Who stays

Crush78

If we have a coaching change, who do you think we stay?

My best guess:

Stays

Heiman - Stays home

Davis - already burned rs, probably not much interest from others with injury history

Burke - not going to want to sit another year

Maybe

Thor - Seems to engaged, but could go back home easily

Allen - New coach will probably beg him to stay, dont know if it will work

Harris & Antenken - Doubtful, depends on if they like new coach & vice versa. Also if they are willing to go to a mid major, which is the only ones who would go for them.

Gone

Roby - why go through overhaul for 1 year when you are hearing late 1st, early 2nd round nba grades

Recruits

Arop might come, Green & Adams-Woods head elsewhere 

22 minutes ago, Crush78 said:

My best guess:

Stays

Heiman - Stays home

Davis - already burned rs, probably not much interest from others with injury history

Maybe

Harris & Antenken - Doubtful, depends on if they like new coach & vice versa. Also if they are willing to go to a mid major, which is the only ones who would go for them.

Gone

Roby - why go through overhaul for 1 year when you are hearing late 1st, early 2nd round nba grades

Recruits

You are assuming a lot. lets see how this plays out.

I'll tell you what: if a new hire can't get most players to stay, you probably just hired the wrong guy. So there's that. 

I may be misremembering an article on this subject I read some time ago, but I believe it said the retention rate after coaching changes was pretty high for players invested in a college for more than a year. That's because they have other reasons to stay than just sports. 

Usually the big vulnerability is recruits. And I'll say this upfront: I don't think our class is so precious that we can't afford to burn most of it if that was an issue. After all, your expectation is that new coach will be better, so let them prove it early. 

I just don't worry about player retention for coaching changes. Usually there are much bigger fish to fry. 

We will more than likely lose all three recruits as well as Roby and Allen.   I think Akenten is gone either way just from his body language the last couple games.

So we will have Heiman, Davis, Burke and Thor left, as well as the walkon's.   Harris I don't have a opinion on as of now.  So we could have 5 players + walkon's.

If that is the case, since most of the better players signed in November, we will have some leftovers to pick from which will mean that 2021-2022 will be the next 

time we could have a team that could get into the upper 2/3 of the BIG.

Edited by twinswingohuskers

Green has one other power 5 offer reported by rivals - TCU.

Arop has zero other power 5 offers.

Adams-Woods has one other power 5 offer reported by rivals - Georgia Tech.

I think even with a coaching change we would remain in the top 3 option for all 3 of them, if they want to play power 5 basketball. Also we have to consider than 2 of them are already playing basketball in the state of Nebraska. It wouldn't be farfetched to think a new coach would be able to retain 2 of them. 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Green has one other power 5 offer reported by rivals - TCU.

Arop has zero other power 5 offers.

Adams-Woods has one other power 5 offer reported by rivals - Georgia Tech.

I think even with a coaching change we would remain in the top 3 option for all 3 of them, if they want to play power 5 basketball. Also we have to consider than 2 of them are already playing basketball in the state of Nebraska. It wouldn't be farfetched to think a new coach would be able to retain 2 of them. 

A new coach might not want to retain all of them, too... obviously almost anyone that comes on will have been building other relationships. 

It all depends on who we bring in. I feel like Thomas Allen will stay because he'll be the 2/3 best player on the team next year. Two Nebraska kids I feel like have a good chance to stay. Mika will be tricky. 

I think Nana transfers to a lower conference to where he can shine. Thor will be interesting, especially if his minutes keep increasing. Amir is only a freshman and still has room to grow. 

I want to see who they bring in before I fully speculate. That's what I think might happen though

3 hours ago, Crush78 said:

My best guess:

Stays

Heiman - Stays home

Maybe

Gone

Recruits

Rose colored glasses here but hopefully we are able to talk Allen into staying( liked what I saw today while he was point, and really like what he could be next year as the starting point)

robys either coming back or grad transferring out if he has the option. Hopefully whoever we bring in sells him on catering the offense to him in hopes of upping his draft stock and he buys in.

Arop has no where else to go(Creighton told him to go to prep school I think). If we kept green it would be a home run. Woods is gonna blow up I think. 

Heiman,Davis,Thor all come back I think. 

Not sure how the whole waiver thing would work with Burke.

Also not sure on nana or Harris, neither had a whole lotta offers coming outta high school that I know of. 

You would imagine whatever coach we bring in would have some recruits potentially following him as well. The guy I’m advocating for T.J otzelberger has three guys committed that I’d take for sure.  

4 hours ago, Crush78 said:

My best guess:

Stays

Heiman - Stays home

Maybe

Gone

Recruits

Who cares.    Hire a good coach for a change and it takes care of itself 

7 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

already heard that players from a couple blue blood schools have reached out to roby about transferring to their school for 1 year.

it's going to be a full rebuild if roby leaves. not looking forward to it. 

Are you telling me that other schools are actually telling Roby how good he could be if only he knew??