Moos

Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Sorry, but Miles didn’t crush anything with Nana or Brady.  Brady was never ready for the Big 10 play whether he played 5 or 25 minutes.  Nanas problems are his own.  I don’t care what Miles has said to him... you need to look in the mirror when you go from 40%+ to 6% 3 point percentage.

Brady would of had his struggles but after a very good game against Minnesota he got no playing time from there on out. Nanas minutes have been all over the place this year. Maybe he still struggles regardless but basketball is a lot easier when you know what your role is on a nightly basis.

15 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Another thought on the thought of some that Miles isn't a very good coach.  One of the names being brought up by "fans" is Eric Musselman.  He is the current head coach at Nevada.  Eric had the good fortune of having a Dad that provided him an in to some jobs.  He became head coach at Golden State and was fired by Chris Mullen due in part to a winning percentage of .457 and finishing runner up to Pop for coach of the year after his first year.  He went to the Sacramento Kings, and after getting a DUI was fired after a .402 winning percentage.  His overall record as a head coach in both the pros and in college, entering this season, was 208 wins and 168 losses.  

I would classify Eric Musselman as a good coach, but is he?

If you are including NBA records, why aren't you taking into account his other stops in pro basketball?

For me, I would not take into account NBA. That's a whole different deal than coaching college basketball.  In college basketball, he has won the CBI and made it to the sweet sixteen in 3 years. Tim Miles has not won one postseason game in 14 years as a D-1 HC. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This kid hasn't even committed to us, but we're gonna lose him if we get rid of Miles? Making a lot of assumptions with this statement. We're assuming that he is gonna commit to us, that the reason he is committing to us is Miles, that he will decommit if Miles is fired and that the new coach would have no chance of getting him to commit?

Yeah, one could argue that he may not commit to us if Miles is retained.  We just don't know.  Nor do we know that Williams will go elsewhere if Miles is fired. 

37 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Pat Chambers got a 4 year extension at Penn State after winning the NIT last year.  He's going to be let go after this year.

Riley got an extension.  Pelini got an extension.  Callahan got an extension.  The idea that extensions equal job stability?  They don't, and everybody knows it.

Thanks for finally hitting the nail properly after umpteen tries. How stupid do some fans think these players are? An extension is so standard now it's basically a non-factor. Most coaches get fired with contract time left. Few go out just by expiration of contract. There's a really high probability that Johnson went to Pitt for other reasons besides contract length. Dear lord. 

And speaking of that subject. We're fans of this team and, presumably, of this university. Not everyone is going to see your school as the holy ground you do. It's not exactly a criminal offense if you occaionally get picked last in dodgeball. Stop inventing reasons for why someone doesn't think you're as wonderful as you (and we) think you are. Sometimes you just don't get picked. 

5 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Yeah, one could argue that he may not commit to us if Miles is retained.  We just don't know.  Nor do we know that Williams will go elsewhere if Miles is fired. 

Our 2019 class is ranked 11th in the B1G on 247. I never would think about retaining a coach just because of recruiting, but if I did, it would have to be for a very special class (at least top 25 nationally). A new coach could be able to retain the instate kids from our 2019 and would have plenty of time to build in-roads with the 2020, 2021 kids. I just don't think the fear of retaining recruits should drive a coaching decision one way or the other.

16 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This kid hasn't even committed to us, but we're gonna lose him if we get rid of Miles? Making a lot of assumptions with this statement. We're assuming that he is gonna commit to us, that the reason he is committing to us is Miles, that he will decommit if Miles is fired and that the new coach would have no chance of getting him to commit?

Forgot the *could lose.  But yes. Miles is just starting to make roads in-state.  You know how long it took us to get there.  Lose Miles and you have a new guy starting all over.

