weird stats

kansashusker

We are so close to being really good, and with a little good fortune could have a lot better records.  I truly think it will flip next year to the upside.  Our overall stats on the season are reasonably solid in almost all categories.  Just looking at them a few things jumped out at me that are unusual and things that need to be addressed for us to get better in my opinion.

1.  Kate has only shot 15 free throws on the season.  Given her huge number of minutes and role that is a crazy low number.  We have got to get her some shots going towards the basket so she can get to the line some, and we can get the other teams bigs in foul trouble a little more.  Taylor needs to find a way to get to the line more also so people can't camp on her 3 ball.

2.  Ashton has 11 assists in almost 400 minutes.  That is almost impossible to pull off and tells me she has got to slow down and kick the ball out on some offensive rebounds rather than always trying to muscle up a shot.  Her assist to TO ratio is 1-4 to the negative.  I love her energy, athleticism and toughness.  When she addresses this issue it will help her and us a lot.

3.  Mershon has 60 fg attempts and 20 of them are 3s despite only shooting 25 % from 3 pt line.  I love her length, iq and defense, but she has got to be more willing to mix it up inside as we can't have our 4/5 player with 1/3 of their shots being 3s.  That means she is settling.

4.  I have harped on it in other posts but our bigs as a group have taken almost 100 3 point attempts and are a combined 23%.  Again that is settling and wasted possessions. Not one of them is hitting over 25% on high volume so unless the shot clock is going off its rarely a good shot for them.

I believe in this team. Great kids and talented players.  Our margin for error isn't very big so these little things matter.

Edited by kansashusker

On 2/8/2019 at 8:41 AM, kansashusker said:

I have harped on it in other posts but our bigs as a group have taken almost 100 3 point attempts and are a combined 23%.  Again that is settling and wasted possessions. Not one of them is hitting over 25% on high volume so unless the shot clock is going off its rarely a good shot for them.

Besides another point guard we really need a power forward that can do it all including giving us a consistent outside threat.  Hopefully that's coming next year.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:37 PM, HUD said:

Besides another point guard we really need a power forward that can do it all including giving us a consistent outside threat.  Hopefully that's coming next year.

You Tube highlight video shows Isabelle Bourne hitting from mid range and behind the arc, as well as scoring inside the post and blocking shots.  Of course, those are "anecdotal" so we'll see how well she fits this bill.