Moos

Norm Peterson

4 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I don't view Nee as a bad choice.

I think we would kill for his run of success right now.

We would sacrifice virgins in his honor if a coach goes to 5 NCAAs, 3 NITs (including an NIT championship) and wins a conference tournament over the next 10 years.

Sorry, let me explain myself better. I don't think Nee was bad either, or Cip or Iba for that matter. What I'm getting at is that it hasn't mattered who we have had, they have all essentially experienced the same fate (Cip was different obviously from what I've read, I'm only 34). Miles and Nee are similar to me. Take the 96 NIT champs. That team had Lue, Strickland, Moore, Hamilton, Badgett, and Boone. 4 of them played in the NBA, one went on to be the B12 POY (on a team that didn't even make the Dance in 98-99), and Boone was probably as talented if not more than all but never made the NBA for personal reasons. For that team to be an NIT team is similar to this year's, but probably worse. That team should've been a sweet 16/elite 8 team, but instead, goes and wins the NIT.

4 minutes ago, nustudent said:

Maybe.   But I think we might be surprised how 'lucky' we might be, when we stop making bad decisions or limiting ourselves from making a good one.

So up 'til now we've been making bad decisions? Please expand, explaining why it was bad a bad decision when we hired each of our previous 3 coaches (Collier, Sadler, Miles) and what better options did we have? How were they bad hires?

5 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

LOL...I was sitting around thinking that perhaps we should go totally outside the box.  We need to change the culture.  Thus, we need a coach who understands what it takes to build the right culture.  Somebody who has played in a program with strong culture.  Somebody who has helped build a strong culture.  Someone who understands Nebraska and and what it takes to become successful.  Someone who has been around the basketball program and what it is going to take to move to the elite level.

I know a possible name...do you?

Kent P.

I'm seeing some "Nebraska has never been good so we're never gonna be good" sentiments today. Get that crap out of your head. That's a losing mentality. I would rather see people fired up over the lack of success than just settling for it. At least that shows they care and want to win. I know this sucks, but even the slightest possibility of the next coach getting this going is enough to get me fired up!

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

LOL...I was sitting around thinking that perhaps we should go totally outside the box.  We need to change the culture.  Thus, we need a coach who understands what it takes to build the right culture.  Somebody who has played in a program with strong culture.  Somebody who has helped build a strong culture.  Someone who understands Nebraska and and what it takes to become successful.  Someone who has been around the basketball program and what it is going to take to move to the elite level.

I know a possible name...do you?

Eric Piatkowski?

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

We would sacrifice virgins in his honor if a coach goes to 5 NCAAs, 3 NITs (including an NIT championship) and wins a conference tournament over the next 10 years.

This post draws out my first ever comment on this board after years of lurking. Some of the best years of of my Husker basketball life were the Nee years. Every year I had hope. Every year was exciting. The athletes where amazing. Sure they all ended in disappointment but the thought "always next year" meant something way different than it does now. My fandom has diminished since Nee was fired. Nebraska basketball has never been the same. That was many years ago though. I quit watching Nebraska basketball after Nee was fired. I was at his last game. I think it was win against Colorado. Always next year came to mean something completely different since then. After staying away from NCAA basketball for a few years I started watching the game I loved again. Only it was Creighton basketball. You can thank Dana Altman for that. I've been Creighton fan ever since. I lurk over here because I love the people on this board. I find the fans on the Creighton boards fairly annoying. I think Tim Miles has done a good job. The last couple of teams looked really good. This years team looked amazing in the beginning. I don't know what happened but I think it was something more in the head than the physical skills.

So i'll slide back in the shadows and upvote and down vote as I see fit. This is your house and I want to be a good guest.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I'm disappointed you would waste virgins in this way, student, but unsurprised. It explains much. 

You sacrifice chickens, dude. Maybe people who like Mariah Carey videos (sorry, Papa). But never virgins. 

1 minute ago, tcp said:

I'm disappointed you would waste virgins in this way, student, but unsurprised. It explains much. 

You sacrifice chickens, dude. Maybe people who like Mariah Carey videos (sorry, Papa). But never virgins. 

Maybe he meant virgin chickens, tcp.  

5 minutes ago, jaimes2000 said:

This post draws out my first ever comment on this board after years of lurking. Some of the best years of of my Husker basketball life were the Nee years. Every year I had hope. Every year was exciting. The athletes where amazing. Sure they all ended in disappointment but the thought "always next year" meant something way different than it does now. My fandom has diminished since Nee was fired. Nebraska basketball has never been the same. That was many years ago though. I quit watching Nebraska basketball after Nee was fired. I was at his last game. I think it was win against Colorado. Always next year came to mean something completely different since then. After staying away from NCAA basketball for a few years I started watching the game I loved again. Only it was Creighton basketball. You can thank Dana Altman for that. I've been Creighton fan ever since. I lurk over here because I love the people on this board. I find the fans on the Creighton boards fairly annoying. I think Tim Miles has done a good job. The last couple of teams looked really good. This years team looked amazing in the beginning. I don't know what happened but I think it was something more in the head than the physical skills.

So i'll slide back in the shadows and upvote and down vote as I see fit. This is your house and I want to be a good guest.

Brother Jaimes, it is not too late to repent and avoid the flames of hellfire...:)  

6 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

We had a team where we knew that there wasn't an "alpha dog" at the beginning of the season and we were working with a guy who specializes in "rebuilding leadership styles" and he got axed by the admin (this also happened to the volleyball team).  Maybe it doesn't make a lick of difference but it shows at least some effort to help the coach who identified the potential problem this year during the summer.

