Nebraska Fans-the best in the country!?

jimmykc

I'm upvoting this because it's more than obviously true. I don't like population exceptionalism in any context, and the "best fans" thing is usually just some insecurity stroking by people hell bent on selling something you otherwise wouldn't buy. 

Fans are fans. Some good, some less good, some borderline psychotic and in desperate need of therapy. 

So there ya go. You got one agreement from the peanut gallery. 

I believe our fans are considered the greatest because of the consistent sheer numbers we bring to sporting events. In reality tho, our fan base is the same personality-wise as everyone else. Majority good, some overly gracious, some overly sensitive. 

If we're going to say we're the greatest fans because we're the "nicest", it's simply just not true. 

We seem to have loyal fans, who often leave early for one reason or another.  Leaving early will never be understood by me.  The fans, for the most part, seem to understand the game they are attending and they do not appear to be attending because it is the "place to be seen."  So, despite some of my negative spins on occasion, we do have a very good fan base.  Yes we do have our share of bandwagon jumpers and individuals who believe they are experts because they either played sports in HS or grade school or read a magazine article or two, or coached their kids in the Y leagues or whatever; but yeah, we are a good fan base.  But it is pretty arrogant to believe we are the best. 

I will say this, it is much easier for KU, Duke, Kentucky and the other blue blood programs to have a great fan base.  They are consistently in the NCAA tournament with trophies to prove it.  Nebraska basketball fans show up (and leave early) seemingly whether we win or lose. 

The fan di*k measuring contest gets old. I'm a better fan then you becuase I do X, Y, Z. Worry about yourself. People might leave early because they have a babysitter and need to get home, or they have work early the next day and need to get some sleep. I think the only people that care about this issue is other fans worrying about what others do with their time and money.

Not offense to you Jimmy as I like you as a poster, but if I could down vote this more than once I would.

The fanbase is the only thing this program has.  Can you imagine how awful we would be if Miles did not have the home court advantage of PBA?

It's a miracle that thru all of Miles under .500 seasons people still show up in droves.  There aren't very many fanbases that would do the same.  The fanbase is not an issue.  The product on the court is.     

58 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Thoughts after my delayed viewing of last night's debacle: 1. The mass exodus of fans reminded me of the Oklahoma State football game in Callahan's last year. 2. Even the Big10 announcers were appalled by the exodus.3. Believe me, I understand the frustration, but I have seen many college games in many venues and I have always believed the Nebraska fans were no different than most other fans-gracious when things are going good, not so much when we are losing. 4. No need to humiliate the team any more than already had been done-it wasn't getting any colder during the few minutes it takes to walk to the door. 5. We may be the best fans in America at stalking out early, though. 6. Hope I don't get too many down votes, but I have always thought calling ourselves the "best fans" was a somewhat arrogant claim.

Steve Pedersen made those claims, and had those plaques put above the entrances to Memorial Stadium. Now, if the proclamation had said "most passionate fans" I'd have no issue.....

12 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Polish Rifle: My point exactly. Fans are fans, and I'm sure we all think we are the best when we are winning. Just trying to poke the hive when mass apathy showed up this morning on HHC.

I personally haven't sensed "apathy" as much as inevitability. It is what it is, i.e. this all stinks. I still can't fathom that NU shot 21% from the field. On the opposite end of the spectrum, last night the Golden State Warriors in the 2nd half of their game against the Spurs made 24 of 25 shots, including quite a few threes. Just incredible, both the bad and the good... both last night.

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Steve Pedersen made those claims, and had those plaques put above the entrances to Memorial Stadium. Now, if the proclamation had said "most passionate fans" I'd have no issue.....

Bonded with a random Pitt fan sitting by me last night over our mutual loathing for Steve Pederson 

43 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

What's he say about Xavier Johnson?!

That's the dude that Nebrasketball could use after Cope's departure from the lineup due to injury

He's the only bright spot on their team.

His wife is from Nebraska so he didn't really follow the team. One of the first things he asked me was what happened to the team and I had to compose myself for a moment.

27 minutes ago, Tallbaby21 said:

The best fans wouldn't boo when the refs don't buy a flop. 

If you watched any college basketball you would know that once a post defender takes a shot to the chest if he falls on the second shot to the chest it’s almost always a charge. Is it a flop? Yes but it’s also a form of post defense that they are calling in favor of the defender this year.

We have one of the historically worse programs ever, have made the tournament once in the last nineteen years or so, our program has taken a nosedive with one of its most talented rosters ever and you want to criticize the fans?!  

UNL is lucky to have the basketball fans they do, anywhere else there wouldn’t be this kind of support.  

1 hour ago, Tallbaby21 said:

The best fans wouldn't boo when the refs don't buy a flop. 

I’d maybe agree... had we not gotten called for about 10+ crappy charges this season, some of them on a play just like that, prior to last night.  

If it’s a “flop” it needs to consistently be called a “flop!”

56 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

If you watched any college basketball you would know that once a post defender takes a shot to the chest if he falls on the second shot to the chest it’s almost always a charge. Is it a flop? Yes but it’s also a form of post defense that they are calling in favor of the defender this year.

And, perhaps the original poster doesn't give the fans enough credit.   Perhaps they were booing the gross inconsistency between allowing Fernando to stomp, prance around and utter two primal screams, and no T, when Copeland got a T for just staring at Haas after he dunked on him.  

5 minutes ago, HB said:

And, perhaps the original poster doesn't give the fans enough credit.   Perhaps they were booing the gross inconsistency between allowing Fernando to stomp, prance around and utter two primal screams, and no T, when Copeland got a T for just staring at Haas after he dunked on him.  

Agreed. Im used to watching shit refs especially in the big ten it seems so it didn’t shock me at all that nothing was called but to go to the lengths to say that wasn’t a possible charge says something about the guys basketball knowledge