Jobs That Will Be Open

HoiBall

For the purpose of having some relevant conversation during the last month I thought I would compile a list of schools who will be (or most likely will be) in the same boat as Nebraska in looking for a new coach. These are the jobs that I believe will for sure be open and some that could come open. Now, I am not trying to disrespect the current team with 9 games left on the schedule, but we all know where this is headed so no reason we can't face reality and review the landscape of college basketball. Where does everyone think we fall in the pecking order? 

Open for sure: (In Order)

1. UCLA

2. Wake Forest

3. Nebraska

4. Penn State

5. Washington State

May come open: (No order)

Boston College

Minnesota (unlikely unless they collapse and don't make the tourney, then I would say very likely)

Depaul

Rutgers

Colorado (would think Tad has enough equity to survive this season)

Stanford

Georgia Tech

USC (May save himself one more year because he can recruit)

Cal (First year coach, but they are awful)

Miami (only if Larranaga retires)

Texas (another great recruiting class, but bad on court results)

Oklahoma State (results aren't there, but word is TBoone likes Boynton so he most likely gets another year)

Feel free to add any more you think are realistic. Not a ton of big names, and if we can get an increased level of commitment from the AD for basketball I think Nebraska can be in the top 10 jobs open this year.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

The only 'for sure' at this stage would be UCLA, which canned Alford a month ago.

Seems like a good bet that one of those "for sure openings" will not be open. I could think of $1.4 Mil reasons why a cash strapped WSU might give Ernie Kent one more year to make it work. 

Just now, Cazzie22 said:

Chambers should be OK at PSU, Boynton just needs some time at OSU.  Rutgers coach should receive another year.  UCLA and Wake are both better jobs than NU.

I would think Chambers is good as gone. He pushed a player this year and got suspended, he's never made a tournament and his in conf record is turrible. 

55 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Chambers should be OK at PSU, Boynton just needs some time at OSU.  Rutgers coach should receive another year.  UCLA and Wake are both better jobs than NU.

Man, I don't know Cazzie.  There is a big part of me that would not rate the Wake Forest job as better than NU.  Attendance sort of sucks there.  Their history is not much better than ours.  Their academic entry requirements are much stiffer than here.  

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Man, I don't know Cazzie.  There is a big part of me that would not rate the Wake Forest job as better than NU.  Attendance sort of sucks there.  Their history is not much better than ours.  Their academic entry requirements are much stiffer than here.  

Also you're fighting with NC ST just to be 3rd fiddle in the state, a fight Wake is currently losing. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

The rosy red glasses of some of our fans is pretty ridiculous. Wake Forest is a worse job than Nebraska? You're not serious? Fertile recruiting ground, prominent former players in the NBA, and they might not have much recent success but their history of tourney appearances alone looks a hell of a lot better than here. Plus they're in the ACC and have an athletic department that just straight up cares more about basketball.

Edited by OmahaHusker
I can't spell

2 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

The rosy red glasses of some of our fans is pretty ridiculous. Wake Forest is a worse job than Nebraska? You're not serious? Fertile recruiting ground, prominent former players in the NBA, and they might not have much recent success but their history of tourney appearances alone looks a hell of a lot better than here. Plus they're in the ACC and have an athletic department that just straight up cares more about basketball.

He's not far off - the bolded is weird to me. We're in the B1G and we also care about basketball????

Wake was voted the 11th best basketball job in the ACC by ACC coaches. We were voted 9th in the B1G by B1G coaches.

11. Wake Forest (45) – Remember when Wake was really good?  The Demon Deacons went to the Sweet 16 three times within a four-year span in the mid 1990s under Dave Odom, and Skip Prosser took the program to the NCAA tourney in four of his six seasons. Since Dino Gaudio was fired in 2010, they have gone just once – a First Four appearance two seasons ago.

Where they win: They can sell NBA stars Tim Duncan and Chris Paul, and also the fact they reside in a college basketball hotbed. Wake boasts a great recruiting base.

The knock: “It’s a small school in what’s kind of a boring town, and there are three other schools in the state that overshadow Wake. It just doesn’t have a big brand.” – ACC assistant

4 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

He's not far off - the bolded is weird to me. We're in the B1G and we also care about basketball????

Our athletic department is not as invested in basketball as other teams in the B1G. This is just a known fact. The location of Wake Forest alone being that close to high-level recruits would intrigue any coach over coming here. I don't think what I'm saying is anything earth shattering. Nebraska is easily one of the Top 5 hardest jobs in the Power 5 based on historical data. Chris Basnett said as much yesterday in his interview on The Ticket.

9 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Our athletic department is not as invested in basketball as other teams in the B1G. This is just a known fact. The location of Wake Forest alone being that close to high-level recruits would intrigue any coach over coming here. I don't think what I'm saying is anything earth shattering. Nebraska is easily one of the Top 5 hardest jobs in the Power 5 based on historical data. Chris Basnett said as much yesterday in his interview on The Ticket.

This is just wrong. I think we've shown a lot of investment into our basketball program. The new arena, the new practice facilities, the railyard deveolpment. Power 5 teams would kill for what our Athletic Department has created for the basketball program.

16 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This is just wrong. I think we've shown a lot of investment into our basketball program. The new arena, the new practice facilities, the railyard deveolpment. Power 5 teams would kill for what our Athletic Department has created for the basketball program.

