uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 11; ed 23 - vs Maryland

uneblinstu

I think the team looks fatigued. Crushed from the weight of lofty expectations and not being able to meet them. They should’ve drowned out the outside noise and just balled. 

But woulda, coulda, shoulda- I feel so sick right now for the players and the coaches. Unfortunately, i think reality has set in for those in the program that it’s coming to an end. And that fellas, sucks. Sucks because it means we didn’t meet expectations and have a season up to our potential, and i hope and pray the new guy pans out. Been doing it since the late 80’s...

57 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Glynn has looked completed uninspired. This team is a shell of its former self. That game tonight was simply brutal. Unequivocally unwatchable.

The team is deflated man, Glynn wants it as bad as anyone else does. Probably more. But at this point we don’t have enough to beat a good team like Maryland or even lesser teams than them and the team knows it. He has a lot of heart and is one of the few who has stuck by Miles the whole way. I don’t feel like calling him out is fair or going to change anything at this point. 

I feel bad for the players and I feel bad for Tim Miles and his staff. I know they all came here when they could have gone elsewhere and they came to here to win and do special things and sometimes things don't work out the way we hope. I still love this team and the coaching staff and I will always be a husker hoops fan! These kids came here and stuck it out and I hope the future is bright for the whole team. Not sure where we go from here but if any of the coaches or players read this, I for one want to say thanks for coming to Nebraska and giving us everything you had and more. Best of luck to all of you guys and again I hope the future is awesome for every one of you guys!!! GBR!!!

I feel no different than I did last night.  I guess I am unable to "will" the team to a win.  I am sorry, others will likely disagree, but I just did not see this offensive implosion happening.   Seeing the emotion from Coach Miles after the game, is heartbreaking.  The team cares; the players, coaches and supporting cast appear to be trying; perhaps too much.  I don't know, I really don't know.

I guess we will find out about true fans the last few weeks.  True fans will show up and cheer on the team.  True story, my son told me about a family friend who did not go to the game last night because he had given up on the team.  Come on man!  This is when the team needs you the most...not when they are winning.  I can be mad and upset and the myriad of other emotions that rattle around in my brain, but abandoning your team when they are struggling is NOT the answer.  

2 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I feel no different than I did last night.  I guess I am unable to "will" the team to a win.  I am sorry, others will likely disagree, but I just did not see this offensive implosion happening.   Seeing the emotion from Coach Miles after the game, is heartbreaking.  The team cares; the players, coaches and supporting cast appear to be trying; perhaps too much.  I don't know, I really don't know.

We were the 5th team this year to hold Maryland under a point per possession 

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We were the 5th team this year to hold Maryland under a point per possession 

If we shot at the same FG clip as Maryland, we'd have around 64 points and it would be an entirely different game.

I can't imagine too many teams these days lose a game where you hold your opponent to 60 points. Our shots need to start dropping at some point.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Something was off about this team a couple games BEFORE Cope got hurt. His unfortunate injury just accelerated their down spiral. Very unfortunate bc on paper they are talented. But something is missing or not clicking. Could be one thing, could be lots of things.

Agree completely.

I think the MSU loss broke them.  The answers and body language in the presser from both coach and players showed me that they lost more than the game - I think they put too much emphasis on that single game (i.e., home winning streak, big name opponent, marquee win...).  Yeah, it was hugely disappointing, but it stuck with them going forward.

Copeland's injury just put the final nail in the coffin.  Right now, I'm hard-pressed to find another win on the schedule, unless they find some way to break out of the shooting slump, which I don't see happening because there are no consistent scorers, the offense is terrible/non-existent and I think the starters are gassed physically and mentally (beyond the horrendous FG%, just look at the poor free throw shooting lately).  Opposing defenses generally only have to shut down 1 or maybe 2 guys that have even a chance of scoring.  Once they figure out who they need to stop/contain, it's game over.  Even with Copeland, because of the MSU game fallout, I would've only predicted finishing somewhere between 6 and 8 conference wins.

9 hours ago, Omahusker said:

The team is deflated man, Glynn wants it as bad as anyone else does. Probably more. But at this point we don’t have enough to beat a good team like Maryland or even lesser teams than them and the team knows it. He has a lot of heart and is one of the few who has stuck by Miles the whole way. I don’t feel like calling him out is fair or going to change anything at this point. 

Oh I agree, Glynn's a really good dude. I find no solace in explaining Nebrasketball failure due to Watson's struggles but he is a leader on this team & when the leader is not performing it sucks for everybody.

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

I guess we will find out about true fans the last few weeks.  True fans will show up and cheer on the team.  True story, my son told me about a family friend who did not go to the game last night because he had given up on the team.  Come on man!  This is when the team needs you the most...not when they are winning.  I can be mad and upset and the myriad of other emotions that rattle around in my brain, but abandoning your team when they are struggling is NOT the answer.  

That sums it up, papa. IDK what the heck is going on. I hate blaming players but when the leader of the team plays all but 1 min 23 sec and doesn't do *anything in the whole game, I guess I have a problem. There's no backup PG, either. It just pisses me off that Xavier Johnson got away. That's dude is so, so good. Ughh! Why does being a Nebrasketball fan suck so much (at times). It doesn't stop me from continuing to root on the team, though. I hope that they pull out of the doldrums and kick it in high gear, there's still 8 games left. And, on a good note, I was more than pleased to see Glynn getting up shots after everyone left the arena. I can respect the fight in the leader of the team to pull out of this mini-slump. Something good is bound to happen to him, I'm hoping real soon. Glynn's a really good dude.

2 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

That sums it up, papa. IDK what the heck is going on. I hate blaming players but when the leader of the team plays all but 1 min 23 sec and doesn't do *anything in the whole game, I guess I have a problem.

How many points does Cowan usually score, how many did he score last night, and who was guarding him?

watson shot not going to get better if shooting with sidespin and wrong form.  Needs a coach with him to explain what tweeks are needed.  We clearly don't have good shooting coaches.  I also wonder if we are on the wrong lifting program.  It is mind boggling how our shooters get worse in their time here so often.  Rarely do they improve, and that should happen with almost everyone.  

47 minutes ago, royalfan said:

watson shot not going to get better if shooting with sidespin and wrong form.  Needs a coach with him to explain what tweeks are needed.  We clearly don't have good shooting coaches.  I also wonder if we are on the wrong lifting program.  It is mind boggling how our shooters get worse in their time here so often.  Rarely do they improve, and that should happen with almost everyone.  

Actually both Glynn and James seem to have altered their shots and foot positioning since the beginning of the season.  I am not sure why, and I am unsure why they haven't seen it on film.  But you are 1000% right.  If you are practicing bad habits, then you are reinforcing those bad habits.  You have change the behavior or habit, and then reinforce those changes.  

On another note, what has happened to our player spacing.  We seem so clogged up, that any drive to the key is a mucked up mess.