uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 24 - @ Purdue

uneblinstu

First half:

- Saw some of the old Nebrasketball return that we saw early in the year. That was encouraging to see. Hopefully, win or lose tonight, they can build on that. That version of the Huskers can still make some noise this year.

Second half:

- Purdue woke up. Outworked NU and the Huskers took some bad shots, really bad.

- NU regrouped

- Tom Allen had a night.

- We can at least say they brought the fight tonight. 

- That 14-2 run at the start of the half was the difference.

- Some things to build off of tonight. But a loss none-the-less.

Notes

*-Thomas Allen’s 18 points tied a career high. He also had 18 points against Creighton on Dec. 8. It is also the first time Allen led Nebraska in scoring in his career.
*-Thomas Allen’s five 3-pointers is a career high, betting the three he had against Kansas on Dec. 16, 2017.  His previous season high was two on several occasions.
*-Nebraska’s 10 3-pointers as a team is the most since hitting 11 against Southwest Minnesota State on Dec. 29, 2018, and the sixth time this season the Husker 
*-Purdue shot 50.9 percent tonight, becoming only the second team in the last 49 games to shoot over 50 percent against the Huskers dating back to last season.
*-Nana Akenten’s five points is his highest total since Jan. 6 at Iowa, when he had seven points.  In addition, his five rebounds tied for his second highest total of the season.
*-James Palmer Jr. has reached double figures in 23 of 24 games this season and finished with 17 points.
*-Nebraska got 23 points from its bench against Purdue, marking the second straight game the Huskers received double-figure points from its bench. It is the first time NU got consecutive double-figure efforts from its bench since Dec. 22-29, 2018, and its highest bench total in Big Ten play this season.
*-Thorir Thorbjarnarson’s 3-pointer at the 17:51 mark of the first half was just his second of the season and first since Nov. 6
*-Nebraska falls to 1-5 against ranked teams this season. 

Well fellas... here’s the real crappy part.

I didn’t post much in the game thread.  I watched the game.  I felt encouraged by the game.  Even with the ending.  We played better!  We shot it pretty good!  I was almost not disappointed.

Then I thought about it.  About the fact that I somehow felt better about this game.  A nearly 20 point loss.  About how I felt we shot better and we didn’t even hit 33% outside of Tom.  Then it hit me.  I shouldn’t have felt that way about any game this season that ended like that.  I should be flat out pissed.  And I’m not.

Oh how far we’ve fallen in the last month and a half.  Literally a month and a half ago we were rated.  My God.  This sucks.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Well fellas... here’s the real crappy part.

I didn’t post much in the game thread.  I watched the game.  I felt encouraged by the game.  Even with the ending.  We played better!  We shot it pretty good!  I was almost not disappointed.

Then I thought about it.  About the fact that I somehow felt better about this game.  A nearly 20 point loss.  About how I felt we shot better and we didn’t even hit 33% outside of Tom.  Then it hit me.  I shouldn’t have felt that way about any game this season that ended like that.  I should be flat out pissed.  And I’m not.

Oh how far we’ve fallen in the last month and a half.  Literally a month and a half ago we were rated.  My God.  This sucks.

Yep.

I honestly can't soft sell that 2d half defensively. It was a huge lack of effort on that end. 

the only thing that was better about this game overall is that we didn't shoot less than 30 percent. 

Otherwise, it was a carbon copy of most of our losses, right down to the whiffed free throws under pressure. 

This team is over. This season is over. And the icing on the cake is that this team will not even be playing in the post season. 

Just now, tcp said:

I honestly can't soft sell that 2d half defensively. It was a huge lack of effort on that end. 

the only thing that was better about this game overall is that we didn't shoot less than 30 percent. 

Otherwise, it was a carbon copy of most of our losses, right down to the whiffed free throws under pressure. 

This team is over. This season is over. And the icing on the cake is that this team will not even be playing in the post season. 

Well... I think we have to play at least one game.  Sadly.  If you count the Big 10 tournament as postseason...

So does a person just tell Palmer to get layups or go to the free throw line?  His shooting has been horrific lately. One bright note to me is Roby is looking more like our “star” at times. 

Whats really wierd is that Watson just does not enjoy playing the game. If things are good he’s having fun, but if it’s just a bit tough he goes in the tank. You can tell by his body language if he’s going to make the shots he takes. 

I keep watching hoping theyll win, but at this point it’s just another year of nebrasketball for me. Wishing we could shoot the ball and having a chance to go dancing.