uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 11; ed 22- Illinois

Bugeaters1

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to uneblinstu's post game chatter: Vol 11; ed 22- Illinois
9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I thought that since no one has started this thread I would. I didn't watch the game after the first 5 minutes. sounds like I didn't miss much. Has the team quit on Miles? or has it quit on itself?

I think "quit" is an oversimplification.   My take is we wilted under the weight of rare high expectations.   Really took a toll on this group and you could see 3 weeks ago things were drastically wrong and no fun was being had.    At this point, unfortunately, it reminds me of 2017 football.   Everyone knows how it's going to end, but we have to play out the string and it is really hard to watch it unfold.   We were in deep trouble before the Copeland injury, but now we're rolling out only 4-5 legitimate Big 12 players (and at least 2 of those are in horrible slumps), and that isn't enough.   I think they're still trying, in the abstract, but it's a mess.   

I am not sure we have quit, we just seem like we have no control on offense.  Could be spacing, could be bad shot selection, it could be hesitation, it could be poor fundamentals or bad habits, it could be a lot of things.  But if I see us pass up one more open look and then dribble into a turnover, I think I may commit harakiri, skipakiri or perhaps seppuku!

Crash Truck GIF - Crash Truck GIFs

During this five-game losing streak, from beyond the arc and FG overall:

• MSU: 5-26 (19 percent); 22-67 (33 percent)
  • RU: 9-22 (41 percent); 25-60 (42 percent)
  • OSU: 8-22 (36 percent); 21-58 (36 percent)
  • UW: 4-20 (20 percent); 17-60 (28 percent)
  • UI: 3-23 (13 percent); 25-70 (36 percent)

Overall: 29-113 (25.7 percent); 110-315 (34.9 percent)

In the NCAA statistics, the worst-shooting team in America — for the entire season — is Delaware State at 35.1 percent. So in our last five games, we've shot worse from the field than the Mighty Hornets.

The worst three-point-shooting team in America — for the entire season — is Jackson State at 25.5 percent. Next to last is East Carolina at 26.4 percent. 

In other words, by those measures over the past five games, we are the worst-shooting team in America. That's out of 351 Division I programs.

That's what frustrates me about watching Iowa. They may have some shortcomings, but every single one of their players knows how to put the ball in the basket. And that's the point, right?

42 minutes ago, jayschool said:

In the NCAA statistics, the worst-shooting team in America — for the entire season — is Delaware State at 35.1 percent. So in our last five games, we've shot worse from the field than the Mighty Hornets.

The worst three-point-shooting team in America — for the entire season — is Jackson State at 25.5 percent. Next to last is East Carolina at 26.4 percent. 

In other words, by those measures over the past five games, we are the worst-shooting team in America. That's out of 351 Division I programs.

That's what frustrates me about watching Iowa. They may have some shortcomings, but every single one of their players knows how to put the ball in the basket. And that's the point, right?

I'm going to piggyback on your thoughts and add that it seems every other team I watch (and the ones we play) catch passes in rhythm and shoot the jumper or 3 pointer.  We rarely catch passes in rhythm, and when we do, we hardly ever go up right away with a shot. To me, that's one of our biggest issues. When we have a rhythm shot opportunity, our guys tend to hesitate or use a worthless dribble that goes nowhere. Allen, Nana, and Roby are particularly bad at this.

5 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

I'm going to piggyback on your thoughts and add that it seems every other team I watch (and the ones we play) catch passes in rhythm and shoot the jumper or 3 pointer.  We rarely catch passes in rhythm, and when we do, we hardly ever go up right away with a shot. To me, that's one of our biggest issues. When we have a rhythm shot opportunity, our guys tend to hesitate or use a worthless dribble that goes nowhere. Allen, Nana, and Roby are particularly bad at this.

Triple threat position? And the option the Huskers usually go to is the dribble like you said.

Edited by rr52

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

Addendum:

During the five-game losing streak, as I noted:

• we are shooting 25.7 percent from 3 (would be 350th of 351 teams if it was drawn out over an entire season)
  • we are shooting 34.9 percent overall from the field (351st of 351 teams over an entire season) AND
  • we are shooting 59.0 percent from the line (59-100, which would make us 350th for the season — Manhattan is the worst at 55.8, but Bethune-Cookman is currently 350th at 59.4 percent)

Historically bad shooting. 

33 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Historically bad shooting. 

Yikes. That's worse than I even thought. No wonder the staff is at a loss. 

But still a large part of those misses is bad shot selection and bad technique. I couldn't believe how many unnecessary step-back threes we were taking against Illinois. Hopefully they can drill out of that somewhat. 

2 minutes ago, tcp said:

Yikes. That's worse than I even thought. No wonder the staff is at a loss. 

But still a large part of those misses is bad shot selection and bad technique. I couldn't believe how many unnecessary step-back threes we were taking against Illinois. Hopefully they can drill out of that somewhat. 

It also should tell us that, if this team starts to heat up, we can still make something of this season.  The Copeland injury hurts, but if we start to shoot better, we will be in a great position to win most of our remaining games.  

I'm still in the boat that the guys are as much in their own heads right now as an offense doesn't provide good shots.  

