Huskers @ Michigan...

whoopdeedoo

1 minute ago, Cazzie22 said:

Horrid 4th quarter.  Poor job against the press, should have attacked the press and tried to score.  Sloppy turnovers shouldn’t be happening this late in the season. Another game gets away.  

that's just the thing------opportunities to burn that press were right there!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

Googled it.   WNIT in years 2, 3, and 4.  NCAA in the 5th year.

needed this one, imo. like i posted earlier, it is going to really be a struggle to even make NIT now--------and, no reason this squad shouldn't be at least an NIT team.

i still think coach needs to keep adding better athleticism to the squad. it is what it is.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

21 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

needed this one, imo. like i posted earlier, it is going to really be a struggle to even make NIT--------and, no reason this squad shouldn't be at least an NIT team.

i still think coach needs to keep adding better athleticism to the squad. it is what it is.

She needs to recruit some defensive players. Losing Jasmine and Janay’s defense has us looking like a completely different team. We have all the offensive pieces back from last year and still look disjointed on offense too.  And whatever they are doing in practice to cut back on turnovers is not working.  It’s sad watching this team buckle under pressure. 

These are coaching issues, and that’s all I have to say about that. 

Edited by Omahusker

Since I'm coming in late, it's hard to add anything to what's been said.  As alluded to, offense seemed stagnant- obviously makes the D's job easier.  They trapped in our half-court off. several times.  Then there's the side to side passing in the backcourt.  That ball needs to move forward one way or another.  Coaches have to go back and find something that will facilitate that.  Barring an unlikely winning streak, I think us fans need to chalk up this season as one of learning and growing for the ladies.  Hopefully we can get one more recruit in the late signing period and fill a needed gap.  Another "big" would be nice, or even better possibly someone long and athletic that has shown she scraps on defense (like Eliely).

It is all too easy to get Down on the team, but I like our players (and wouldn't trade 'em for anyone).  There is Plenty of Athleticism,  I think our Freshmen Class is full of 'em; as good as anybody.  Defense is Good, demonstrated by holding opponents to below their normal scoring, but can, and should,  be  improved!    Scores can be deceptive; but the Ladies have been in practically every game to the end, within striking distance of winning, only to have to foul to try to pull out the win, inflating the opponents score.

Not bad at all, especially considering there are only Ten Healthy players on the entire roster (Grad Transfer Kristian Hudson, fm FIU required surgery ending her season).  Credit Coach Williams and her staff for recruiting and filling holes; it is not their fault if needed talent is not available (or injured and can't play).  IIRC, by some accounts Coach Amy has recruited two top-20 classes back-to-back, (the current four freshmen are all capable of being starters, or playing starters minutes) and the three signed recruits for 2019 are all highly-regarded.   Again, it is all too easy to fault coaching, But this is essentially a young team, and they do make mistakes; sometimes not playing as 'Smart'. as they should.

Here is a brief recap to date that may jog your memory.  We may not win another game this season; But IMHO This Team does NOT Shirk OR Buckle!  [IMG]

Out-of-Conference (11) Record: 5-6
Wed, 11/7, vs Drake, (L, 83-77) - Close Loss; Both teams roar back fm deficits in high-scoring :Catfight:

Sun, 11/11, vs USC Upstate, (W, 87-64) - Kissinger sets new School Record; 6 of 6 Treys in Win :Bow:

Fri, 11/16, @ Washington St, (L, 87-84 2OT) - Down 13 pts @ HT; Ladies rally, unable to finish in OT:(

...(Miami Thanksgiving Classic @ Miami, FL - Record: 1-1; Third Place)...
Fri, 11/23, vs Miami, (L, 82-68) - Ladies rally fm 22pts down; but leave too many pts on the floor :Redface:
Sun, 11/25, vs Radford, (W, 77-39) - Huskers bounce-back B1G-Time in Coach Amy's 30th NU Win :Salute:

...(ACC/Big Ten Challenge: Series Record: 2-6)...
Thu, 11/29, @ Louisville, (L, 85-68) - AP#4 Louisville's stifling Defense proves too much to overcome:confused:

Sun, 12/2, @ Creighton, (L, 74-65) - Disappointing Loss-Ladies Fight Back:Catfight:but Shots Won't Fall:(
Wed, 12/5, vs Kansas, (W, 58-52) - Frosh shine in Ladies 6 pt win in close game :Catfight:
Sat, 12/8, vs San Jose State, (W, 96-63) - Teamwork + Shots Falling = Huskers Dispatch Spartans :Cheer2:
Sat, 12/15, vs Denver, (W, 96-71) - Romanowski=33pts (8-8,3s) :Bow: Huskers=96 pts; 5 in Double Digits:Banana:
Tue, 12/18, @ Arkansas, (L, 84-80) - Uneven Refing - Scoreboard problems contribute to close Loss:Catfight:

B1G Conference Play (18) Record: 5-7
Fri, 12/28, vs Michigan, (W, 70-56) - Team Gels in 4th Qtr:Hair Fire: goes on 33-13 run for the Win!:Bow:
Mon, 12/31, @ Ohio State, (W, 78-69) - First Win in six tries :Banghead: vs Ohio State - Monkey's off our Back:Balloons:

Thu, 1/3, @ Iowa, (L, 77-71) - Huskers Hang Tough despite Iowa's Gustafson (28/17) & 43 pts in Paint :Pirate:
Tue, 1/8, vs Maryland, (L, 81-63) - Tale of the Tape; Terps Outshoot Huskers @ FGs & Treys :(
Sun, 1/13, vs Rutgers, (L, 63-59) - Grit, No Quit Lady Huskers Rebound to Tie, final shots won't fall[IMG]
Thu, 1/17, @ Illinois, (W, 77-67) - Husker Ladies rush into lead, Don't look bk. Veerbeek career hi 19 pts:Clap:
Sun, 1/20, vs Minnesota, (W, 63-57) - Not so 'Nicea' Sparks 'No Quit' Huskers; Take down #23 Gophers:Happyrun:
Thu, 1/24, vs Northwestern, (L, 58-54) - 'No Quit' Huskers rally fm 10 pt deficit, lead in final minute, fall short :Sick:
Sun, 1/27, @ Wisconsin, (L, 70-69) - Disappointing Buzzer-Beater Loss To The Badgers :(
Thu, 1/31, @ Purdue, (W, 84-64) - Hot-Shooting Huskers Gals Gel, Blow Past Boilermakers :Hair Fire:

Sun, 2/3, vs Indiana, (L, 82-78) - No Quit Lady Huskers Fight:Catfight:Down to the wire; Lose a nail-biter:Timeout:
Thu, 2/7, @ Michigan, (L, 67-61) - Ladies Play Tough; But Let Game get Away from them At the end o_O

Edited by Red Don

Comparing Yori to Williams is impractical.  Yori had more coaching experience than Williams.  Last year was Coach Williams first time to the tourney.  Higher expectations, bigger conference much more scrutiny than she has ever had.  I think she is the right coach and she has a good staff, but just as a Freshman there is going to be a learning curve envolved.  What is our defensive identity, how do we manage expectations, how do we manage a power 5 that now knows how to scout us?

Remember a couple things, last year we over achieved ( we weren't as good as we played).  Last year we set up for more success because of an easier schedule ( we went from 100 SOS to 25 SOS), by the way this is a lot of wood to chop especially when you're trying to catch 4 freshmen up to speed and play a major role.  Too much success too quickly can also be a bad thing, cause it can cause unreasonable expectations and put too much pressure on a team that's not really ready for and in truth I'm not sure the coaching staff was ready to handle it and the pressure of not living up to those expectations.