28 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Another thought on the thought of some that Miles isn't a very good coach.  One of the names being brought up by "fans" is Eric Musselman.  He is the current head coach at Nevada.  Eric had the good fortune of having a Dad that provided him an in to some jobs.  He became head coach at Golden State and was fired by Chris Mullen due in part to a winning percentage of .457 and finishing runner up to Pop for coach of the year after his first year.  He went to the Sacramento Kings, and after getting a DUI was fired after a .402 winning percentage.  His overall record as a head coach in both the pros and in college, entering this season, was 208 wins and 168 losses.  

I would classify Eric Musselman as a good coach, but is he?

His dad also left Minnesota with more than 100 NCAA violations, in the 70s, when rules were a lot more lax than they are now. Eric may be very different from his dad, but if that's who he learned under, it does make you wonder.

15 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Brady would of had his struggles but after a very good game against Minnesota he got no playing time from there on out. Nanas minutes have been all over the place this year. Maybe he still struggles regardless but basketball is a lot easier when you know what your role is on a nightly basis.

This also assumes game performance is the only criteria for playing time in subsequent games and that practice performance has no bearing on it (nor do illness/injury status). Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Nana's biggest minutes came when Thomas and Roby were ill, and when he was hustling and busting his butt on the court. His minutes have dwindled with a., healthy starters (aside from Cope), and b., visible effort on the court. His role on a nightly basis (and daily, in practice) should be to work his tail off on defense and let his game come to him to score as needed. Have you seen either of those things lately? I might be old-school but it seems to me he needs to earn his playing time, not just be given more of it in hopes that he gets back to where he was before.

3 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

His dad also left Minnesota with more than 100 NCAA violations, in the 70s, when rules were a lot more lax than they are now. Eric may be very different from his dad, but if that's who he learned under, it does make you wonder.

This also assumes game performance is the only criteria for playing time in subsequent games and that practice performance has no bearing on it (nor do illness/injury status). Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Nana's biggest minutes came when Thomas and Roby were ill, and when he was hustling and busting his butt on the court. His minutes have dwindled with a., healthy starters (aside from Cope), and b., visible effort on the court. His role on a nightly basis (and daily, in practice) should be to work his tail off on defense and let his game come to him to score as needed. Have you seen either of those things lately? I might be old-school but it seems to me he needs to earn his playing time, not just be given more of it in hopes that he gets back to where he was before.

I'm not sure we have this luxury being that Miles failed to recruit a bench.  Nana needs to play, but lets hope with increased minutes he starts to insert himself because we need him. 

I don't think the contract is as important as the track record...Let's say you have a coach going into his 7th year that has  five year deal and is about a .500 coach vs a  coach that has a 3 year deal with the same record ...I think any sane person sees they are essentially in the same situation as far as job security...kids see that too...

11 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm not sure we have this luxury being that Miles failed to recruit a bench.  Nana needs to play, but lets hope with increased minutes he starts to insert himself because we need him. 

That's probably fair to say. I just meant this more in the sense that Miles didn't cause Nana to struggle by diminishing his playing time after his performance and hustle has been visibly subpar. Chicken and egg I guess.

Contact length is important for recruiting; buyout amount is important for administrators.

Not sure if Hunter stays but Moos could have come up with more years and adjusted the buyout wording so the buyout $$ were approximately the same. You could say the same thing for Eichorst.

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If you are including NBA records, why aren't you taking into account his other stops in pro basketball?

For me, I would not take into account NBA. That's a whole different deal than coaching college basketball.  In college basketball, he has won the CBI and made it to the sweet sixteen in 3 years. Tim Miles has not won one postseason game in 14 years as a D-1 HC. 

That's fair.  His overall coaching record is:  100–30 (NCAA) 108–138 (NBA) 270–122 (CBA) 53–3 (USBL) 77–30 (D-League).  So he has a good overall record.  But I guess I really struggled making my overall point.  At certain times in his career, he didn't win.  But that did not make him a bad coach.  The original post indicated that Miles wasn't a good coach.  I was attempting to indicate that Miles would not have made it to this level if he couldn't coach.  I was attempting to draw a parallel to Musselman, in that he is considered a good coach, despite having periods where he didn't win.  