I had this thought last night and this thread brought it to mind again. As we've noted, our 3-point shooting is dreadful. But we refuse to take anything other than a 3 or something at the rim. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Miles spend a lot of time telling us that this year would be different, this team would be different because he WANTED them to get the 3 up as often as possible rather than his "love the rim, like the 3" philosophy of years past? 

1 minute ago, demone said:

I had this thought last night and this thread brought it to mind again. As we've noted, our 3-point shooting is dreadful. But we refuse to take anything other than a 3 or something at the rim. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Miles spend a lot of time telling us that this year would be different, this team would be different because he WANTED them to get the 3 up as often as possible rather than his "love the rim, like the 3" philosophy of years past? 

I thought he said "no more long 2s", but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

2 minutes ago, demone said:

And, the "real great" news about the putrid three-point shooting (and overall) is that Nebrasketball is among the worst in the country lately at shooting 'at the rim'........ when it rains, it pours. But, NU can not "make it rain" so to speak. It's a conundrum. Wrapped in an enigma. Shrouded with mystery. ;)

24 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And, the "real great" news about the putrid three-point shooting (and overall) is that Nebrasketball is among the worst in the country lately at shooting 'at the rim'........ when it rains, it pours. But, NU can not "make it rain" so to speak. It's a conundrum. Wrapped in an enigma. Shrouded with mystery. ;)

and served with a fine chianti and a delicious raccoon poop sauce. 

4 hours ago, jason2486 said:

Lack of confidence. Soft. That's what's enfuriating.

It's like when you're trying to find a girlfriend; women are attracted by confidence, and you'll never win anything without it.

This team shows NONE. Pathetic limp d*ck mindset.

22 hours ago, HB said:

I think "quit" is an oversimplification.   My take is we wilted under the weight of rare high expectations.   Really took a toll on this group and you could see 3 weeks ago things were drastically wrong and no fun was being had.    At this point, unfortunately, it reminds me of 2017 football.   Everyone knows how it's going to end, but we have to play out the string and it is really hard to watch it unfold.   We were in deep trouble before the Copeland injury, but now we're rolling out only 4-5 legitimate Big 12 players (and at least 2 of those are in horrible slumps), and that isn't enough.   I think they're still trying, in the abstract, but it's a mess.   

Agreed on the first bold.

Disagree on second bold. We haven't been blown out in a game during this stretch like that team was.

You'll know when this team has quit when we are losing games by 20+pts.

This team is struggling but I don't think they have quit...at least not yet.

What we need is to have something good to happen. We can get it started this Wednesday.

What will the crowd be like on Wednesday? Fan base is hanging by a thread right now.

When Kipper "F-ing" Nichols scores around 20 points on near perfect shooting after not scoring the previous 5 games, you know you've got a problem.  He's really not a very good b-ball player.

I thought Tanner had a great game.  The Stooges finally let him play a little bit.  He's just not an offensive threat outside of three feet from the basket.

Maybe they should just let him and Brady shoot wide open 3's.  It seems to work for the opponents - their bigs have made several 3's against NU the past few games.  You know, like, first attempted and made 3 of career (or year as the case may be).

57 minutes ago, NUtball said:

When Kipper "F-ing" Nichols scores around 20 points on near perfect shooting after not scoring the previous 5 games, you know you've got a problem.  He's really not a very good b-ball player.

I thought Tanner had a great game.  The Stooges finally let him play a little bit.  He's just not an offensive threat outside of three feet from the basket.

Maybe they should just let him and Brady shoot wide open 3's.  It seems to work for the opponents - their bigs have made several 3's against NU the past few games.  You know, like, first attempted and made 3 of career (or year as the case may be).

Nichols is exactly the guy you leave open to make him beat you. Problem is, he did. We didn't adjust to the hot hand thing with Illinois quickly. But help defenses are going to leave people open. Bad shooters are bait. In this game, the bait fought back and won. 

12 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I read a stat that said Miles had beaten ONE Power 5 (6) school that had a >0.500 conference record in the last 53 games. Not sure how accurate that is, but it can't be too far off.

I did the research:

• Since Tim's been here, he's won 60 games against Power 6 Conference teams (Pac 12, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big East).
  • At the time of the game, the number of teams that were at or above 0.500 in their conference is 17 (This excludes 11 non-conference games as those teams did not have a conference game recorded yet. It also excludes the 2 Big Ten opener W's when the opponent was 0-0).
  • At the end of the season, the number of teams that were at or above 0.500 in their conference is 15 (This excludes the 7 wins from this season as the season isn't over yet).

To reference your particular stat:

• In the last 2 seasons (55 games), he's won 21 games against Power 6 Conference teams (Pac 12, Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big East).
  • At the time of the game, the number of teams that were at or above 0.500 in their conference is 7 (This excludes 5 non-conference games as those teams did not have a conference game recorded yet. It also excludes 1 Big Ten opener W when the opponent was 0-0).
  • At the end of the season, the number of teams that were at or above 0.500 in their conference is 3 (This excludes the 7 wins from this season as the season isn't over yet).
Edited by Shawn Eichorst's Toupee
Made formatting more consistent between bullets