Nebraska (13-8) vs. Illinois (6-15) Game thread

Bugeaters1

2 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Watson has been a real trooper for this program. Probably the reason some of you became fans even. But this program will be better when he’s not our PG. he’s lost all confidence that he once had. Shocking how good he was as a sophomore to what he is now. 

I think part of this comes from us not having any leadership on our team. It sounds all fluffy and nice to hear that our team gels, but nobody has stepped up to take this team to new heights. I'd even go to lengths to say Borchardt is a better leader of this team than our starting 5 has been.

9 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'd even go to lengths to say Borchardt is a better leader of this team than our starting 5 has been.

He’s our hardest working and most consistent player we have as well. How in the flying **** do you not see this in practice. Why has he not been given 20 minutes a game all year. Why has Thor, who yes I can see is a step slow and probably not a big ten athlete not been part of the rotation, he works his ass off out there.  I’m not even upset we lost st this point(sign of where we are unfortunately headed) I am beyond frustrated that miles didn’t identify these things months ago 

59 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Watson has been a real trooper for this program. Probably the reason some of you became fans even. But this program will be better when he’s not our PG. he’s lost all confidence that he once had. Shocking how good he was as a sophomore to what he is now. 

Glynn had a terrific first half of the season. He had his shot. He was running the team like a machine. 

This isn't about one player just sucking after not sucking. This is a team problem. And they'll solve it or not as a team. But Glynn was having a hella year up until the January blitzkrieg. 

6 minutes ago, tcp said:

Glynn had a terrific first half of the season. He had his shot. He was running the team like a machine. 

This isn't about one player just sucking after not sucking. This is a team problem. And they'll solve it or not as a team. But Glynn was having a hella year up until the January blitzkrieg. 

They aren’t going to solve it. AND By no means do I think it’s all glens fault either If that was how it came off was just stating how far his game has fallen off. This team has way more issues then just its PG

36 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

They aren’t going to solve it. AND By no means do I think it’s all glens fault either If that was how it came off was just stating how far his game has fallen off. This team has way more issues then just its PG

I interpreted it as suggesting he's sucked all year after being better before. 

Now if you're saying his games plunged just this season, I doubt anyone would argue with that. But even then it's still only really been the last 3 weeks where he's struggled badly, I think. He had a terrific November and December. 

5 hours ago, RogDodge said:

I have been going to games for decades, sat through {and paid for} thick and thin.  Some coaches just can’t teach winning.  We have one of those now.  Thought it 3 years ago, and it is confirmed.  

I felt that way after Petteway's last year. Not saying we could/should have fired him them, but lost faith after that season.

5 hours ago, tcp said:

lol Damn, Spurs, that's way too harsh! We've had several players better than they started. In any event, this team has raced backwards all crazy like. Even I'm a bit stunned at the speed of the regression. 

I've had this debate with others ... there aren't many. Most people would said Tai and I'd say he only "flourished" once everyone else was gone and he HAD to score. I think prior to then Miles mind-f'ed him into sucking on some level. David Rivers is maybe one I thought got better, but again he practically HAD to play.

Glynn Watson had a pretty good start to the season ... looked ready to lead and improve on some level. I prefer more leadership at PG however. Too often if his offense is off he carries himself very poorly and doesn't focus on what he can do to help as much as he could. To me that's not leadership, especially in a 4 year starter. Some of this comes from lack of leadership and direction from his coach as well imho.

Maybe Borchardt and Thor look so (relatively) good because they're some of the few guys playing who haven't been driven into the ground via high numbers of minutes? But I agree the hustle and spark they are bringing help.

Anyone concerned about people not returning or coming because of Miles ... I think the opposite is true. If Miles were to return I think less would want to stay. We may lose some recruits but you can't keep a coach just because of that fear. If Miles is as poor of a coach as I believe, then does it matter if we lose solid recruits? He's been after some local guys but it's a lot easier to focus on that when you have a hunch you may be coaching on borrowed time.

Miles had success with the transfer market early by the surprising NCAA bid and I think it led him to focus on that as an identity too much. Of course everyone has to play that game on some level these days. Too often he seemed to be grasping at straws. Heck, even this year at the beginning he was talking about needing his players to shoot threes whenever they wanted because ... ANALYTICS! I know what the analytics say, but that seemed insane with this team and lack of true shooters (when was the last time we had one btw? I think Allen is ...). And then we seemed to abandon that ... it's almost like Miles doesn't know what the heck he's doing ... wow, could that be it?

I know people talk about not wanting to rebuild, etc but to be honest next year wasn't looking like a breakout season either way. Tides can turn with just a few players in college basketball. There aren't so many long rebuilds. Moos set himself up to not have to make a huge payout to fire Miles. Our facilities are still great and fan support is there for the taking. There's no better time than to take our best shot at a coach now. Osborne on some level was too conservative and cheap to take a swing. He's not exactly a great hire-r as an AD.

Looking forward to what the future may bring!

3 hours ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

He’s our hardest working and most consistent player we have as well. How in the flying **** do you not see this in practice. Why has he not been given 20 minutes a game all year. Why has Thor, who yes I can see is a step slow and probably not a big ten athlete not been part of the rotation, he works his ass off out there.  I’m not even upset we lost st this point(sign of where we are unfortunately headed) I am beyond frustrated that miles didn’t identify these things months ago 

Monthish ago we were 11-2 with wins over Seton, Clemson, Creighton, and OKST.  No one was complaining then.  It’s easy to look at things after Cope went down and ask why those two aren’t getting more time.

3 hours ago, tcp said:

Agreed.  Everyone’s wheels fell off in January.

7 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Monthish ago we were 11-2 with wins over Seton, Clemson, Creighton, and OKST.  No one was complaining then.  It’s easy to look at things after Cope went down and ask why those two aren’t getting more time.

Things started going down before Copeland was out. That's the concerning part.