Moos

Norm Peterson

7 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I guess this rules out Rick Pitino too.

honestly don't care at this point. if the guy isn't in prison or banned from ncaa, then hire him. lol

pitino did a lot of shady stuff, but recruits still wanted to play for him. so what's it matter?

and most importantly he knows how to coach basketball.

Edited by TimSmiles

22 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

honestly don't care at this point. if the guy isn't in prison or banned from ncaa, then hire him. lol

pitino did a lot of shady stuff, but recruits still wanted to play for him. so what's it matter?

And pay players to play.

58 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Ew. It's one thing to cover for your player who steals a bike or cheats on a test. But covering for your player who habitually rapes people (and using a ministry to do it) is a whole other level. I'm not asking for a saint but this should be a pretty low bar to clear. UCLA caught plenty of flak for hiring him after that (and there were plenty of protests at Iowa too), as they should. I'm not a fan of how Osborne handled stuff in the 90s either (arguably it cost him the governor's mansion too), but I would hope we could learn from that and do better now. "Hire someone who doesn't try to actively cover up serial rape" shouldn't be a groundbreaking statement.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm almost sorry anyone had to even read that guys post. This is why no fan base is exceptional. Because everyone has to deal with this garbage. 

43 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

Give me Tim Miles 10 times out of 10 before we go this route.  Mother of God.

As another example of the administration not fully supporting basketball, here's a post from Twitter showing Moos having a great time at a football recruiting event at the same time the basketball team was playing a real game in Lincoln. Tell me this doesn't send a clear message that basketball is second fiddle and not a priority when he's skipping a game to attend this event. I don't care if the coach is on the hot seat or not, he should be at every game possible. He made all the football games with Riley on the hot seat!

13 minutes ago, Buglem said:

As another example of the administration not fully supporting basketball, here's a post from Twitter showing Moos having a great time at a football recruiting event at the same time the basketball team was playing a real game in Lincoln. Tell me this doesn't send a clear message that basketball is second fiddle and not a priority when he's skipping a game to attend this event. I don't care if the coach is on the hot seat or not, he should be at every game possible. He made all the football games with Riley on the hot seat!

I get what you're saying, and generally agree.   But another way of looking at it is Moos should be doing whatever Scott Frost tells him to do!  ??

15 minutes ago, HB said:

I get what you're saying, and generally agree.   But another way of looking at it is Moos should be doing whatever Scott Frost tells him to do!  ??

Maybe Frost can coach basketball in his free time! ?

16 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

1620 brought this up a while back and it has something to do with Moos not allowing outside contractors or something to that effect inside the athletic department. It wasn’t just a basketball thing, but an all sport thing. 

I have no idea if Moos has or even should bend over for Miles on everything.  But, I feel confident in saying that Miles had enough resources to build a winner. At the end of the day, Miles is ultimately to blame for the current state of the program and the year after year lack of fundamentals and poor shooting on offense. 

Totally get that it isn't basketball-specific, but it does seem like a weird policy, especially since it seems to be sort of randomly applied (Volleyball was allowed to work with him for the majority of their season, and does anyone really think that if Scott Frost wanted to have someone come in to talk to the football team, it wouldn't be permitted?). Maybe it doesn't make a difference at all, I don't know. But if it isn't costing anything, and the coach feels like it's worthwhile, and literally the same person has seen good results with other teams within the same department, I guess it seems like an odd policy to enact. If it flips even a single game outcome (and gives us a two or three or four game losing streak instead of the continuous slide as we bottom out), isn't that worth it?

Again, not saying THIS is the reason we're losing. But the question was about support shown for the coaches by the administration, and this is one example of a place where there was a very easy opportunity to provide something the coach felt was useful (without adding a penny to the budget or a minute of time spent) and instead a random policy was enacted, thus denying said support.

36 minutes ago, Buglem said:

To me this is a overboard. Football drives this Athletic Department like it or not and national signing day was Feb 6th which I'm sure was set in stone well before this game was scheduled. I'm a basketball guy and sure as heck know that the AD should be showing up at the airplane hangar, not a rando sporting event on such a day.

16 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

if you want to hire a saint, you're gonna end up with tim miles or mike riley.

even osborne had his issues, but nobody seems to care about the stuff he covered up...

ucla kept alford for 5 years after this incident occurred... he would have been let go if he had done something bad enough.

Mike Riley was no saint and I'll just leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Buglem said:

Considering it was a giant donor event and many of the people in attendance contribute to not only football but the entire Athletic Department as a whole, I'd say he made the right choice.

27 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

To me this is a overboard. Football drives this Athletic Department like it or not and national signing day was Feb 6th which I'm sure was set in stone well before this game was scheduled. I'm a basketball guy and sure as heck know that the AD should be showing up at the airplane hangar, not a rando sporting event on such a day.

I get your point but disagree. Especially when you have a program that looks to be in free fall and everyone is already questioning your conspicuous absence at the rest of the games. Under "normal" circumstances I could agree with you but it's not anywhere near normal circumstances right now. I'd like to have some type of reassurance that Moos is paying attention and cares about basketball. Thus far, I've seen almost none. 

BTW, I'm not saying he should be at the game to support Miles or that Miles should be retained. Just saying I have almost no faith in how he's handled basketball and this is another example of it.

2 hours ago, Buglem said:

Is anyone arguing that basketball doesn’t play second fiddle here? I’m a bigger Nebraska basketball fan than I am Nebraska football fan, and I’m ok with second fiddle to football here. That doesn’t mean we don’t have the resources/support to win...

32 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Considering it was a giant donor event and many of the people in attendance contribute to not only football but the entire Athletic Department as a whole, I'd say he made the right choice.

Fair point on the donor side, hadn't thought of that aspect.

4 minutes ago, nebrasketball10 said:

Is anyone arguing that basketball doesn’t play second fiddle here? I’m a bigger Nebraska basketball fan than I am Nebraska football fan, and I’m ok with second fiddle to football here. That doesn’t mean we don’t have the resources/support to win...

I'm not saying it doesn't play second fiddle.  My worry/question here is whether we have a good AD that can build a successful basketball program or if we have "the guy that hired Scott Frost".

1 hour ago, ladyhusker said:

Again, not saying THIS is the reason we're losing. But the question was about support shown for the coaches by the administration, and this is one example of a place where there was a very easy opportunity to provide something the coach felt was useful (without adding a penny to the budget or a minute of time spent) and instead a random policy was enacted, thus denying said support.

TBH I didn't know anything about Jack Riggins other than he was very self-promoting on twitter so I didn't necessarily think that highly of him though obviously his services were in demand from volleyball and basketball so that meant something.  Just listening to him talking on 1620 it's pretty obvious he could be helping this team right now and it's a shame that isn't allowed to happen.

37 minutes ago, Buglem said:

I get your point but disagree. Especially when you have a program that looks to be in free fall and everyone is already questioning your conspicuous absence at the rest of the games. Under "normal" circumstances I could agree with you but it's not anywhere near normal circumstances right now. I'd like to have some type of reassurance that Moos is paying attention and cares about basketball. Thus far, I've seen almost none. 

BTW, I'm not saying he should be at the game to support Miles or that Miles should be retained. Just saying I have almost no faith in how he's handled basketball and this is another example of it.

Honestly, he might be doing the team a favor by staying away. Imagine how awful the players feel, and that they know their coach is in career jeopardy. Many of them are feeling some primo guilt about that, whether they should or not. Now imagine having the proverbial "hanging judge" there watching every move. Our guys are playing too tight as it is. You think his presence won't make them tighter? 

I think we have a tendency to look at these things solely from fans point of views, obviously. AD not being there a sign of indifference. Or a sign that the coaching decision's made. Or a lack of support. But there are other equally plausible and even more likely explanation that are not as nefarious. It just requires you to see through someone else's eyes other than your own. Not always easy. 

Whoa that was a good listen @hhcmatt. I hadn't heard it yet but yeah...sounds like he could bring some much-needed perspective that a coach entrenched in it may not come up with independently (and he wouldn't have a business if other coaches didn't find that valuable, so I don't see it as a negative on a coach to want to bring in that type of training, whether it's Miles or Cook or whoever else he's worked with). That policy seems even more asinine after listening to him.

At this particular point moment trying to draw meaning from whether or not Moos is at a game is like trying to draw meaning from reading the players' social media postings: an exercise in seeing what you want to see. If we end up replacing Miles and he's showing up next year in one of those Herbie basketball hats? Then you'll know.

12 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

Whoa that was a good listen @hhcmatt. I hadn't heard it yet but yeah...sounds like he could bring some much-needed perspective that a coach entrenched in it may not come up with independently (and he wouldn't have a business if other coaches didn't find that valuable, so I don't see it as a negative on a coach to want to bring in that type of training, whether it's Miles or Cook or whoever else he's worked with). That policy seems even more asinine after listening to him.

I've heard about him, read the articles, it does seem he provides a helpful service. I haven't heard the segment as I'm at work. I did intern in NCAA compliance and know there is a lot of gray area with outside consultants especially if they are working one-on-one with the kids. I would guess the policy is in place to protect against NCAA violations, and if he was brought in without first an OK by the compliance staff - it could explain was he was asked to stop. I pulled this from ASUs website, but there is a lot of hoops to jump through if you want a consultant to come assist athletes. Again, no idea if Nebraska covered these steps before bringing Mr. Riggins on, just giving a reason why he might have been asked to cease for the time being.

NCAA legislation permits institutions to use outside consultants for noncoaching tasks.  Teams risk exceeding countable coach limitations if outside consultants engage in coaching activities by doing any of the following:

• Providing technical or tactical instruction to a student-athlete;
  • Making or assisting in making tactical decisions during on-court/on-field practice or competition; or
  • Recruiting off campus on behalf of ASU.

The Compliance Office and SDA Administration, in coordination with campus offices, must review all outside consultants.  Thus, coaches and staff members who want to use an outside consultant must complete Outside Consultant Request form (ARMS access available here here) and receive approval before the consultant starts working with SDA.

4 hours ago, Buglem said:

Had Moos attended the basketball game one has to wonder if it would have raised our FG% atleast 5 points to get over 25% for the game. 

9 hours ago, Buglem said:

I wish Moos would hire an associate AD for basketball that makes men's and women's basketball his sole responsibility. I've been told Boehm no longer serves in this capacity