Game Day Essentials: Game #22 vs Illinois

hhcmatt

Nebraska Cornhuskers (13-8) at Illinois Fighting Illini (6-15)

Date: Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019
Time: 1:15 p.m. 
Arena: State Farm Arena

Broadcast:  BTN

AT-71299b.jpg

Illinois Info

70683592014.gif
Head Coach: Brad Underwood

Conference: B1G
Nickname: Fightin Illini

MascotChief Illiniwek They got rid of Chief Illiniwek in 2007

Shirt not to wear: Orange, Blue

Last time out: Lost to Notre Dame
Typical Rotation Depth: 9+
Line: Nebraska by 4

Tempo: Fast paced

Defense: West Vriginia-esque pressrue

Player to watch: Trent Frazier

The dynamic sophomore has picked up where he left off last year and is the team's leading scorer, shooting 39.7% from 3

Player to watch: Giorgi Bezhanishvili

The 6'9" freshman is a ball of emotion and seems exactly like the type of player Brad Underwood wants at the 5. Excels at rebounding on both ends and has nice shooting touch at the rim though is foul prone.

KenPom Helps explain the Roster

PG SG SF PF C Pct
1 Trent Frazier
6-1  170  So
20 Da'Monte Williams
6-3  200  So
11 Ayo Dosunmu
6-5  185  Fr
23 Aaron Jordan
6-5  210  Sr
15 Giorgi Bezhanishvili
6-9  235  Fr

• 5 star Dosunmu has cooled off but is a threat to score 20 any given night
  • Aaron Jordan is a 3pt threat, shooting 40% on high volume
  • Da"Monte Williams has really been struggling to score
  • 6'6" Kipper Nichols is a inconsistent highlight reel dunker who slots in at the 4
  • Andres Feliz is a juco transfer originally committed to USF out of HS. The 6'2" guard has started a couple of games
  • Suspended during the Nebraska game, 6'7" Fr Tevian Jones has scored in double digits the last two games
  • 7' Grad Transfer Adonis De La Rosa and 7' Frosh Samba Kane play sparingly

The Skinny: Illinois is a 6 win team you don't want to play because of their non-standard attacking style and frenzied pace that one might use to erase a deficit.  Keeping the Illini off the offensive glass will be a challenge as well as not turning the ball over. What will help this struggling offense though is the number of easy buckets the aggressive Illinois defense gives up.  The Illini also don't have a 4 of significant size so the loss of Copeland won't be a drastic on defense.

If you look at the career of Glynn Watson vs Illlini, Nebraska has gone as he has. We'll see if that holds true today.

Prediction: Nebraska 72 - Illinois 68

View full article

Not a fan of this matchup right now because of our recent issues with energy and effort. That's exactly the kind of game that Illinois can beat you in. If we play as hard a we did against Wisconsin and shoot about the same as a junior high team with blindfolds, I like our chances. Anything less, though, and we might be in trouble again. 

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

ADIDAS alternates for us have been on point for basketball. Wish I could say the same for football.

Now, adidas needs to make their best stuff -- given to staff & student-athletes -- also available to the general public. This stuff would sell out.... like The Vault does every night! GBR !!!

Just now, AuroranHusker said:

Now, adidas needs to make their best stuff -- given to staff & student-athletes -- also available to the general public. This stuff would sell out.... like The Vault does every night! GBR !!!

Also one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't think they realize how starved we are for good fan gear. Seems like Nike does a much better job in that respect. 

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Also one of my biggest pet peeves. I don't think they realize how starved we are for good fan gear. Seems like Nike does a much better job in that respect. 

I've found that local NE distributors have picked up the slack. I scoop up whatever's done locally. Often it's high quality stuff, too. GBR !!!

12 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's been a mixed bag embodied by me forgetting my laptop in the Omaha airport because I was distracted by Bill Murray being there

He was no doubt on his way to the Pro-Am at Pebble Beach this week.  Cable Guy will be playing in it again with a big Husker hoops fan on his bag.  

9 minutes ago, HB said:

He was no doubt on his way to the Pro-Am at Pebble Beach this week.  Cable Guy will be playing in it again with a big Husker hoops fan on his bag.  

Maybe. He was on his way to LA on Thursday. Omaha isn't usually a place where one connects though Chicago was closed due to the cold.

I am to be reunited with my laptop tonight. If anyone gets there before me they can log in and gain control of the HHC. The password is mikegesell$basement