doesn't see the floor in the second half.

5 hours ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Well, that's 8 in a row for Purdue. They're arguably the hottest team in the conference right now, at their home fortress.

What's the difference?

Purdue had an arguably mediocre nonconference season. Then something flipped.

Nebraska had an arguably Top 15 nonconference season. Then something flipped.

10 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

can't forget that we lost an ugly game at rutgers when copeland was still healthy. simply put miles had to produce this year injury or no injuries. the injury would have been a lot more manageable if miles had recruited another backup or kept morrow, jacobsen, or jordy. can't just blame the injury for this mess. every team goes through injuries.

i didn't just blame the injury for this mess.  I said if we didn't have the injury, I would still have hope of turning it around.  

I do think we would have split Wisconsin and Maryland with Copeland. And would likely win 3-4 more instead of the 2 I predict us to win. But at the end of the day Cope might have meant a possibility of being on the bubble/NIT versus where we are. Both scenarios really aren’t acceptable for year seven of a program. 

2 hours ago, hhcdave said:

I do think we would have split Wisconsin and Maryland with Copeland. And would likely win 3-4 more instead of the 2 I predict us to win. But at the end of the day Cope might have meant a possibility of being on the bubble/NIT versus where we are. Both scenarios really aren’t acceptable for year seven of a program. 

We can't change the past. One thing the Cope injury has allowed for is the emergence of Thor as a play-maker & Tom Allen fitting into that 6th man role nicely. And, maybe the expansion of Roby's leadership role. I still think this team has some positive results in them. Only way to know for sure is to watch the final 7 games. Wait & see what happens after the 2018-19 season concludes. GBR !!!

1 minute ago, AuroranHusker said:

We can't change the past. One thing the Cope injury has allowed for is the emergence of Thor as a play-maker & Tom Allen fitting into that 6th man role nicely. And, maybe the expansion of Roby's leadership role. I still think this team has some positive results in them. Only way to know for sure is to watch the final 7 games. Wait & see what happens after the 2018-19 season concludes. GBR !!!

Right on!

How good was the first half of our year?  How far have we truly fallen so far?

-- We are currently on a 7 game losing streak and could still reach the 20 win mark in the regular season.

-- We could lose out on a 14 game losing streak and still beat or tie our season wins for 2016-2017, 2014-2015, 2011-2012, 

6 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

What's the difference?

Purdue had an arguably mediocre nonconference season. Then something flipped.

Nebraska had an arguably Top 15 nonconference season. Then something flipped.

indeed, momentum is a powerful force in College Hoops. But clearly purdue (and michigan, MSU...) are deep down, elite, well managed and put together teams. The boilermakers have a clear identity and gameplan.

It's certainly strange how Nebraska had an ideal scheduling plan for non con, but in the end it didn't matter, because evidently it was fools gold? and we always have to take into account that these games can swing quickly, and hence the season; a loss can put your team into a 5-10 game funk, and this phenomenon hit nebraska particularly hard this time around. welp. IDK how to explain this season. (pretty normal in cbb for me) What I'd really like to see is stats and graphs on this incredible turnaround in fortunes in the negative direction...EXTREME negative direction...