Nebraska Fans-the best in the country!?

jimmykc

Surprisingly, I didn't get as many down votes as anticipated. And I learned it was actually Pederson's idea to put the "best fan" label on us. To hijack my own thread just a bit on this freezing morning, what fan base truly deserves to be called "arrogant"? KU basketball must be close, although I'll vote for Duke. And , let's face it" , the new breed of all Boston fans are getting there with the exception of really old baseball fans like myself who have years of listening to Yankee fans to purge. Soccer fandom seems different from my disinterested viewpoint. They just appear deranged to me.

28 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Agreed. Im used to watching shit refs especially in the big ten it seems so it didn’t shock me at all that nothing was called but to go to the lengths to say that wasn’t a possible charge says something about the guys basketball knowledge 

I get a kick out of 'especially in the Big 10'.   There are no Big 10 or Big 12 or Big East refs.  Refs work all conferences and all conferences think they have the worst, usually when the are losing.

Every single thread about how Nebraska fans are 'the best' involves someone complaining and talking down to said fans about being horrible fans.

Dude, people express displeasure of the team losing by leaving.  Plain and simple.  Everyone left the last few Bill Callahan games because they wanted that clown gone.  That's how we show it.  

This preaching is worse than the grown man who walks around with the "Real fans stay until the end" sign like he's king of PBA.

1 hour ago, HB said:

And, perhaps the original poster doesn't give the fans enough credit.   Perhaps they were booing the gross inconsistency between allowing Fernando to stomp, prance around and utter two primal screams, and no T, when Copeland got a T for just staring at Haas after he dunked on him.  

The one time the refs didn't want to make the game about them... 

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

On TV it hardly seemed like a total flop -- Bruno is a rather large individual. I think Tanner tried to 'sell' the contact, however, which made it seem kinda floppy.

It was Fernando's elbow to Tanner's chest that made me realize it wasn't a flop but hey.

Love that Nebraska fans are the "self proclaimed" best fans in the country.  Guess when the football and basketball teams are horrible, you have to have something to pat yourself on the back about.  

There are much better fan bases than Nebraska but you can never convince anyone from inside this state of that fact.

11 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Surprisingly, I didn't get as many down votes as anticipated. And I learned it was actually Pederson's idea to put the "best fan" label on us. To hijack my own thread just a bit on this freezing morning, what fan base truly deserves to be called "arrogant"? KU basketball must be close, although I'll vote for Duke. And , let's face it" , the new breed of all Boston fans are getting there with the exception of really old baseball fans like myself who have years of listening to Yankee fans to purge. Soccer fandom seems different from my disinterested viewpoint. They just appear deranged to me.

Please throw North Carolina in there. They claim Creighton roughed them up when they played them in the NCAA. Creighton is soft and always has been. Creighton plays finesse ball. The current Nebraska team is tougher than any Creighton team that I can remember. Don't tell North Carolina fans that though... lol

9 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Love that Nebraska fans are the "self proclaimed" best fans in the country.  Guess when the football and basketball teams are horrible, you have to have something to pat yourself on the back about.  

There are much better fan bases than Nebraska but you can never convince anyone from inside this state of that fact.

Yeah, we just sold 80,000 tickets in 24 hours for a scrimmage by a team that has gone 4-8 in back to back years.   We sure do suck and there are a lot of much better fan bases doing that.

2 minutes ago, HB said:

Yeah, we just sold 80,000 tickets in 24 hours for a scrimmage by a team that has gone 4-8 in back to back years.   We sure do suck and there are a lot of much better fan bases doing that.

"Well there's nothing else going on in the cornfields out there so what else are they going to do?"

That excuse for our attendance numbers always annoys me from outsiders.

35 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

"Well there's nothing else going on in the cornfields out there so what else are they going to do?"

Seriously. I've had some really interesting forays into cornfields in my day. What's not to like? A crop that's taller than you are and almost impossible to penetrate with the naked eye? Yeah, I gotta say that in the hands of a creative person, there is nothing boring about a cornfield. 

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

And, per much of this thread, the insiders.

I agree with the OP almost completely. Leaving early is baffling. Yes some people have babysitters or something important happening, but only some people. So I can understand some people leaving but not that usual ‘mass exodus’. I guess I am a basketball-only husker fan so I look forward to every game, want to watch very minute, and when I can, drive down from Omaha in crappy weather to watch even a struggling team play. 

The mass exodus doesn’t bother me as much as Wednesday though. Arrived one minute late to a half-empty, dead-silent arena. Only a half-full student section. Could hear Turgeon from the 300 level. People booing college kids that are playing a game for our entertainment who are in a funk. Honestly, I bet our guys are passing up shots because they don’t want to hear the groans for a miss or a sarcastic cheer for a make. Disheartening. Yes there are die-hard basketball fans (anyone on this board obviously) but I think I have to face the music and realize many fans that come to the games are football fans and FAIRWEATHER basketball fans. 

I think we just should take the classic JFK approach to watching sports to heart. ‘Ask not what your team can do for you, ask what you can do for your team.’ In other words, we need to be that sixth man and pump up the players so they aren’t afraid of upsetting the fickle fans in the arena who won’t show up/leave early. 

1 hour ago, HB said:

I could be wrong, but I think this thread is more basketball oriented. It's a lot easier to label our fan base the best fans in the country for football because of the sell out streak.

22 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

I could be wrong, but I think this thread is more basketball oriented. It's a lot easier to label our fan base the best fans in the country for football because of the sell out streak.

The thread I responded too mentioned football, as did the initial post on the thread.   Many of the posts were just general posts expressing disdain for Nebraska fans generally.   

5 minutes ago, HB said:

The thread I responded too mentioned football, as did the initial post on the thread.   Many of the posts were just general posts expressing disdain for Nebraska fans generally.   

Oh ok I got what you're saying. 

My take is our fans are great because they show up in droves to sporting events. They're not greater personality-wise than any other fan base. 

Two things make the fan base exceptional: (1) no pro sports, so total focus, even obsession, on college sports (2) willingness to buy tickets, even for a losing team. So maybe we're the best in purchasing tickets.

Regarding behavior, spirit, loyalty etc., there's no way to prove who's the best and to say you are is unbelievably obnoxious. It almost disqualifies you from being the best. I've always wanted to rip down the freakin' sign.

The sign is OK, however, it you read it as the being the administration saying to us, "You guys are the best! You still buy tickets even though we frequently disappoint you!"