This Next One is a Must Win

HuskerFever

This next one is a must win. The coach, that is. Here's how we fared so far in the 21st century:

2000-2006, Barry Collier

• Previous history: Butler (11 years) - 59.8% winning, NCAA: 0-3, NIT: 2-1
  • 89-91 49.4%, (36-60) 37.5%
  • 6 seasons
  • NCAA: 0-0, NIT: 1-3

2006-2012, Doc Sadler:

• Previous history: UTEP (2 years) - 72.7% winning, NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 0-1
  • 101-89 53.2%, (34-64) 34.7%
  • 6 seasons
  • NCAA: 0-0, NIT: 1-4
  • Transitioned to the Big Ten

2012-Present, Tim Miles:

• Previous history: Colorado State (5 years) - 44.7% winning, NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 0-1, CBI: 0-1
  • 110-107 50.7%, (49-70) 41.2%
  • 7 seasons (to-date)
  • NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 0-1
  • New basketball arena and state-of-the-art practice facility

So in the 2000's (19 years), we are: 300-287 51.5% (119-194) 38.0%; NCAA: 0-1, NIT: 2-8.

The combined coaching success at the previous job we hired the coaches from is: 315-238 57.0%, (146-115) 55.9%; NCAA: 0-5, NIT: 2-3, CBI: 0-1.

This "new" arena is turning 6 years old later this year and, although our fan base has been getting Top 15 attendance in the NCAA since the new arena was build, they're obviously growing weary about the direction of this program right now. We need a winner. We need someone who knows how to build a program and win a game in the tournament.

We’re a football school that hasn’t been good at football for 18 years.

We have an AD that has apparently drawn the ire of some major boosters and whose last basketball hire was completely uninspiring.

We are on the verge of having our eleventh losing season in the last twenty years, have never won a tournament game, have derailed the coaching career of everybody that’s been here, and might not return anybody next year who averaged more than 2 points a game.

Other than that........

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

10 minutes ago, ConkTrifecta3 said:

Needs to be someone who has done it.

Kevin Stallings

Steve Alford

Kelvin Sampson

Mark Gottfried

Bruce Weber

I don’t see why Weber or Sampson would ever want to come here. And stallings was a huge disaster at Pitt. 

No no one has thrown out gottfried tho, that’s an interesting name 

14 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

I don’t see why Weber or Sampson would ever want to come here. And stallings was a huge disaster at Pitt. 

No no one has thrown out gottfried tho, that’s an interesting name 

Last salary update for Sampson at Houston I saw had him around $1.6M.   We can more than double that if we want

All I'm saying is that Oklahoma finished 18-14 last year with a losing record in the Big 12 and a KenPom rating of 48. Our season isn't necessarily over, unless this team simply is incapable of going at least .500 with an upset or two during its last 8 games. Sorry to provide hope, maybe it's better psychologically for everyone to give up.

49 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

All I'm saying is that Oklahoma finished 18-14 last year with a losing record in the Big 12 and a KenPom rating of 48. Our season isn't necessarily over, unless this team simply is incapable of going at least .500 with an upset or two during its last 8 games. Sorry to provide hope, maybe it's better psychologically for everyone to give up.

It's a good point. I struggle to see how, but we are still near the cut line in many brackets. Our level of play flipped in January, suddenly and for unknown reasons. If it flips back, we'll be in the tournament.

Another thing to think about is that we’ll most likely be playing on Wednesday in the Big 10 tourney.  With how strong the Big 10 is and it being a neutral site game, that’ll give us a good chance at a Quad 2 win on day 1.  Win that one and you move on to day two where sometimes the teams who didn’t play day 1 struggle.  Day 2 is most likely a Quad 1 but for sure a Quad 2.  Win 4 games down the stretch... win a few in the Big 10 tourney... ya never know.

With that said, something is going to have to completely turn around both mentally and in our game if we expect to win more than 1-2 more.  I’ve said it before... we set ourselves up with a good Non-Con to have a bad conference record.  We just can’t win 3 conference games.  Gotta get to 8 before the Big 10 tourney or 7 and 2 in the Big 10 tourney.

Edited by hskr4life

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

But we didn't have an overhyped player that ESPN and the rest of the media was drooling over.

I don't think that's an equal comparison. Oklahoma was going to make the  tournament one way or another just for that coverage. The committee also factors in injuries in some capacity, I'm not sure how, so the team we have now in February is somehow evaluated for the tournament differently than the team we had before Copeland's injury.