42 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

That's fair.  His overall coaching record is:  100–30 (NCAA) 108–138 (NBA) 270–122 (CBA) 53–3 (USBL) 77–30 (D-League).  So he has a good overall record.  But I guess I really struggled making my overall point.  At certain times in his career, he didn't win.  But that did not make him a bad coach.  The original post indicated that Miles wasn't a good coach.  I was attempting to indicate that Miles would not have made it to this level if he couldn't coach.  I was attempting to draw a parallel to Musselman, in that he is considered a good coach, despite having periods where he didn't win.  

The only time he wasn’t basically an outstanding coach was in the nba. Where it’s more about managing talent then actually coaching 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Sorry, you don't make it the level that Miles is at without being a good coach.  He may or may not succeed, but he has done a lot right.  As far as transfers, yes players have walked...600 to 800 players a year across all colleges and universities transfer, that is the age we live in.  But if he is a bad coach, then why are players choosing to transfer to UNL?  Does the fact that players transfer here, make him a great coach...absolutely not.  

By the way, if he "isn't a very good coach" then how prey-tell did he ever win the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year after the 2014 season?  At some point Miles and Nebraska will part ways, until he does, I, any many others will support him and do so without casting aspersions.

https://huskercorner.com/2014/04/04/tim-miles-named-national-coach-year-continues-pave-new-trail/

We could get into semantics all day, but I feel we can (and should) do better than Miles (good coach, bad coach, or otherwise). I like the guy and wanted it to work, but it's just so glaringly obvious that he isn't the answer. Time to move on.

42 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

We could get into semantics all day, but I feel we can (and should) do better than Miles (good coach, bad coach, or otherwise). I like the guy and wanted it to work, but it's just so glaringly obvious that he isn't the answer. Time to move on.

Yeah, that was said after Joe passed away, after Moe walked out after a tournament appearance, after Danny loss favor with the masses, after Barry left for greener pastures and after Doc was fired.  Trying not to be an **hole, but I have heard the same rhetoric over and over.  Coach K isn't going to walk in here and raise the dead.  We are likely going to hire a coach and he will be a good coach (if Miles is fired) and we will have a split fan base again.  Where you are optimistic that the next guy has to be better, I have lived the whole Groundhog Day experience over and over and over again.  So excuse me that I am a bit pessimistic that our great coaching savior is just around the corner.  Miles has his flaws, but he has brought in Big Ten level players and assistant coaches.  We had this town and the state on fire until the last two and a half weeks transpired.  So...crap.

1 hour ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

The only time he wasn’t basically an outstanding coach was in the nba. Where it’s more about managing talent then actually coaching 

Gotta disagree.  Coaching in the NBA is greatly disrespected.  They are much better x and o coaches then people give them credit.  I would hire Pop at any level and at any time.  

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Gotta disagree.  Coaching in the NBA is greatly disrespected.  They are much better x and o coaches then people give them credit.  I would hire Pop at any level and at any time.  

Popovich is an aberration at the NBA level, though. He coaches the Spurs almost like a college program coach. A system guy in an era where there aren't many systems that can stay in place for years at a time. 

I think college coaches are largely a crap shoot. It takes very little in the bad luck department to nail an otherwise competent coach in college. And even in the B1G, the most respected coaches were all dice rolls when they started. Izzo the long time assistant after a legend in Heathcote; Beilein coming from UWV (back then viewed as largely a mid major kind of program), Painter a one year mid major wonder at Southern Illinois, etc. You just don't always know who's going to stick and so much of that is a small number of killer breaks. 

1 hour ago, tcp said:

Popovich is an aberration at the NBA level, though. He coaches the Spurs almost like a college program coach. A system guy in an era where there aren't many systems that can stay in place for years at a time. 

I think college coaches are largely a crap shoot. It takes very little in the bad luck department to nail an otherwise competent coach in college. And even in the B1G, the most respected coaches were all dice rolls when they started. Izzo the long time assistant after a legend in Heathcote; Beilein coming from UWV (back then viewed as largely a mid major kind of program), Painter a one year mid major wonder at Southern Illinois, etc. You just don't always know who's going to stick and so much of that is a small number of killer breaks. 

Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens, Doc Rivers, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, Fred Hoiberg, George Karl, Jerry Sloan, and on and on.  There seems to be a lot of aberrations

29 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens, Doc Rivers, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Red Auerbach, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, Fred Hoiberg, George Karl, Jerry Sloan, and on and on.  There seems to be a lot of aberrations

I should have known I'd have to be more time specific. Anachronism would've probably been the better word. 

As for the current coaches in the league (and of recent vintage), you have 3 or 4. And none of them have the tenure of Popovich. 

So just to reiterate, I didn't say Pop was alone, nor did I say there've never been system coaches. But I wasn't clear that I was referring to *this era*. So if you say 'Naismith' or something, I'm throwing dirt dishes at you...:)

While Moos has done great things for Nebraska football, thus far, here’s a “no confidence” vote on his basketball capabilities.  

Here are two reasons why:

1.  Washington St.’s record over the past seven seasons (his hire is still there) is terrible—truly terrible!!!  Here is that under-.500 record:

2018-19: 8-14 so far

2017-18: 12-19

2016-17: 14-18

2015-16: 9-22

2014-15: 13-18

2013-14: 10-21

2012-13: 13-19

2.  Moos has exhibited, from the beginning, a passive/aggressive approach toward Tim Miles.  If he wanted Miles gone—just fire him already.  Instead, he kept Miles on the payroll but undermined him every now and then.  And here we are, wallowing in disappointment.  Incomprehensible!!!

Think of it this way: Kenya Hunter left because he saw the handwriting on the wall . . . and because that happened, we have Amir Harris, instead of Xavier Johnson.

Here’s hoping Moos has a viable plan for the future of Nebrasketball.  And here’s a “no confidence” vote regarding that hope!

Edited by Swan88

7 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

While Moos has done great things for Nebraska football, thus far, here’s a “no confidence” vote on his basketball capabilities.  

Here are two reasons why:

1.  Washington St.’s record over the past seven seasons (his hire is still there) is terrible—truly terrible!!!  Here is that under-.500 record:

2018-19: 8-14 so far

2017-18: 12-19

2016-17: 14-18

2015-16: 9-22

2014-15: 13-18

2013-14: 10-21

2012-13: 13-19

2.  Moos has exhibited, from the beginning, a passive/aggressive approach toward Tim Miles.  If he wanted Miles gone—just fire him already.  Instead, he kept Miles on the payroll but undermined him at every negative turn of events.  And here we are, wallowing in disappointment.  Incomprehensible!!!

Here’s hoping Moos has a viable plan for the future of Nebrasketball.  And here’s a “no confidence” vote regarding that hope!

I'm not a Moos defender at all, but here's my two takes:

1. Nebraska has an entirely different budget for football than Washington State does.

2. Moos giving Miles an extension is likely due to the timing of Moos' hire and Miles' win column success.

23 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

My edit addition didn’t make it into your quote—sorry.  So, here it is:

“Think of it this way: Kenya Hunter left because he saw the handwriting on the wall . . . and because that happened, we have Amir Harris, instead of Xavier Johnson.“

That's a significant difference to how this 2018-19 season has played out... Nebraska would have had a legit D-1 baller in 'X' as either 6th man or in lieu of Allen in the starting 5. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Edited by AuroranHusker

24 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

My edit addition didn’t make it into your quote—sorry.  So, here it is:

“Think of it this way: Kenya Hunter left because he saw the handwriting on the wall . . . and because that happened, we have Amir Harris, instead of Xavier Johnson.“

Kenya also left for a better job, right?? I don’t think you can blame that all on Miles’ contract situation.