Nebraska (13-8) vs. Illinois (6-15) Game thread

Bugeaters1

Just now, HuskerFever said:

Little did we know that the biggest turning point for Nebraska was Craig Smith leaving.

Still don't buy that one. Last year's team really was tourney worthy. The quadrant thing killed them. And I still think we have a good staff. I'm just not sure how much influence they actually have. 

1 minute ago, tcp said:

Still don't buy that one. Last year's team really was tourney worthy. The quadrant thing killed them. And I still think we have a good staff. I'm just not sure how much influence they actually have. 

This is true. I just felt like Craig had a good coaching eye for in-game situations. You're right, let's not overshadow the work that the current staff has done and Miles trying to fill all these unexpected gaps for both the staff and players, but it seems to have caught up to him at our most vulnerable/thin roster.

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Then please explain what we do?  More drills?  Tell them to have confidence?  There’s only so much a coach can do.  A coach can put them in a position to succeed through a solid offense.  I’ll agree with y’all there.  But when it comes to putting the ball in the hoop... what more can a coach do?

This is part of it, knocking down a couple open looks can get people going. Not a lot of open looks when your offense is stagnant and 4/5 of your team is standing around. Good coaches can help players have a short memory as well, you don't see good teams let 1 bad game ruin their season. We've been letting losses compound for weeks. 

1 minute ago, hskr4life said:

Then please explain what we do?  More drills?  Tell them to have confidence?  There’s only so much a coach can do.  A coach can put them in a position to succeed through a solid offense.  I’ll agree with y’all there.  But when it comes to putting the ball in the hoop... what more can a coach do?

A coach can know a 3-2 defense can be attached with a 2-1-2 offense.  I watched us match up with 5 guys around the perimeter two straight possessions and shoot a 40 footer at the buzzer.  Any decently coached offensive team has the ability to recognize zone defense and run a go-to set against it.  Well coached offensive teams can’t generally be defended with a zone at all.  We get murdered by zone every time.  

1 minute ago, hhcdave said:

Over/under 3.5 more wins this year. You going over or under? 

If they get blown out here, I'd have to say we'll be lucky to win 2 more the rest of the way. I think their talent will have an orgasm once or twice and they'll just get one or two. But mentally, these guys are just not up to the challenge of going against the brutality of this schedule. Tough teams win in this conference even more than talented ones do. 

Just now, nustudent said:

End it.  

Let Lewis finish it 

Would be an interesting experiment. I've liked Lewis for awhile. But it's the only way that an assistant gets a look is to be an interim and I'm not sure Moos is that kind of a guy, whcih I can respect. I'm loathe to fire a coach midseason for anything other than shenanigans.