I'm not talking actual investment, but more of investment in a personal sense. Our athletic department doesn't seem to care as much about basketball. This isn't anything new. It's been like this forever. Whoever Moos hires for basketball he'll never feel the heat for it if that coach under performs as long as Frost is winning.

53 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Hmm.  I guess I am now a ridiculous human being.  Thanks for your professional and very informed opinion.  

That said, I said that I wasn't sure it was a better job, it was meant as fodder for further discussion.  But I guess that is a ridiculous opinion.  It is just that their history, is just that history.  I am not certain that they are as big of a draw as they used to be.  It was just that UNL is now part of the Big Ten, but I guess the ACC is so much better than the Big Ten these days.  It was just a thought that our recent investment in facilities and our strong fan base may make UNL a bit more enticing.  

But hey, my rose colored glasses must have gotten in the way of reality.  Sorry.  So sorry!  

14 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I'm not talking actual investment, but more of investment in a personal sense. Our athletic department doesn't seem to care as much about basketball. This isn't anything new. It's been like this forever. Whoever Moos hires for basketball he'll never feel the heat for it if that coach under performs as long as Frost is winning.

I think we'll really see how much our athletic department cares about the basketball program in about two months.

As for the bold sentence, would you be okay with one of your kids getting F's, skipping school, and doing drugs as long as your other kid got A's, was an honor student, and never got in trouble? Of course not! You'd have to be a pretty bad parent to be okay with that. And I don't think Moos is that bad of a parent.

Edited by dustystehl

7 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I think we'll really see how much our athletic department cares about the basketball program in about two months.

As for the bold sentence, would you be okay with one of your kids getting F's, skipping school, and doing drugs as long as your other kid got A's, was an honor student, and never got in trouble? Of course not! You'd have to be a pretty bad parent to be okay with that. And I don't think Moos is that bad of a parent.

But that analogy assumes we hold both to the same standard, which we obviously don’t. No I’m obviously not ok with F’s but do you honestly think the majority of this fan base will really be calling for Moos’s head if this team still doesn’t win a tourney game 5+ years from now if the football team is getting to B1G championships and beyond?

Just now, OmahaHusker said:

But that analogy assumes we hold both to the same standard, which we obviously don’t. No I’m obviously not ok with F’s but do you honestly think the majority of this fan base will really be calling for Moos’s head if this team still doesn’t win a tourney game 5+ years from now if the football team is getting to B1G championships and beyond?

Depends on who he hires, and to what standard the new hire is held.

I think we're just feeling really defeated right now. The "we suck and nobody cares" sentiment/feeling comes from anger. And that's completely natural. We're human.

We will know a lot more in two months.

rutgers dude should get an extension for working miracles. 

too early to see who gets canned yet, as you can see how badly we melted down with a mere 6 game skid. There's too many games left for other programs to go boobs up for me to worry about personally. 

8 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I'd agree we don't hold basketball to the standard we hold football. But Nebraska football is in the same vein as Indiana Basketball, Michigan Football, Syracuse Basketball, ect. - it's always gonna be top dog. But that wasn't what I was arguing, I was arguing we've put just as much resources (probably more) into winning in basketball as Wake has. Hell aside from the places like Indiana, NC, MSU, I think our admin has put as much resources into winning in basketball as any power 5 team. 

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I'd agree we don't hold basketball to the standard we hold football. But Nebraska football is in the same vein as Indiana Basketball, Michigan Football, Syracuse Basketball, ect. - it's always gonna be top dog. But that wasn't what I was arguing, I was arguing we've put just as much resources (probably more) into winning in basketball as Wake has. Hell aside from the places like Indiana, NC, MSU, I think our admin has put as much resources into winning in basketball as any power 5 team. 

And all I’m saying is Wake still is a better job. We have a new arena and place to grab drinks after. Cool. Wake is located in a state that’s a hub for basketball talent with a tournament history. Yes the talented kids down in the Carolinas might think less of Wake compared to Duke and UNC, but at least they’ve heard of the team. 

48 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Hmm.  I guess I am now a ridiculous human being.  Thanks for your professional and very informed opinion.  

That said, I said that I wasn't sure it was a better job, it was meant as fodder for further discussion.  But I guess that is a ridiculous opinion.  It is just that their history, is just that history.  I am not certain that they are as big of a draw as they used to be.  It was just that UNL is now part of the Big Ten, but I guess the ACC is so much better than the Big Ten these days.  It was just a thought that our recent investment in facilities and our strong fan base may make UNL a bit more enticing.  

But hey, my rose colored glasses must have gotten in the way of reality.  Sorry.  So sorry!  

Ummm the ACC is absolutely better than the B1G these days. What do they have 5 national championships in the last 10 years? B1G hasn’t won a championship in 20 years. 

But you just said you weren’t admitting that the job here is better so I don’t really need to argue anymore. 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

If we are rolling in football, the basketball team could be absolutely dreadful, and it wouldnt matter to the athletic dept. It would be bonuses, contract extensions & kudos for everybody in administration

40 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Cash resources, yes. Emotional & mental investment, not a chance. People in the department are not getting hired or fired here because of the basketball program. How bad would the ad have to screw up with the basketball program to get canned at Nebraska? 

8 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

Cash resources, yes. Emotional & mental investment, not a chance. People in the department are not getting hired or fired here because of the basketball program. How bad would the ad have to screw up with the basketball program to get canned at Nebraska? 

I don’t think an unquantifiable mental investment comparison is gonna convince me Wake is a much more superior job.