We are on the right track..  Why do I say that....  We are and have been able to compete in all but 2 games, which is by the way why this is so frustrating.  I really think it will turn around next year big time.  The players will be better and just as if not more important the coaching staff will have grown quite a bit from this season.

Should have worn black.I am older than dirt.can't wait too many years.freshman are good but none are listed as top 4 in conference. Kissing has been taking it to the hoop lately. 2 baskets off double screen at end of game. Maybe should do it more earlier. Agree with one who said ball should go forward rather than crosscourt. Amy says we need today get over the hump but exactly what is the hump.maybe she should clarify.

totally hot and casual take here since i haven't followed the women this year much, but doesn't it seem like William's trajectory is mirroring Miles' a bit? 

Understandably brutal first season, surprising 2d season, bring back mot of the starters and 3rd season looks like minor disaster. 

Just a weird thought looking in from the outside. 

2 hours ago, tcp said:

totally hot and casual take here since i haven't followed the women this year much, but doesn't it seem like William's trajectory is mirroring Miles' a bit? 

Understandably brutal first season, surprising 2d season, bring back mot of the starters and 3rd season looks like minor disaster. 

Just a weird thought looking in from the outside. 

Appreciate all contributions in these threads.   Your take is understandable, but I enjoy the dialog/dialogue,  so here it goes.  

First thought,  might be too soon to compare trajectories.    

I think the situation Coach Williams stepped into, was much more difficult than Miles.  She was replacing one of the better coaches in Nebraska Women's basketball

history.  Several players changed schools, the roster was down several scholarship players. Team psyche?  Probably a bit fragile.  Other thoughts.  

I think Coach Williams and staff, are better recruiters.  They are addressing class sizes, while improving their roster.  This batch of freshman are 

performing well.  The class coming in, at least on paper, look to be of similar quality.  They are creating a continuity, not dependent on transfers.  They 

have shown a willingness to add a transfer, if they fill a need. They are building for the long run. The current roster includes 3 scholarship players from last year,

that don't participate. 

There might areas of similarity.  Player development, strength and conditioning, scouting, game planning, and game management all receive scrutiny,

when win/loss record doesn't meet expectations.   Will this staff improve in these areas?  Time will tell. Coach Williams (and staff) deserve time to find their way.

One could argue, last year was the anomaly.  We far exceeded expectations.  They won 21 games in year 2.   It took Coach Miles 6 years before he won 20. 

The NCAA year, they only won 19. And, that is Miles "high water" mark.   Coach Miles is in year 7,  and has been through almost 2 complete recruiting cycles, with

little to show for it. He again has a senior heavy line-up, with little coming back to flame optimism.    I certainly hope, Coach Williams Husker stay, has a much more 

satisfying trajectory than that of Tim Miles.    

Edited by 12dozen

(Game Recap @ Huskers.com)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=211789703

Huskers Fall in Tight Game at Michigan

Ann Arbor, Mich. - Nebraska led 51-49 with four minutes left, but Michigan made enough plays down the stretch to escape with a 67-61 women's basketball win over the Huskers on Thursday night at Crisler Arena.

The loss dropped Nebraska to 5-7 in the Big Ten and 10-13 overall, while the Wolverines improved to 15-9 and 6-6 in the conference by splitting the season series with the Huskers.

In a low-scoring fourth quarter, Nebraska held Michigan without a field goal for the first 7:35 of the period, but trailed 53-51 after a pair of Hallie Thome free throws with 2:33 left. Thome finished with eight points, including four in the fourth quarter.

The Huskers then turned the ball over in the backcourt and Akienreh Johnson got the steal and an uncontested layup to push the Michigan margin to 55-51. Moments later another turnover by Nebraska led to a Naz Hillmon layup and-one free throw to extend the Wolverine lead to 58-51 with 1:59 left. Those were the only Michigan field goals in the quarter. The Wolverines hit nine free throws the rest of the way to seal the win.