The point to harping on the lack of *whatever* from the administration is that it does matter, especially during the bad times, and what makes anyone think that this will all be fixed by hiring a new basketball coach?

From a couple pages back...I think this is a bigger deal than the airtime it's receiving. You had a resource being given freely to the AD (if you follow Twitter you see that his services were on a volunteer basis, so it didn't even cost the department a penny) that clearly was effective -- the volleyball team certainly benefitted from his services, and the basketball team looked entirely different in November (before he was axed) than it does now. But the administration, who allegedly is committed to providing all the resources the team needs for success, intentionally eliminated this one. Why? (If you want to say that this should be the coach's job, I hope you'd tell John Cook the same thing and to give back that national championship.) Support doesn't have to mean a nice facility to practice. It doesn't have to mean a big buyout. Sometimes it can just mean showing a modicum of interest in the program, and not cutting out the resource the coach himself identified as being a need for his team.

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Do you think of these as traditionally football schools or basketball schools?  

Historically, K-State and ISU are basketball schools.  KSU had Tex Winter as a coach, Jack Hartman and Lon Kruger.  ISU has valued Basketball since they hired a Johnny Orr away from Michigan.  

the bright side of all this is that Moos has had a ton of time to think about who to hire. even going back to last year there were questions about keeping miles. he's basically had a full year to come up with some names. if moos botches this hire then he's clearly not trying very hard. only ucla/texas has more money to spend then we do for a coach. and i'd even be fine if we ended up with shaka or alford at nebraska.

2 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

i'd even be fine if we ended up with shaka or alford at nebraska

From CBS Chicago in 2013:

Pierre Pierce performed unwanted sex acts on a female student at his apartment, covering her mouth when she tried to scream. He eventually plea-bargained to a charge of assault causing injury, later issuing a public apology for “inappropriate sexual contact with a fellow student.”

Had Alford succeeded in his efforts to strong-arm the victim, it all would have evaporated. The disgusting ploy backfired, however, and only steeled her resolve to pursue criminal charges.

Alford enlisted the help of close friend Jim Goodrich, the campus representative for Christian group Athletes in Action who often traveled with the team and conducted bible-study sessions. Per specific instruction from Alford, the victim was invited to what she was told was a “prayer meeting,” at which she was urged to back off and not cause problems for a basketball program that could overpower her.

This could describe James Naismith and I would beg for someone else. If we have even a shred of decency we will stay far, far, far away from Steve Alford.

13 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

From CBS Chicago in 2013:

Pierre Pierce performed unwanted sex acts on a female student at his apartment, covering her mouth when she tried to scream. He eventually plea-bargained to a charge of assault causing injury, later issuing a public apology for “inappropriate sexual contact with a fellow student.”

Had Alford succeeded in his efforts to strong-arm the victim, it all would have evaporated. The disgusting ploy backfired, however, and only steeled her resolve to pursue criminal charges.

Alford enlisted the help of close friend Jim Goodrich, the campus representative for Christian group Athletes in Action who often traveled with the team and conducted bible-study sessions. Per specific instruction from Alford, the victim was invited to what she was told was a “prayer meeting,” at which she was urged to back off and not cause problems for a basketball program that could overpower her.

This could describe James Naismith and I would beg for someone else. If we have even a shred of decency we will stay far, far, far away from Steve Alford.

if you want to hire a saint, you're gonna end up with tim miles or mike riley.

even osborne had his issues, but nobody seems to care about the stuff he covered up...

ucla kept alford for 5 years after this incident occurred... he would have been let go if he had done something bad enough.

58 minutes ago, ladyhusker said:

From a couple pages back...I think this is a bigger deal than the airtime it's receiving. You had a resource being given freely to the AD (if you follow Twitter you see that his services were on a volunteer basis, so it didn't even cost the department a penny) that clearly was effective -- the volleyball team certainly benefitted from his services, and the basketball team looked entirely different in November (before he was axed) than it does now. But the administration, who allegedly is committed to providing all the resources the team needs for success, intentionally eliminated this one. Why? (If you want to say that this should be the coach's job, I hope you'd tell John Cook the same thing and to give back that national championship.) Support doesn't have to mean a nice facility to practice. It doesn't have to mean a big buyout. Sometimes it can just mean showing a modicum of interest in the program, and not cutting out the resource the coach himself identified as being a need for his team.

1620 brought this up a while back and it has something to do with Moos not allowing outside contractors or something to that effect inside the athletic department. It wasn’t just a basketball thing, but an all sport thing. 

I have no idea if Moos has or even should bend over for Miles on everything.  But, I feel confident in saying that Miles had enough resources to build a winner. At the end of the day, Miles is ultimately to blame for the current state of the program and the year after year lack of fundamentals and poor shooting on offense. 

if you want to hire a saint, you're gonna end up with tim miles or mike riley.

even osborne had his issues, but nobody seems to care about the stuff he covered up...

ucla kept alford for 5 years after this incident occurred... he would have been let go if he had done something bad enough.
Ew. It's one thing to cover for your player who steals a bike or cheats on a test. But covering for your player who habitually rapes people (and using a ministry to do it) is a whole other level. I'm not asking for a saint but this should be a pretty low bar to clear. UCLA caught plenty of flak for hiring him after that (and there were plenty of protests at Iowa too), as they should. I'm not a fan of how Osborne handled stuff in the 90s either (arguably it cost him the governor's mansion too), but I would hope we could learn from that and do better now. "Hire someone who doesn't try to actively cover up serial rape" shouldn't be a groundbreaking statement.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk