Moos

Norm Peterson

I just noticed that Xavier Johnson is averaging 17 points a game as a freshman for pit and hung 30 on Syracuse the other night. By moose not extending miles contract he essentially kept the missing piece for Nebraska’s team from coming here and further buried miles and forced Kenya Hunter to look for a job stability. I’m so pissed right now. Moos should never be allowed to dabble in basketball coaching evaluations. He’s a disaster. This program was likely sent back several years thanks to that decision

No question in my mind.  By not extending, you are painting a picture of "dead man walking."  You either extend or terminate.  By playing the middle ground, you are going to lose recruits, and perhaps current players.  As far as Moos's role, I am not convinced he cannot find a quality coach, but much depends on the individuals he leverages in his process.  Question, does Moos land Frost without assistance, especially from Matt?

I do not want to leverage the above to indicate our Director of Athletics is inept.  Because quite the contrary he may be exceptional at his job.  But he did leverage a bad tactic (in my mind) with his actions on Coach Miles.  Yet he was an an excellent tactician in landing Frost.  So... 

This thread is ridiculous. What about all the players who transferred or left early BEFORE Moos was hired (Biggs, Hawkins, Wagner, Vucetic, Petteway, Pitchford, Smith, White, Evelyn, Hammond, Morrow, Jacobson, Horne)? There are some really good players listed there that we would all LOVE to still have in the program. Is Moos to blame for those? Gonna blame Eichorst? Boehm?

Accept the fact that Miles just isn't a very good coach - THAT is why he wasn't extended. Not because Moos wanted to bury the program. That is ludicrous and illogical. Like many, many other Nebrasketball fans, I thought Moos' one-year extension was the correct play.

Edited by dustystehl

It's either fire or extend at least three years. This one year stuff just leaves the door open for other schools recruiting the same players to say "hey look, he's still in "evaluation mode" and probably won't be around if they have a bad year this year, do you really want to risk wasting a year of eligibility by going there and then having him be fired?" This is a big disadvantage for recruiting and trying to build something going forward. Yes there is the other side of things where he's had seven years to get it right and hasn't. I just think the one year thing was not the right thing to do. But also Dustystehl's point is valid with all of the players that have transferred that we'd love to still have that still have eligibility left. There has to be something driving them away and I think a lot of it was they were playing out of position and not being able to be as productive as they would be playing their desired position. 

I don't know...there are arguments for keeping Miles and arguments against it. I just don't agree with the one year extension as it just looks bad all around. Moos is not the reason for all of the previous suckiness but the one year eval does not help anything. 

22 minutes ago, burgundy95 said:

It's either fire or extend at least three years. This one year stuff just leaves the door open for other schools recruiting the same players to say "hey look, he's still in "evaluation mode" and probably won't be around if they have a bad year this year, do you really want to risk wasting a year of eligibility by going there and then having him be fired?" This is a big disadvantage for recruiting and trying to build something going forward. Yes there is the other side of things where he's had seven years to get it right and hasn't. I just think the one year thing was not the right thing to do. But also Dustystehl's point is valid with all of the players that have transferred that we'd love to still have that still have eligibility left. There has to be something driving them away and I think a lot of it was they were playing out of position and not being able to be as productive as they would be playing their desired position. 

I don't know...there are arguments for keeping Miles and arguments against it. I just don't agree with the one year extension as it just looks bad all around. Moos is not the reason for all of the previous suckiness but the one year eval does not help anything. 

Miles results also do not help recruiting. One-year extensions aren't great, but I also don't think Moos wanted to fire two coaches in a three-month span. It was just a tough spot to be in. And maybe the basketball program suffered because of it. But it's not like we hadn't been suffering before that!

19 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

A very valid point could be made that we have only one loss at the time of copes injury if we have Xavier. Of coarse who knows if miles lets him play 20+ minutes a game right away but he’s a difference maker

Xavier Johnson would not have as long of a leash under Miles than what he currently has at Pitt. Miles is notorious for pulling freshman after one mistake. He did it with Roby all the time - no wonder he still plays so timidly.

26 minutes ago, burgundy95 said:

This theory makes sense... but I wonder if there has ever been any studies. I can’t imagine every quasi-successful coach has a 4-year contract, and I can’t imagine every coach struggles with recruiting. 

In reality, I suppose it’s a combination of factors that are impossible to measure. 

Part of me thinks the whole “a coach needs a 4-year contract to recruit effectively” probably started with agents representing coaches. If a coach is succeeding, job security is there regardless of number of years on his extension. 

6 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Xavier Johnson would not have as long of a leash under Miles than what he currently has at Pitt. Miles is notorious for pulling freshman after one mistake. He did it with Roby all the time - no wonder he still plays so timidly.

Yup woulda likely crushed his confidence similar to what has happened w nana and Brady this year.

2 hours ago, DOATHLON said:

I just noticed that Xavier Johnson is averaging 17 points a game as a freshman for pit and hung 30 on Syracuse the other night. By moose not extending miles contract he essentially kept the missing piece for Nebraska’s team from coming here and further buried miles and forced Kenya Hunter to look for a job stability. I’m so pissed right now. Moos should never be allowed to dabble in basketball coaching evaluations. He’s a disaster. This program was likely sent back several years thanks to that decision

1.  Kenya was leaving regardless IMO

2. Xavier Johnson would not be nearly as good under Miles, although I would still gladly take him over a guard that is not willing or can't take a jumper. 

3. Considering how the season has gone, Moos not buying Miles stock appears to be a good move

Edited by huskerbaseball13

6 minutes ago, B-town hoopsfan said:

Yup woulda likely crushed his confidence similar to what has happened w nana and Brady this year.

Sorry, but Miles didn’t crush anything with Nana or Brady.  Brady was never ready for the Big 10 play whether he played 5 or 25 minutes.  Nanas problems are his own.  I don’t care what Miles has said to him... you need to look in the mirror when you go from 40%+ to 6% 3 point percentage.

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

This thread is ridiculous. What about all the players who transferred or left early BEFORE Moos was hired (Biggs, Hawkins, Wagner, Vucetic, Petteway, Pitchford, Smith, White, Evelyn, Hammond, Morrow, Jacobson, Horne)? There are some really good players listed there that we would all LOVE to still have in the program. Is Moos to blame for those? Gonna blame Eichorst? Boehm?

Accept the fact that Miles just isn't a very good coach - THAT is why he wasn't extended. Not because Moos wanted to bury the program. That is ludicrous and illogical. Like many, many other Nebrasketball fans, I thought Moos' one-year extension was the correct play.

Petteway really should not be included in your list, he left for a professional career which should be a plus when saying see we get kids to the pros.  Biggs got kicked off the team for not following the rules.  Morrow Jacobson and Horne would be adding depth indeed..  Hawkins, Vucetic, Hammond, Evelyn, Wagner, Smith really are stretches to say would add quality of depth.  White was a d-bag in how he and dad handled his last year.  Pitchford was done with basketball and last I read, was getting good at Beer Pong in the bars.  Eichorst and Moos both as mentioned should have fired Tim or given him 4 years.  No they are not to blame for all of the mess as some of the flaws in year one of Miles are still rearing their head with his teams.

35 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

This I will agree with 100%  Webster would turn the ball over 2 straight trips and nothing, Roby did and he got pine.

2 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Sorry, you don't make it the level that Miles is at without being a good coach.  He may or may not succeed, but he has done a lot right.  As far as transfers, yes players have walked...600 to 800 players a year across all colleges and universities transfer, that is the age we live in.  But if he is a bad coach, then why are players choosing to transfer to UNL?  Does the fact that players transfer here, make him a great coach...absolutely not.  

By the way, if he "isn't a very good coach" then how prey-tell did he ever win the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year after the 2014 season?  At some point Miles and Nebraska will part ways, until he does, I, any many others will support him and do so without casting aspersions.

https://huskercorner.com/2014/04/04/tim-miles-named-national-coach-year-continues-pave-new-trail/

Another thought on the thought of some that Miles isn't a very good coach.  One of the names being brought up by "fans" is Eric Musselman.  He is the current head coach at Nevada.  Eric had the good fortune of having a Dad that provided him an in to some jobs.  He became head coach at Golden State and was fired by Chris Mullen due in part to a winning percentage of .457 and finishing runner up to Pop for coach of the year after his first year.  He went to the Sacramento Kings, and after getting a DUI was fired after a .402 winning percentage.  His overall record as a head coach in both the pros and in college, entering this season, was 208 wins and 168 losses.  

I would classify Eric Musselman as a good coach, but is he?

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Also, losing Miles lose us not just one, but two in-state 4* kids.  Just something to think about as well.

This kid hasn't even committed to us, but we're gonna lose him if we get rid of Miles? Making a lot of assumptions with this statement. We're assuming that he is gonna commit to us, that the reason he is committing to us is Miles, that he will decommit if Miles is fired and that the new coach would have no chance of getting him to commit?

Edited by The Polish Rifle