Nebraska Fans-the best in the country!?

jimmykc

48 minutes ago, LNKtrnsplnt said:

I agree with the OP almost completely. Leaving early is baffling. Yes some people have babysitters or something important happening, but only some people. So I can understand some people leaving but not that usual ‘mass exodus’. I guess I am a basketball-only husker fan so I look forward to every game, want to watch very minute, and when I can, drive down from Omaha in crappy weather to watch even a struggling team play. 

The mass exodus doesn’t bother me as much as Wednesday though. Arrived one minute late to a half-empty, dead-silent arena. Only a half-full student section. Could hear Turgeon from the 300 level. People booing college kids that are playing a game for our entertainment who are in a funk. Honestly, I bet our guys are passing up shots because they don’t want to hear the groans for a miss or a sarcastic cheer for a make. Disheartening. Yes there are die-hard basketball fans (anyone on this board obviously) but I think I have to face the music and realize many fans that come to the games are football fans and FAIRWEATHER basketball fans. 

I think we just should take the classic JFK approach to watching sports to heart. ‘Ask not what your team can do for you, ask what you can do for your team.’ In other words, we need to be that sixth man and pump up the players so they aren’t afraid of upsetting the fickle fans in the arena who won’t show up/leave early. 

I go to every game.  Have only missed a few since 1978, although I can't hold a candle to HuskerPapa.   Anyway, I think the above post overstates what went down at Wednesday's game.    For an extremely cold, early tip-off weekday game in the midst of a huge losing steak, it was still a decent crowd.  I heard very little booing that wasn't directed at the officials (yeah, I'm old and might be deaf),  catcalls, and when I left AFTER the game there was still a huge crowd at the escalators.     I'm sure some think my observations are wrong, but I was there and that's what I saw.    As a fan base we're not perfect, but I think there are those who are hyper-critical.   

Edited by HB

About ten years ago I made the front page of the OWH standing in the football stands at the end of a particularly bad football game.  It was cold and the mood was sour.  But I sit in a real good seat surrounded by pretty decent fans.  But at the end of that particular game I was one of about five people left in the entire section.  

Not saying anything beyond that our fans do show up.  We are not LA fans that arrive fashionably late and leave early.  We are usually there on time, we typically are respectful and loud and we have a high percentage (typically) that will see it through to the end.  That said, we have some that will always leave early.  I can judge and my judgment is a thumbs down to them, but hey, they bought a ticket and we live in a country of the brave and the free.  BUT, I also have the right to respectfully tell them that they should not be leaving early, and if they do, sneak out the back, and do not parade in front of me, distracting me from my game enjoyment. 

23 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

The five stages of Nebrasketball fans:

1. Blame the AD/Marc Boehm

2. Blame the coach

3. Blame the players

4. Blame the fans

5. Blame the slogan on a placard outside of the football stadium gates

Rinse and repeat.

Id go:

1. Blame the refs

2. Blame the AD/Marc Boehm

3. Blame the coach

4. Blame the players

5. Blame the fans

6. Blame the slogan on a placard outside of the football stadium gates

7. Blame the refs

59 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

BUT, I also have the right to respectfully tell them that they should not be leaving early, and if they do, sneak out the back, and do not parade in front of me, distracting me from my game enjoyment. 

As long as that's the case, and you lightly rib the person about it that's fine.I know if my pregnant wife becomes uncomfortable and asks if we can head out a little early, and someone gives me crap for it on the way out, I'm probably gonna tell them to shove it up their a**. 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:10 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Two things make the fan base exceptional: (1) no pro sports, so total focus, even obsession, on college sports (2) willingness to buy tickets, even for a losing team. So maybe we're the best in purchasing tickets.

Regarding behavior, spirit, loyalty etc., there's no way to prove who's the best and to say you are is unbelievably obnoxious. It almost disqualifies you from being the best. I've always wanted to rip down the freakin' sign.

The sign is OK, however, it you read it as the being the administration saying to us, "You guys are the best! You still buy tickets even though we frequently disappoint you!"

Harsh, but true.

23 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

As long as that's the case, and you lightly rib the person about it that's fine.I know if my pregnant wife becomes uncomfortable and asks if we can head out a little early, and someone gives me crap for it on the way out, I'm probably gonna tell them to shove it up their a**. 

It's interesting times in Husker fandom. I've never really understood the constant bickering back & forth; I suppose it shows that Husker fans are not truly apathetic. Most every other fandom would just not show up, at all. Husker fans may come & go, but they *always* show up. That's commendable, even if some leave early, that doesn't hide the fact they CARE because all those fans were THERE. GBR !!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

I really don't think now is the time to crap on husker basketball fans.

We are the most loyal and have shown up through 2 decades of bad coaches.

I'm not sure why we keep showing up losing season after losing season but we do.  

We have the most loyal basketball fans.  Let's not insult them for showing up to watch team on a 5 game losing streak.

1 hour ago, PimpMario said:

I really don't think now is the time to crap on husker basketball fans.

We are the most loyal and have shown up through 2 decades of bad coaches.

I'm not sure why we keep showing up losing season after losing season but we do.  

We have the most loyal basketball fans.  Let's not insult them for showing up to watch team on a 5 game losing streak.

Could be 7-game losing streak by the time Minnesota comes to Lincoln next Weds. Yeah, I know, depressing.... but, I''ll be there. And that Saturday night for Legends Night vs Northwestern. GBR !!!

