Scouting Purdue

hhcmatt

If expectations have been the root of the problem then this game at Purdue will offer a reprise because we wouldn't be expected to win this one even if we were playing well

Carson Edwards is in the running to be the Big 10 player of the year and takes the highest percentage of shots of anyone in the conference. Thus if you recall what Winston from MSU or Culver from Texas Tech did to us, imagine that but during a true away game.  He's the type of guy you hope is just having a bad day as he can get a shot up whenever he wants from wherever he wants.

Matt Haarms gets all the attention because he's a giant Dutch guy who's typically a threat for a double-double in points and number of times running his hand through his hair but it's the emergence of 270# freshman center Trevion Williams that really has this team going. The only thing keeping Williams off the court is his foul trouble

The rest of the team is mostly made up of dudes who will burn you from 3 if you try to double anyone except for 6'6" Nojel Eastern who is one of those can't shoot from the outside but slashes into the lane and gets to the FT line anyway types. 

All of the above adds up to one of the best offensive teams in college basketball

This is a school that has a "defense lives here" sign in the student section which isn't the best medicine for a team in an offensive spiral. They do put you on the foul line and people make 3s on them, so it's possible for the offense to figure out something in this game

I think it's adorable that Haarms cares that much about grooming in the middle of extreme physical exertion. 

That might not be the best wording. 

Purdue will have to have a game as bad as they were having the first few week of the season to lose this, along with NU having one of their best games in 45 days. 

If "no chance in hell" were an actual Vegas line, this game would have it. 

• 2 weeks later...

the odds of Purdue playing that badly twice in a row are pretty low. And we'd need that IU performance to have a shot at them. 

this should end pretty badly. i'm guessing our worst home loss in some time. although maybe the humiliation of the PSU poop show drives these guys into a gear not named "reverse". 

1 hour ago, tcp said:

the odds of Purdue playing that badly twice in a row are pretty low. And we'd need that IU performance to have a shot at them. 

this should end pretty badly. i'm guessing our worst home loss in some time. although maybe the humiliation of the PSU poop show drives these guys into a gear not named "reverse". 

I think the PSU PU works to our advantage, along with Bardo's comments. Would be greatly disappointed by a lame effort at home. 

Plus, winning this game and restoking hopes temporarily would be the Nebrasketball thing to do.

Edited by Chuck Taylor

This may be a strange sort of game.  The weather will likely keep a portion of the crowd away.  Students hit the apathy button a game or three ago, and will likely be no shows (other than the real diehards).  It will be even more interesting to see if the team shows up.  I certainly hope so.  

18 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

This may be a strange sort of game.  The weather will likely keep a portion of the crowd away.  Students hit the apathy button a game or three ago, and will likely be no shows (other than the real diehards).  It will be even more interesting to see if the team shows up.  I certainly hope so.  

What I know:   Mrs. HB and I will show up, and we will be ready.

What I think:   The Huskers will show up, and play with great effort.

3 minutes ago, HB said:

What I know:   Mrs. HB and I will show up, and we will be ready.

What I think:   The Huskers will show up, and play with great effort.

I'm thinking and hoping the same thing.  I do believe they were embarrassed by their PSU showing and will come out with some fight.  And we will have our butts in our seats as well; snow or shine.  

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

I'm thinking and hoping the same thing.  I do believe they were embarrassed by their PSU showing and will come out with some fight.  And we will have our butts in our seats as well; snow or shine.  

I hope so.  Someone needs to show these guys that all of their dang goals are still possible.  Win the Big 10 Tournament?  Possible.  Make the Dance?  Possible.  Win a game or two when we get there?  Possible.

I mean hell, I look at bracketmatrix and am flabbergasted.  The Bubble is so incredibly weak.  So weak.

Updated yesterday...

Last 4 In: Alabama, Temple, Clemson, Arizona State

First 4 Out: Utah State, Nebraska, Butler, Davidson

Next 4 Out: Furman, Indiana, Georgetown, San Francisco