Arizona State might be a better team to compare to last season. But that team, despite crawling to the finish line, still found a way to get to 20 wins.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

Those teams also had a handful of high quality wins too.   As of right now, we don't.   Indiana has fallen apart.   Clemson, Seton Hall and Creighton are serviceable, but they need to finish strong.   Don't think any of those 4 teams are in the NCAA if it started today

Well, I tried.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Another thing to think about is that we’ll most likely be playing on Wednesday in the Big 10 tourney.  With how strong the Big 10 is and it being a neutral site game, that’ll give us a good chance at a Quad 2 win on day 1.  Win that one and you move on to day two where sometimes the teams who didn’t play day 1 struggle.  Day 2 is most likely a Quad 1 but for sure a Quad 2.  Win 4 games down the stretch... win a few in the Big 10 tourney... ya never know.

With that said, something is going to have to completely turn around both mentally and in our game if we expect to win more than 1-2 more.  I’ve said it before... we set ourselves up with a good Non-Con to have a bad conference record.  We just can’t win 3 conference games.  Gotta get to 8 before the Big 10 tourney or 7 and 2 in the Big 10 tourney.

I'll give you credit, you are easily the most optimistic Nebrasketball fan I have ever come across. This team is in a complete downward spiral, and you're talking about getting the pleasure of a chance of an extra Quad 1 win in the first round of the B1G tourney simply because we've played like crap in the regular season. And what "good non-con"? Turns out all the teams we beat aren't even NCAA tourney teams. Our non-con strength of schedule based on the NET team sheets is ranked #237. That is awful. 

14 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

We’re a football school that hasn’t been good at football for 18 years.

We have an AD that has apparently drawn the ire of some major boosters and whose last basketball hire was completely uninspiring.

We are on the verge of having our eleventh losing season in the last twenty years, have never won a tournament game, have derailed the coaching career of everybody that’s been here, and might not return anybody next year who averaged more than 2 points a game.

Other than that........

I know that you were trying to make a strong point, but we haven't derailed careers.  Joe Cipriano died.  Moe walked out mad at the media and others and soon became head coach at TCU.  Barry sort of left on his own and became AD at Butler.  Doc landed on his feet as an assistant coach and then got a head coaching gig at Southern Mississippi and he seems very happy.  When he got there, it was not a pretty program, but he seemed to like the challenge of rebuilding that program.  And if I were a betting man, Coach Miles will land in a pretty good spot as well.   

6 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

I'll give you credit, you are easily the most optimistic Nebrasketball fan I have ever come across. This team is in a complete downward spiral, and you're talking about getting the pleasure of a chance of an extra Quad 1 win in the first round of the B1G tourney simply because we've played like crap in the regular season. And what "good non-con"? Turns out all the teams we beat aren't even NCAA tourney teams. Our non-con strength of schedule based on the NET team sheets is ranked #237. That is awful. 

I'll take that as a comment.  It's a lot better than thinking about the alternative... even if the alternative is more likely at this point.  Besides, I feel it would be pretty hypocritical of me to talk bad about players and coaches giving up... if I am also giving up.  Growing up, I was always taught that I go hard until the end and to never give up.  I might lose every game, but the only thing worse than losing is giving up.

In reference to the good non-con comment, I was more pointing to the fact that we had just 1 loss.  Yes the SOS is bleak, but going 11-1 or whatever it was is a hell of a lot better at a #237 SOS than losing 1-2 more games and still having the #237 SOS.

Edited by hskr4life

52 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

False. 

OK, I'll bite.  When in the last 18 years has Nebraska been good at football?  0 conference titles, 0 major bowl appearances.  Only a few conference title game appearances, despite splitting time in two of the worst divisions (BXII North, B1G West) in Power 5 football.  Obviously "good at football" is subjective, but that's a crap resume unless you've got Kansas or Wake Forest level standards.

22 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

OK, I'll bite.  When in the last 18 years has Nebraska been good at football?  0 conference titles, 0 major bowl appearances.  Only a few conference title game appearances, despite splitting time in two of the worst divisions (BXII North, B1G West) in Power 5 football.  Obviously "good at football" is subjective, but that's a crap resume unless you've got Kansas or Wake Forest level standards.

For a 7 year period:

1. Won a minimum of 9 games at a 70% clip.

2. Played in 3 Conf Champ game

3. Played in a Bowl game for 7 straight years with 4 of those being Jan 1 Bowl games (Jan 1 is a major bowl).

4. Finished in the top 25 in coaches poll in 6 of those years and AP poll 5 of those years.

By any standard that is better than good football.

24 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

For a 7 year period:

1. Won a minimum of 9 games at a 70% clip.

2. Played in 3 Conf Champ game

3. Played in a Bowl game for 7 straight years with 4 of those being Jan 1 Bowl games (Jan 1 is a major bowl).

4. Finished in the top 25 in coaches poll in 6 of those years and AP poll 5 of those years.

By any standard that is better than good football.

I dare someone to say that this wasn't good at football after watching the immediate successor and pre-cessor to these seven years.  Like Pelini or not, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.  We never did anything magical in his time here, but also never did anything program changing in a bad way either.