On 2/8/2019 at 7:00 AM, HB said:

Yeah, we just sold 80,000 tickets in 24 hours for a scrimmage by a team that has gone 4-8 in back to back years.   We sure do suck and there are a lot of much better fan bases doing that.

Selling out the stadium and best fans are not the same thing.  Selling out a spring game is a "fan" thing that this state likes to pat themselves on the back for.  There are other spring games that draw more fans.  No question the Nebraska fan base is a proud one but overall, there are better fans that are louder and just as devoted to their team.  That was my point

26 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Selling out the stadium and best fans are not the same thing.  Selling out a spring game is a "fan" thing that this state likes to pat themselves on the back for.  There are other spring games that draw more fans.  No question the Nebraska fan base is a proud one but overall, there are better fans that are louder and just as devoted to their team.  That was my point

For the sake of accuacy we lead the nation in attendance for spring games last year. 4,000 more than Georgia (2nd) and 10,000 more than Bama (3rd).

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Dont know if the Husker fanbase is the greatest or not but I think we can all agree that the fanbase has zero to do with Miles inability to put together a consistent offense. 

People can bash on the fanbase all they want...no matter how great they could be it was not going to turn Miles into some great X’s and O’s coach. 

31 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Dont know if the Husker fanbase is the greatest or not but I think we can all agree that the fanbase has zero to do with Miles inability to put together a consistent offense. 

People can bash on the fanbase all they want...no matter how great they could be it was not going to turn Miles into some great X’s and O’s coach. 

Yup.  I was thinking about this earlier.  I am trying to figure out if we have made any adjustment in our offense over the past 3 to 5 weeks.  Perhaps the staff made subtle changes, perhaps they believe no adjustments are necessary.  I don't know.  But the casual definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again, expecting it to change. 

34 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yup.  I was thinking about this earlier.  I am trying to figure out if we have made any adjustment in our offense over the past 3 to 5 weeks.  Perhaps the staff made subtle changes, perhaps they believe no adjustments are necessary.  I don't know.  But the casual definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing over and over again, expecting it to change. 

The bad thing is that you can make all the adjustments in the world and still look bad if the shots aren't falling.  I think the Purdue game was a great example of this.  We looked much better offensively.  Was it because we were doing something different?  It didn't look like it.  It looked more like the shots were falling.  We lost the Purdue game more on the defensive end than the offensive.

42 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

The bad thing is that you can make all the adjustments in the world and still look bad if the shots aren't falling.  I think the Purdue game was a great example of this.  We looked much better offensively.  Was it because we were doing something different?  It didn't look like it.  It looked more like the shots were falling.  We lost the Purdue game more on the defensive end than the offensive.

But here is the deal.  When we had Cope in the line up along with our other starters, we could spread the floor and the opposition had to respect all five as decent outside shooters.  That allowed us to dribble drive to the basket.  Now, we struggled with that since the beginning of January as our shooters were either missing open looks or were reluctant to take the shot.  But with Tanner or Thor or any of our other subs in the game, defenses do not need to come out and cover on the perimeter, because we struggle drawing iron on our shots.  So they sit back and clog the middle.  It just creates such a cluster.  

I guess that is my humble observation, and I have not seen any changes in our offensive philosophy.  Perhaps there have been changes, and I have simply not noticed those changes.  So we fall into this wicked dimension where our shooting woes continue to manifest, and we are clanging shots at every level.  IDK...the frustration mounts for the players, coaches and fans. 

Just now, Huskerpapa said:

But here is the deal.  When we had Cope in the line up along with our other starters, we could spread the floor and the opposition had to respect all five as decent outside shooters.  That allowed us to dribble drive to the basket.  Now, we struggled with that since the beginning of January as our shooters were either missing open looks or were reluctant to take the shot.  But with Tanner or Thor or any of our other subs in the game, defenses do not need to come out and cover on the perimeter, because we struggle drawing iron on our shots.  So they sit back and clog the middle.  It just creates such a cluster.  

I guess that is my humble observation, and I have not seen any changes in our offensive philosophy.  Perhaps there have been changes, and I have simply not noticed those changes.  So we fall into this wicked dimension where our shooting woes continue to manifest, and we are clanging shots at every level.  IDK...the frustration mounts for the players, coaches and fans. 

No, I agree that there hasn't been much change.  But, as you noted, it's going to be hard to change an offense from a three-point shooting team to trying to get easy looks at the rim when there are no easy looks at the rim.  In order to fix our looks at the rim, we are going to first have to show we can make threes.  Otherwise we won't have a drive game.  Notice how "open" Tanner was multiple times last night.  His guy camped out in the lane.

I was more saying that it is going to be tough to make a change when we can't even hit open shots in the offense that we got.

20 hours ago, demone said:

"Best" only exists to the individual and cannot be universally defined by the collective. Debating who has the "best" fans is a game that cannot be won.

Yep, pretty much. Nebraska obviously has some of the better fans in college athletics. The Huskers typically draw top 10-12 attendance in literally every major sport, men's and women's. It's pretty cool to be a fan of the Big Red, because ppl *care* about "their" team(s)!!!

GBR !!!

3 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

Did that come off a fortune cookie!? ?

Completely agree by the way.

If by "fortune cookie" you mean completely incoherent, I'll agree. Honestly, I read the words. They make no sense to me. But that's also something that fortune cookies do. Only shorter.